Thread: Deadline is tomorrow

Default Deadline is tomorrow

Reminder to Submit Comments to the North Pacific Fishery Mgmt Council

To submit comments for consideration by the North Pacific Fishery Management Council, send written comments by Tuesday, Jan. 27, 2015 to npfmc.comments@noaa.gov.

The comments must identify the submitter by legal name, affiliation, and date, and must also identify the specific agenda item by number. For Bering Sea halibut bycatch comments, submit with the agenda item number: "Re: Agenda item C-5 Bering Sea Halibut PSC"

http://homertribune.com/2015/01/majo...libut-fishery/

If status quo continues, 92% of the halibut catch in the Bering Sea will be allocated as bycatch.

Quote Originally Posted by offshore View Post
    Reminder to Submit Comments to the North Pacific Fishery Mgmt Council

To submit comments for consideration by the North Pacific Fishery Management Council, send written comments by Tuesday, Jan. 27, 2015 to npfmc.comments@noaa.gov.

The comments must identify the submitter by legal name, affiliation, and date, and must also identify the specific agenda item by number. For Bering Sea halibut bycatch comments, submit with the agenda item number: "Re: Agenda item C-5 Bering Sea Halibut PSC"

http://homertribune.com/2015/01/majo...libut-fishery/

If status quo continues, 92% of the halibut catch in the Bering Sea will be allocated as bycatch.

This is very simple. Just copy the email address above and write a letter just like the one below:

Re: Agenda item C-5 Bering Sea Halibut PSC"

To whom it may concern:

I am (name, address,) i am an avid a recreational halibut fishermen. I have experienced reduced bag limits on charters.
    Bottom line is that all for-profit harvesters should share in the burden of conservation proportionally. As an Alaskan, I am very concerned about the heath of the halibut resource and I am depending on the North Pacific Fishery Management Council to base your upcoming decision regarding Bering Sea By-Catch of halibut to National Standards #8 and #9.

First protect rural communities in the Bering Sea:

National Standard 8 – Communities
    Conservation and management measures shall, consistent with the conservation requirements of this Act (including the prevention of overfishing and rebuilding of overfished stocks), take into account the importance of fishery resources to fishing communities by utilizing economic and social data that meet the requirement of paragraph (2) [i.e., National Standard 2], in order to (a) provide for the sustained participation of such communities, and (b) to the extent practicable, minimize adverse economic impacts on such communities.

Second Reduce By catch:
    National Standard 9 – Bycatch
    Conservation and management measures shall, to the extent practicable, (a) minimize bycatch and (b) to the extent bycatch cannot be avoided, minimize the mortality of such by catch.

This are your standards and you need to reduce by catch in the Bering Sea as soon as possible and in a manner consistent with the level that other directed fisheries have taken reductions.

Signed

That is all you have to do and it makes a huge difference to see a half dozen letters from you guys about this issue. This matters because halibut from the Bering Sea migrate into our area as they get larger. We have to protect the babes in the Bering to make sure we get keepers in 2C and 3A.

Offshore and AKCAPT,

Thanks for the heads up. I used the form letter and sent in a comment. I corrected a couple of spelling errors and added a personal touch at the end.

Here is the version I sent in:

To whom it may concern:

I , *********, am an avid a recreational halibut fishermen. I have experienced
    reduced bag limits on charters.

Bottom line is that all for-profit harvesters should share in the
    burden of conservation proportionally. As an Alaskan, I am very concerned about
    the heath of the halibut resource and I am depending on the North Pacific
    Fishery Management Council to base your upcoming decision regarding Bering Sea
    By-Catch of halibut to National Standards #8 and #9.

First protect rural
    communities in the Bering Sea:

National Standard 8 –
    Communities
    Conservation and management measures shall, consistent with the
    conservation requirements of this Act (including the prevention of overfishing
    and rebuilding of overfished stocks), take into account the importance of
    fishery resources to fishing communities by utilizing economic and social data
    that meet the requirement of paragraph (2) [i.e., National Standard 2], in order
    to (a) provide for the sustained participation of such communities, and (b) to
    the extent practicable, minimize adverse economic impacts on such
    communities.

Second Reduce By catch:
    National Standard 9 – By
    catch
    Conservation and management measures shall, to the extent practicable,
    (a) minimize by catch and (b) to the extent by catch cannot be avoided, minimize
    the mortality of such by catch.

These are your standards and you need to
    reduce by catch in the Bering Sea as soon as possible and in a manner consistent
    with the level that other directed fisheries have taken reductions.

As a 41 year resident of Alaska, where I have raised my family, two
    sons, and enjoyed harvesting halibut with them as they have grown up, I hope my
    sons have the same opportunity to harvest halibut when they have families of
    their own. The resource needs to be managed for longevity of the resource
    instead of immediate monetary benefits for the trawl fleet.

Sincerely,

Here is the reply I got back from my email:

Thank you for your comment, if this comment was received after January 27,
    2015 - 5:00pm, it is considered a late comment and will not be posted/copied
    for February meeting.

I am not sure what time zone the 5:00 PM applies to though.

Doug

You are good for another hour and a half!! lets get a few more in there. I have heard back from a bunch of you. Thanks for doing this.

AM

Sent, I think I made the deadline with the time zone.

Sent!

- Gambler

Sent but also got the late reply notice!
    Kodiak Island Adventures
    907-539-6474
    Shearwater 38' Allen Marine Catamaran
    Lana J 40' USCG inspected

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Roe View Post
    Sent but also got the late reply notice!
    That notice just says "if" its late it will not make it in the Council Packet. If you sent it on time, it will be in there. Thanks for doing this.

International Pacific Halibut Commission is sending a letter to the Council, asking for a 50% reduction in By Catch as well. The Trawlers are at that meeting, with their lawyers….Ready to fight this. Should make for an interesting week in Seattle at the Council meeting. I will happily convey the sportfishing position that we all want to see meaningful reductions.

Again thanks for this.

Thank you Andy, I miss read what it said
    Kodiak Island Adventures
    907-539-6474
    Shearwater 38' Allen Marine Catamaran
    Lana J 40' USCG inspected

I sent in a comment as the owner of this site. That probably puts me lower on the priority list, but hopefully the testimony of others will help! Thanks, Andy!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Wrote comments for the Higher ups in our organization to sign and submit. A few folks in Vancouver pushing this agenda as well. Though slightly different than sportfishers take on things, the message was the same. Lower bycch rates and mortality.