Thread: Getting started

Default Getting started

I'm interested in hunting small game here in AK. I have no hunting experience so almost every element of this is new to me. I live in Eagle River and I don't mind driving an hour or two to find a good spot. I do own a ruger 10/22 but no shotgun yet. I'm interested in local areas where I might find ptarmigan, grouse or hare and any good info you can give me for getting started. Of course I'll start getting familiar with regs here and do everything I can to stay legal but any advice from you veterans is definitely welcome. Thanks in advance!

TDent1,

Since you say you have no hunting experience my first bit of free advice is to take the Hunter Education seminar offered through ADF&G. There, you might also meet up with someone to hunt with. In the meantime I would read as much as you can during this middle of winter. You'll find hare hard to find now because they seem to be down in their cycle. Lots of competition for your grouse down that way, but ptarmigan can be found in the high treeless country throughout the winter. But check your regs for open areas and seasons in your area. Check out ADF&Gs Wildlife Notebook series online. Check in here often and ask questions. You might also buy a copy of my book Upland Hunting in Alaska from this very site!

You are about to embark on a fine and joyful journey. I love bird hunting.

Jim,
    I appreciate the response. I took a hunter's safety course years ago but I could use a refresher. I think I'll be getting a copy of that book here in a couple days. Thanks again!

TDent1,

You're welcome, and the pleasure was mine. I've been at this bird hunting thing most of my long life and I'm glad to point a person in the right direction. A lot of folks on here that are quick to offer help.

Jim

Palmer hay flat, rabbit numbers are on the rise, might want to try there.

Quote Originally Posted by TDent1 View Post
    I'm interested in hunting small game here in AK. I have no hunting experience so almost every element of this is new to me. I live in Eagle River and I don't mind driving an hour or two to find a good spot. I do own a ruger 10/22 but no shotgun yet. I'm interested in local areas where I might find ptarmigan, grouse or hare and any good info you can give me for getting started. Of course I'll start getting familiar with regs here and do everything I can to stay legal but any advice from you veterans is definitely welcome. Thanks in advance!
    Unfortunately grouse and hare numbers are both down right now, following normal cyclic patterns. The positive, is as another poster mentioned both cycles should be on the upswing in the next year or two.

I don't know anything about small game hunting up your way but the very best thing you can do to increase success is get somewhere with low pressure, this usually means going farther, higher or into thicker brush than the competition.