Thread: What varieties of tomato will you grow this year? And why?

Default What varieties of tomato will you grow this year? And why?

This year I have seeds for a brandywine (because I love the taste, of course), a little sun yellow cherry (I love the taste of the sun gold but the oversized sprawling plants take up a lot of room and these are a dwarf that is rumored to taste wonderful), an early girl (early, cold tolerant, reliable, good taste), a stupice(because every summer can't be as good as the last two and this will set decent tasting fruit in miserable weather) and a rainbow heirloom mix from Ed Hume which is marketed as a colorful and early mix of heirloom tomatoes. The packet lists about 16 different varieties that could be included and I am questioning my sanity as far as this one goes. The big fear that I have about this is space. I don't have enough. Also, what do I do if I grow a variety that I love and can't identify....oh well. What's on your list this year?

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon3464 View Post
    This year I have seeds for a brandywine (because I love the taste, of course), a little sun yellow cherry (I love the taste of the sun gold but the oversized sprawling plants take up a lot of room and these are a dwarf that is rumored to taste wonderful), an early girl (early, cold tolerant, reliable, good taste), a stupice(because every summer can't be as good as the last two and this will set decent tasting fruit in miserable weather) and a rainbow heirloom mix from Ed Hume which is marketed as a colorful and early mix of heirloom tomatoes. The packet lists about 16 different varieties that could be included and I am questioning my sanity as far as this one goes. The big fear that I have about this is space. I don't have enough. Also, what do I do if I grow a variety that I love and can't identify....oh well. What's on your list this year?
    My selection is going to be pretty close to yours. Always a couple Stupice because they always seem to produce for us in spite of the weather.
    I've got some seeds for a couple Early Girls, (not the bush type). I've got a couple seeds for a Brandy boy, and Sun Gold Cherry. I've got 3 seeds left from my favorite Brandywine OTV. and of course a 4th of July. a couple Black Krim. They take longer, but the flavor is worth the wait. I'll probably try one of Burpee's new hybrids

​I am trying Pinks, Hillbilly, Porterhouse. For their size and sweat flavor.

Default Tomaters

Here is a few I have sprouted for this year. Google them, and you can probably read why.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mark I don't think you have enough!

I know, I should be ashamed to post such a paltry selection. lol However, I have more up now, so redemption is in the works.

Definitely not enough. And why did you get them started so late in the season?

What do you use for lighting?

NRick, these will go in the greenhouse the first week of March, they produce from early May until the end of October, this makes for a nice long season.
    Dragon, the last time I calculated lumen output and cost, the HPS is the best deal. For a small operation buy a small one. If you grow peppers use a bulb that has a red light spectrum, the one in the photo is blue, but will be changed quickly.

Don't start these varieties at the beginning of May and expect tomatoes, they are worth every dime to start early if you are sick of ho hum tomatoes though.

I usually start my tomatoes and peppers around mid march...and by mid may the tomatoes have taken over every inch of available space and light.

For several years I always started my Tomatoes and peppers on the 1st week of March. Last year with the "late" spring, I had tomato plants too big for the little starter pots I had them in.. but I didn't have enough room to transplant into anything bigger.. A year ago, I grew a Brandywine cutting in a south window. On the 1st of March I gave it a shot of Miracle Grow and by mid May we were eating big juicy brandywine toms.. Right now I'm wishing I'd have nursed another cutting through this winter..

John, if your BW OTV seeds don't sprout, see me ASAP for some of the original seed.

Quote Originally Posted by mark oathout View Post
    John, if your BW OTV seeds don't sprout, see me ASAP for some of the original seed.
    Ok Mark, I surely will. I have maybe 5 or 6 seeds left from the original one you gave me. I'll give them a try in a couple weeks.