Thread: Where to go?

Default Where to go?

We're starting to plan our second trip to Alaska from Tennessee. Here's our situation, maybe some of you all will share your thoughts:

Outdoorsy couple in our late fifties, avoiding the cruise ship/tourist trap direction... last time we went salmon and halibut fishing and did a river float out of Seward, stayed at a b&b, fished with an independent guide, had a huge time and have been wanting to come back ever since. My wife wants to see brown bears, I want to fish, preferably saltwater - open to suggestions on other activities although she has some health issues and can't handle anything too physical. Cost is a big issue, trying to keep that down. Location is open, been considering Ketchikan since my dad was in the Coast Guard there after WW2 and it would be interesting to see the lighthouse & other places in his pictures... date is flexible too. Thanks for your guidance on this...

If you want to see brown bears and do some amazing saltwater fishing, come to Sitka. There aren't many other places around southeast that can compare to fishing in Sitka, except maybe Elfin Cove or a couple other areas. Don't waste your time with Ketchikan. Plus you're guaranteed to see brown bears here at Fortress of the Bear. They aren't in the wild, but they are still bears.

http://www.fortressofthebear.org/

I would say the best time to come would be in June or early July; that gives you your best chance at catching some king salmon before the commercial fleet scoops them up. Halibut, lings, and rockfish are numerous year round, but the halibut will be more plentiful during the summer months.

Quote Originally Posted by Basset55 View Post
    We're starting to plan our second trip to Alaska from Tennessee. Here's our situation, maybe some of you all will share your thoughts:

Outdoorsy couple in our late fifties, avoiding the cruise ship/tourist trap direction... last time we went salmon and halibut fishing and did a river float out of Seward, stayed at a b&b, fished with an independent guide, had a huge time and have been wanting to come back ever since. My wife wants to see brown bears, I want to fish, preferably saltwater - open to suggestions on other activities although she has some health issues and can't handle anything too physical. Cost is a big issue, trying to keep that down. Location is open, been considering Ketchikan since my dad was in the Coast Guard there after WW2 and it would be interesting to see the lighthouse & other places in his pictures... date is flexible too. Thanks for your guidance on this...
    I suggest that you fly into Ketchikan, see the sights, then get on the ferry over to POW Island. It is a very nice ride, and cheap too. There are several B&Bs on the island that are very reasonable. The hotel is option too. There is great fishing out of Craig, and most days there will be someplace to fish that isn't rough. Lots of black bears around, but not browns.

Look into Wrangell. We have good salt water fishing and your wife can see all the bears she wants down at the Anan bear observatory.

Kodiak, runs are fairly close, maybe an hour maximum. You don't have to spend the money to go to the remote lodges but that's an option. Drive out towards Kaslin bay and watch the bears roam the American and Olds river. Depending on your timing, ATV trip to the Saltry to fish for Reds and bear watch as well.