Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Advice needed for rod/reel/auger for newbies

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Seward
    Posts
    24

    Default Advice needed for rod/reel/auger for newbies

    Hey all. Been enjoying learning from the forum lurking. We live in Seward, and are looking to expand our ever-growing fishing hobby (salt, fly, etc.) to include ice fishing. Probably mostly road based, wherever really.

    3 main questions:

    1. What kind of auger is recommended? And size (8", 10", etc)? I am not interested in doing it by hand really. Been looking at the cordless drill conversions. How do they work in the cold here? Or go all-out and get a nice gas-powerered?

    2. What's a good setup for rod/reels? Looking for trout, pike, char, etc. Obviously a big pike might be a different rig than some little rainbows, but ideally, at the start, I'd like something that is "good enough" for the gamut until I can figure out more.

    3. As far as bait/lures, I am at no loss of those from our other fishing. A friend uses Vibrax type lures and likes them. I have a ton of those. Any specific lures I "must" buy before starting? Also heard shrimp, herring, Powerbait, etc.

    Anything else I'm forgetting?

    Thanks again,

  2. #2
    Member JediMasterSalmonSlayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    North Pole, Alaska
    Posts
    1,837

    Default

    I dont know everything - and I certainly have bias in certain gear i recommend because it works for me. You will get different opinions on things here onthe forum I am sure.

    1 - The new conversion kits work well in Alaska and so does very type of power ice auger on the market. I have used every brand availble and currently own three different power augers. They all cut holes in the ice - I recommend a 10 inch unit with lazer type blades -a single blade chipper unit is good for drilling out old holes (that refreeze like in a hard sided hut) and if you try and do that with double precision setup the blades will only dull faster. Each brand I have found has advantages / disadvatages. I like a lighter weight / model not only for using to drill with, but to carry in a sled if I pull it manually. I am using an Edge auger by Clam this year and very pleased with its perfomance. Pay attention to the new EPA self venting caps on the newer power augers, not all of them workwell. I got Eskimo Z51 last year and could not keep it running without having the cap loose. spilled more fuel when I used it then if it had a manual venting cap (which I wasableto eventually get from the company for free after a second attempt and complaint.) If you want a workout for your biceps get a jiffy.

    2 - a medium soft action fred meyer special will work just fine - more sophisticated set ups depending on your budget. My lake trout rods run about 50 bucks / my rainbow rigs about 30 bucks / I also have plenty of loaner rods for people that fish with me and dont have their own. You dont need to break the bank for sure.

    3 - simple small white plastic jigs (similar to crappie jigs) will catch just about everything. Find what fish are eating in the lake and match it for size. locations that allow bait are great for deadsticking.

    4- I would say my best purchase was a portable shelter and heat source. Again lots of choices. go kick some tires before you purchase. Dont forget about used items also for sale if your budget is a concern - My buddy bought a strikemaster laser auger for 100 bucks that was like new.

    good luck - have fun
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com


  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Seward
    Posts
    24

    Default

    Hey Jedi (btw, we love Star Wars), thanks for the responses. Can you give a link or a name of some of the rods/reels you are using so I get a ballpark of what it is? Also, the jigs? Never fished for crappies so not sure (mostly I am a saltwater fisherman). Thanks again!

    Quote Originally Posted by JediMasterSalmonSlayer View Post
    I dont know everything - and I certainly have bias in certain gear i recommend because it works for me. You will get different opinions on things here onthe forum I am sure.

    1 - The new conversion kits work well in Alaska and so does very type of power ice auger on the market. I have used every brand availble and currently own three different power augers. They all cut holes in the ice - I recommend a 10 inch unit with lazer type blades -a single blade chipper unit is good for drilling out old holes (that refreeze like in a hard sided hut) and if you try and do that with double precision setup the blades will only dull faster. Each brand I have found has advantages / disadvatages. I like a lighter weight / model not only for using to drill with, but to carry in a sled if I pull it manually. I am using an Edge auger by Clam this year and very pleased with its perfomance. Pay attention to the new EPA self venting caps on the newer power augers, not all of them workwell. I got Eskimo Z51 last year and could not keep it running without having the cap loose. spilled more fuel when I used it then if it had a manual venting cap (which I wasableto eventually get from the company for free after a second attempt and complaint.) If you want a workout for your biceps get a jiffy.

    2 - a medium soft action fred meyer special will work just fine - more sophisticated set ups depending on your budget. My lake trout rods run about 50 bucks / my rainbow rigs about 30 bucks / I also have plenty of loaner rods for people that fish with me and dont have their own. You dont need to break the bank for sure.

    3 - simple small white plastic jigs (similar to crappie jigs) will catch just about everything. Find what fish are eating in the lake and match it for size. locations that allow bait are great for deadsticking.

    4- I would say my best purchase was a portable shelter and heat source. Again lots of choices. go kick some tires before you purchase. Dont forget about used items also for sale if your budget is a concern - My buddy bought a strikemaster laser auger for 100 bucks that was like new.

    good luck - have fun

  4. #4
    Member JediMasterSalmonSlayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    North Pole, Alaska
    Posts
    1,837

    Default

    All the links for gear I use can be found on the website www.alaskansalmonslayers.com under the "links" tab

    This rod is a generic medium action unit that was sold as a combo at fred Meyers (the reel actually has led lighting that is activated when you crank on the reel) I bought is for under 20 bucks and have caught many fish on it. (Plus the cool light effects when I get to reel on the handle)



    Try a google search for "berkley powerbait tubes" or "minnows" for examples of jigging small plastics

    spoons, and rattlers also work...I wasactually dead sticking bait in the above photo. Nitro floating eggs and store bought large shrimp combo (no longer make Nitro brand - I think berkley makes a power eggs now)
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com


  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,763

    Default

    here is the problem ,if it is powre a big hole one is the best 8" / 10 " if you drill by hand you want to stop at 6" , after you do a few you will see why.
    rod just about any will do, a crank reel for all fish oner 10 " the real flimsy rods will work fo small fish, as the fish get bigger so will the rods ,
    you don't need a long rod , tip ups are great for PIKE, an large fish , for smaller fish , use a rod , bait works but spoons jigs will get larger fish, not as many but larger , ..start small an increas as you get your feet wet, who know's you might not like freezing your feet out there,
    SID

  6. #6
    Premium Member kasilofchrisn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Central Kenai Peninsula
    Posts
    4,887

    Default

    Welcome to the Forum Reklobe.
    Where are you located at?
    I own 3 power augers and a few hand augers. I like my Jiffies as well as my Eskimo.I think my Eskimo went 10 years before my first issue with it.
    I like the older augers with less plastic parts.
    For most fishing an 8" hole is plenty.
    If your near fairbanks where it gets much colder for longer periods a 10" is nice as it freezes to an unusable state slower. Or if you ar routinely fishing the bigger lakers and pike.
    Be aware with kids a 10" is much easier for them to step into.
    I would look at what is available for parts and service locally. I would hate to need new blades or some other auger part that wasn't stocked and having to wait for stuff like that sucks. So buy what your local store sells and has basic parts for like blades and blade covers etc.
    I like the gas augers VS electric as I occasionally like to do a more remote trip and I haven't yet found a plug in at these remote places.
    If you will only fish lakes you can drive to then the electrics will work fine so long as you keep the battery warm and don't need to drill a lot of holes.
    You might look at the ugly sticks for rods they are decent for quality and price.
    My favorite bait is RAW uncooked shrimp. I do not use the cocktail variety!
    I cut them up at home into small pieces and each piece of bait cost me between 1 and 2 cents each.
    For Rainbows and landlocked salmon look at the jigs from Custom jigs and spins. They work awsome. Are high quality and american made in Iowa.
    I'm not sponsored by anybody so my answers are just what my personal opinion is.
    I make my own jigs and if you are in the Kenai area I'll give you some for free if you stop by my workshop. I have a bunch already made up and they work great.
    Pm me for details if your interested.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

    "Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Seward
    Posts
    24

    Default

    Thanks all for your help. Will go check the stores and see what I can find (I live in Seward so need to go to ANC or Soldotna).

  8. #8
    Member kwackkillncrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    chugiak, ak
    Posts
    1,035

    Default

    Tube jigs. Get some 1 inchers 3 inchers and 5 inchers. Catch you anything you want. Whites, rainbow trout colors and glows


    Sent while partying

    Alaska swamp man pro staff
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Seward
    Posts
    24

    Default

    Awesome, thanks again.

    More questions:

    1. What lb test is used in differing situations (rainbow, lake, pike, char, etc.)?

    2. Any advice on tip ups/rod holders? Probably won't be running multiples at the start but seems like it would be nice to let it sit there for a while.

  10. #10
    Member JediMasterSalmonSlayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    North Pole, Alaska
    Posts
    1,837

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    Welcome to the Forum Reklobe.

    I'm not sponsored by anybody so my answers are just what my personal opinion is.
    As if it matters? Whether you are sponsored or not you still have personal bias from your personal experience. What I have seen from your previous posting and sharing that you are a well- seasoned knowledgeable ice fisherman in Alaska. Lots of great stuff you provided in your post, i am sure you would only try and be positive in helping others.

    Not sure what relevance your statement has, or what you're trying to say exactly?
    Are you suggesting that someone who is professionally associated or partnered with a fishing gear/apparell company somehow has a secret agenda and your opinion is somehow elevated because you're not sponsored?

    I am sure you meant nothing negative by your statement, but just to clarify:

    I am sponsored by some fishing companies...so my answers are just what my personal opinion is also.

    Just for clarity: I am not a prostitute or a sellout; I actually use everything I recommend to others. That was the premise of partnering with reliable and trustworthy companies of who's gear and apparel I already had been using. I am above all a sport fisherman first and have never been exclusive. I want what works the best, so I can catch more fish.
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com


  11. #11
    Member JediMasterSalmonSlayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    North Pole, Alaska
    Posts
    1,837

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reklobe View Post
    Awesome, thanks again.

    More questions:

    1. What lb test is used in differing situations (rainbow, lake, pike, char, etc.)?

    2. Any advice on tip ups/rod holders? Probably won't be running multiples at the start but seems like it would be nice to let it sit there for a while.
    I use 8-10lb test mono line with great results on fish 5lb and smaller (I think a 10lb line is perfect)

    I use 15-20lb test braid lines for deep water fish over 5 lbs and larger (I use a 2 foot long leader of fluorocarbon attached by a barrel swivel)

    I use one of these to dead stick with:

    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com


  12. #12

    Default

    So whats a guy have to do to be spondsored?

  13. #13
    Member kwackkillncrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    chugiak, ak
    Posts
    1,035

    Default

    be willing to try to persuade people to buy certain gear for almost nothing in return from those companies. You might get some discounts and what not. basically big name companies give people pennies to be able to get basically free advertisement in hope that the individual will be able to post pictures full of their gear in the background which will then persuade the weak minded that you need that type of gear to catch fish.
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

  14. #14
    Premium Member kasilofchrisn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Central Kenai Peninsula
    Posts
    4,887

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JediMasterSalmonSlayer View Post
    As if it matters? Whether you are sponsored or not you still have personal bias from your personal experience. What I have seen from your previous posting and sharing that you are a well- seasoned knowledgeable ice fisherman in Alaska. Lots of great stuff you provided in your post, i am sure you would only try and be positive in helping others.

    Not sure what relevance your statement has, or what you're trying to say exactly?
    Are you suggesting that someone who is professionally associated or partnered with a fishing gear/apparell company somehow has a secret agenda and your opinion is somehow elevated because you're not sponsored?

    I am sure you meant nothing negative by your statement, but just to clarify:

    I am sponsored by some fishing companies...so my answers are just what my personal opinion is also.

    Just for clarity: I am not a prostitute or a sellout; I actually use everything I recommend to others. That was the premise of partnering with reliable and trustworthy companies of who's gear and apparel I already had been using. I am above all a sport fisherman first and have never been exclusive. I want what works the best, so I can catch more fish.
    Not trying to hijack. But people who are sponsored are usually heavily promote the gear brands that sponsor them.
    I'm just your everyday Joe fisherman. The gear I use is not something I received any compensation to support.
    My personal bias is all based on trial and error of various products over 30+ years of icefishing in MN and AK.
    Often times Sponsored fishermen will only recommend the gear of their sponsors yet do not tell people they are sponsored.
    I see it on a few forums I am on.
    So I wanted to let the OP know that I am not one of those people.
    I'm sorry if you thought I was referring specifically to you.
    Sorry if I ruffled your feathers.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

    "Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

  15. #15
    Member JediMasterSalmonSlayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    North Pole, Alaska
    Posts
    1,837

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kwackkillncrew View Post
    be willing to try to persuade people to buy certain gear for almost nothing in return from those companies. You might get some discounts and what not. basically big name companies give people pennies to be able to get basically free advertisement in hope that the individual will be able to post pictures full of their gear in the background which will then persuade the weak minded that you need that type of gear to catch fish.
    LOL - spoken like someone from a "highly intoxicated guiIde service" I want to send you a bumper sticker now.

    I already let the secret out on what the best fishing gear is...all you need is a stick n string... the video has already been made.
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com


  16. #16
    Member kwackkillncrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    chugiak, ak
    Posts
    1,035

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JediMasterSalmonSlayer View Post
    LOL - spoken like someone from a "highly intoxicated guiIde service" I want to send you a bumper sticker now.

    I already let the secret out on what the best fishing gear is...all you need is a stick n string... the video has already been made.
    Done it... And what was wrong with what I said a pro staffer is. That's what they are and that's what they do. Done with the hijack now


    Sent while partying

    Alaska swamp man pro staff
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

  17. #17

    Default

    Got what a pro staffer does....but how does guy go about getting a pro staffer gig?

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Seward
    Posts
    24

    Default

    Thanks all for your help. Made a run from Seward to Soldotna to Sportsman's yesterday and picked up the stuff. Now, hope to get out this weekend!

    Not asking for any "secret" spot or anything, but are there are road-accessible lakes with good success lately anyone could share? Not looking for anything giant (although that would rock)...just want to have a rewarding first couple "shake down" times out on the ice. Don't mind driving anywhere between Seward and Soldotna or up towards Summit either. Thanks

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Two Rivers, AK
    Posts
    745

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reklobe View Post
    Not asking for any "secret" spot or anything, but are there are road-accessible lakes with good success lately anyone could share? Not looking for anything giant (although that would rock)...just want to have a rewarding first couple "shake down" times out on the ice. Don't mind driving anywhere between Seward and Soldotna or up towards Summit either. Thanks
    It's sometimes helpful to take a look at ADF&G's lakes database (http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm....lakesdatabase - don't forget to check lakes that aren't stocked) or go straight to the agency's stocking records (http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...iesSearch.main).
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

  20. #20
    Premium Member kasilofchrisn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Central Kenai Peninsula
    Posts
    4,887

    Default

    Reklobe Call me later tonight. I emailed you my number.
    I am going out with the family Tomorrow in the Soldotna area. Not sure where yet.
    Once I talk to my wife I'll know more.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

    "Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •