Thread: What rifle is this?

Default What rifle is this?

Assuming I can get a photo attached can anyone identify this rifle? It's a .270 and belonged to my dad..270a.jpg.270.jpg

I suspect a custom stocked Mauser 98 in .270 WCF possibly the action is of Czech origin.

Yeah the safety looks to me to be a Mauser. I had one once in 300 Savage. If it cocks on closing (real hard to push the bolt forward) then it's a Mause 93. Cocks on opening is a Mauser 98.

I don't know about the Czech action part, but it might be a very good gun. Mausers have long been well regarded actions for custom builds.

The rifle from what I can see appears to be a Czec 98 mauser. The rifle appears to have a Bueler lo-swing safety and a set of either Burris or leupold rings and mounts. If it is indeed a military conversion there should be a U shaped notch opposite the bolt just in front of the back action bridge. This is a thumb notch for stripper clip loading. Most commercial actions don't have this notch. I have a Husky in 270 with a 98 military mauser action still retaining the German bird stamp on the receiver. These were made shortly after the war up through the 60's while there was a glut of war surplus actions. These actions were polished until they reflected the smoothness of a babies bottom and are comparable to nearly any off the rack rifle made today, even my Tikka-T3. Cock on closing was the normal on mausers before the 98, however there are cock on opening kits for the 93-96 model mausers and this isn't always a positive determination. I suspect a rifle with the degree of modification yours exhibits would have this kit added as well. The stock appears to be a very nice piece of wood.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

It's a 98 Mauser, you can tell by the front ring. No telling for sure from these two pix but I think its a well build military sporter . . . should be more info on the barrel about the sporter work and pulling the mount off so we can see the top of the front ring should get you its entire military history.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Thanks guys