Thread: Clearwater creek control use area sheep hunting??

Default Clearwater creek control use area sheep hunting??

So was wondering if anyone has looked into or made any successful sheep hunt in to the Clearwater control use area? Any pilots that have flown it seen much up there for sheep? I'm sure I won't get any response in this but it's worth a shot any Info is better then none. Really wanting to get a few days to try a solo hunt. Looking at hiking in to the Clearwater creek itself of MacLaren river drainage. I am going to try and make it up there this spring or summer to do some scouting around there that is if I can afford to take a day or 2 off work. With my line of work that conflicts a quite a bit. So fingers crossed!

Well I have never hunted sheep there, but I have hiked around those mountains for caribou. I must admit I never even thought to bring a sheep tag as I have never seen any sheep in the area. Though I admit I have never been more then a couple miles off the road.
    Maybe try contacting Alpine Creek Lodge. The folks there have always been friendly and helpful, and they are located right where the mountains are next to the road.
    Hope that helps,
    Dave

I never seen sheep in there either. Although it wouldn't suprise me
    If occasional one came thru crossing from the talkeetna's into the ak range. But I wouldn't expect hunt able numbers. Probably more in hatchers pass.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Thanks for the info Dave I will call them and see what they know I sure would hate to waste a a day off to find there's nothing there since I only get maybe 3 days off in the summer. I would rather use those days to look a rams to see if there's any leagle ones rather then white rocks!! Not to mention the drive. Although it is beautiful country on the denali hwy. My father did take a really nice brooded ram in the middle of that mountain range (DCUA) not to far from where I'm looking at going. Thanks agen for what both of you know and the info provided.

It seems like good sheep habitat, but I've never seen any in there either. Good luck in your quest, though.

Well called alpine creek lodge and a couple pilots in the area and have since determined I have waisted not only 5 hours of my time but all of yours as well I have however learned that I might be headed up there to take a couple of bears out of the area to better the moose population... Thanks for all the info.

Sounds like you've got your answer but I thought I'd mention in three separate trips up there I've never seen any sheep or bears. I keep hearing there are bears up there too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You'll have a long walk to get into sheep from there.
    The place looks like it should be over-run with sheep but never saw even one.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

jerryl; Well FWIW,,,,, if you do alittle study in History of the "Area" you'd find that back-in-the-day, there was a decent Sheep population back in there, but then came Gold-Prospectors and then the "Big-Mining Co's" of the day, and all that easy and "Good" Table fare was gone, and just over the hill from that area to the N & East, you have the "Black-Rapids" glacier Area, and all you have to do, is read the "Book" the "Alaskan-Wolf-Man" Frank Glaser hunted sheep in that area for the Alaska Road Commission, and his Black-Rapids Roadhouse, on the soon to be [Richardson Hiway] so,,,, add all that up, and the resource has never been able to replenish its self, not in any "Quantity" that is, I've been into the Head-Waters of the Wood-River which is to the West of where we are discussing now, and there are some small bands of Sheep starting to show back-up again, I know of what I'm telling you, as my Grandfather was in the Valdez Creek Area, Circa... early 1919.

"TG"
    [ Retired and Living the "Dream" in Alaska, Semper-Fi ]

Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    jerryl; Well FWIW,,,,, if you do alittle study in History of the "Area" you'd find that back-in-the-day, there was a decent Sheep population back in there, but then came Gold-Prospectors and then the "Big-Mining Co's" of the day, and all that easy and "Good" Table fare was gone, and just over the hill from that area to the N & East, you have the "Black-Rapids" glacier Area, and all you have to do, is read the "Book" the "Alaskan-Wolf-Man" Frank Glaser hunted sheep in that area for the Alaska Road Commission, and his Black-Rapids Roadhouse, on the soon to be [Richardson Hiway] so,,,, add all that up, and the resource has never been able to replenish its self, not in any "Quantity" that is, I've been into the Head-Waters of the Wood-River which is to the West of where we are discussing now, and there are some small bands of Sheep starting to show back-up again, I know of what I'm telling you, as my Grandfather was in the Valdez Creek Area, Circa... early 1919.

"TG"
    Dont forget to mention Sam O White. He and many other Fairbanks residents did thier winter meat shopping in the headwaters of the wood as well. Jim Rearden also wrote that book. What a great story, but not nearly as fun to read as the wolf man.

Release Lake Trout

You have to go further north and west into the glaciated country.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Thanks for the info guys I have read the wolf man and remember reading what i remember macclaren area and black rapids I just got done reading slim moore by Jim rearden the Sam O white book is my next book. I will keep at my research and hopefully find a walk in area for some table meat. I'll be working in healy agen this summer hoping to stay some what close to there. Who knows maybe I will get lucky and draw a DCUA!!