Thread: Scrit Issues Locking Up The Site on Multiple Browsers

Default Scrit Issues Locking Up The Site on Multiple Browsers

Hey guys, admins, moderators, whoever might have advice. I've started having usability issues with the forum site. Anytime I open a new page (e.g. I first open the main forums page, or I open a subforums page) The site freezes completly for about 30 seconds, and then I get a dialog box that says:

"A script on this page may be busy, or it may have stopped responding. You can stop the script now, open the script in the debugger, or let the script continue.

Script: http://prosperent.com/js/prosperent.js:11"

Then I click on stop the script, and that page works fine. Open up a new page, repeat. Additionally, the site will freeze for 2-3 seconds every 20-30 seconds while typing a post.

It does this in both Firefox and Safari. (Latest versions.) It does not appear to be happening in Chrome, but it's a really old version of Chrome. I ran a virus scan, but nothing found.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for the note on this; we will send it on to our I.T. folks.

Is anyone else out there seeing this issue?

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    Nope.
    Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    Any thoughts?
    Not specifically, but I have Firefox set to clear it's cache daily upon shutting down, and generally speaking that seems to help prevent a lot of issues.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    None of these issues for me...

I agree with emptying the cache, and I also remove the cookies.
    "Grin and Bear It"

I had this happening on my work computer one day and it freaked me out, since I use a lot of databases for our website. However, I wasn't having the problem on my laptop with our websites. So I went to google and did a search on script errors. I forget all the steps that I took for getting rid of the script errors, but I have not seen them since that day. I used this site to help fix my problem: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308260/en-US

It's not a problem with our site, it's something in your computer. Good luck.

What do you use for your virus protector and do you have a malware software installed on your computer? One can never be to careful when it comes to computers. Make sure you have good virus protection. Some are better than others.

Download a program called CCleaner and run the cleaning portion, it will sort out all kinds of errors. if you use chrome it gets buggered up and you can delete your user profile and start over.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Yeah I think you guys might be right. I no longer think it's isolated to this site. For quite a while, this was the ONLY site on which I was having that issue. Just in the last 24 hrs, I've started seeing it everywhere. So much for the whole "Macs don't get viruses" myth. Although, This is my 13th year using Mac OSX, my 6th year on this particular computer, and my first ever experience with a virus. Plus, I'musing an OS that hasn't been supported in 4 years, so, I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Well, if that's all it is, I know how to deal with that.

As far as I know there are still no viruses known to infect macs. They're not immune to trojan malware however. That said, it doesn't sound to me like malware or virus, it sounds more like something in your system is out of date and not playing well with the internet.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    As far as I know there are still no viruses known to infect macs. They're not immune to trojan malware however. That said, it doesn't sound to me like malware or virus, it sounds more like something in your system is out of date and not playing well with the internet.
    Possibly. Out of date being the operative term. I'm on 10.6.8, current is 10.10. My OS is pretty old, and there have ben 2 or 3 majore OS releases since my last update. I'm actually at the very end of where I can still "update" my OS rather than buying a whole new OS. As we speak, I'm downloading the update, but it's 5.2 GB, and has been downloading the past 8 hours.

My plan is to update the OS and see if that wipes out the malware (all Apple OS, and I assume Microsoft as well, come with a rudimentary virus/malware protection), then that settles it. If it doesn't, my OS will be current enough to use McAffee or Norton, and I will go that route. (Currently, my OS is so old that those two antivirus won't even work.)

Then again, this might be the excuse I need to buy a new MacBook Air lol.
    not.

Dude, you could have a DELL! Just harassing you. Just ask Michael Strahan, owner of the website and my boss. I always harass him with his MAC.

Possibly. Out of date being the operative term. I'm on 10.6.8, current is 10.10. My OS is pretty old, and there have ben 2 or 3 majore OS releases since my last update. I'm actually at the very end of where I can still "update" my OS rather than buying a whole new OS. As we speak, I'm downloading the update, but it's 5.2 GB, and has been downloading the past 8 hours.

My plan is to update the OS and see if that wipes out the malware (all Apple OS, and I assume Microsoft as well, come with a rudimentary virus/malware protection), then that settles it. If it doesn't, my OS will be current enough to use McAffee or Norton, and I will go that route. (Currently, my OS is so old that those two antivirus won't even work.)

Then again, this might be the excuse I need to buy a new MacBook Air lol.
    not.

Quote Originally Posted by Icebear View Post
    Dude, you could have a DELL! Just harassing you. Just ask Michael Strahan, owner of the website and my boss. I always harass him with his MAC.
    That street goes BOTH ways =)

My gf is an IT pro for a big corporation. Until recently, they used Dells. Their plan was if they got 2 years form a laptop or 3 from a desktop, they did good. My eMac (all in one desktop, last of the CRT type displays) died shortly after we met and she was shocked to learn I had been using it for seven years. This Macbook is 6 yrs old. That's why I like them. Well that and they are simple. No "going under the hood" no programming no configuring. Turn it on and go. Years ago, a the old Fly By Night in Anchorage, Mr. Whitekeys cracked a joke about "so simple a Mac user could do it.....yup...pretty much.

I own a Dell laptop and it's 5 years old. I keep my software all updated on it and have never had a problem with it. My PC is also a Dell and is now 4 years old and never a problem. I think the problem with most users either PC or MAC is the user themselves. Just like a car, if you want it to be in tip top condition, you pull regular maintenance on it, change the oil often and take care of it like a baby. Same goes with computers. You have to take care of them, keep them upgraded. One of the bad things these days is all the garbage that people will download from the Internet. There are spybots, malware, Trojans, you name it, it's all out there. When one thinks they are downloading something they really want, they don't realize most of these people are putting all this added junk in the download and it takes over a registry a little at a time until it just completely bogs down your computer. OK, I am off of my soap box for now. I personally think it's up to each user what they prefer to use, A PC or a MAC. Doesn't really matter to me as long as it gets the job done. Hope you get your computer cleaned up. Did you go online to see if you could find any tips for script issues with MAC's? I would start there.

I have an old Dell D600 (the "6 pounder") with XP SP2 on it. I used to use it as the scan tool for my VW Jetta (pc-only software), and now I use it for a few ham radio applications (also pc-only software.

I've just finished the upgrade to the latest/greatest Mac OS. The problem is still there. Next up is McAffee. After that, I'm going to use the Winchester Computer Final Solution tool LOL.

Okay, so...fully updated the OS. Installed & ran McAffee Antivrus. Problem is still there. Guess I'll be formatting the hard drive this weekend. Ive never had to do that on a Mac before. (done it to a LOT of Windows computers.)

Good luck. You could wait until Sunday during Super Bowl, it will all take time to add your programs and software back in once you reformat, so you may as well do a couple of things while working on the dreaded computer problem. Happy Super Bowl and COMPUTER FIX.

Okay, so...fully updated the OS. Installed & ran McAffee Antivrus. Problem is still there. Guess I'll be formatting the hard drive this weekend. Ive never had to do that on a Mac before. (done it to a LOT of Windows computers.)

Have you updated your video drivers? They will cause all kinds of problems if you are not using the latest versions. I recently had to upgrade mine because I was getting Windows 8.1's version of BSD reboots. I had to go to the manufactures website to find them.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

It would appear that I have found a solution short of nuking the hard drive.

After the virus scan, I did a hard reset of all of my browsers and restored to default settings, then restarted each browser, and my problems seems to have disappeared. For now.

What a PITN.

Good for you. Fixing your computer problem. Hopefully you have everything straightened out and cleaned up. Enjoy your weekend