Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New revolver flaws

Default New revolver flaws

I recently bought a new Ruger Alaskan. Later I looked at it and noticed a small dent by one of the cylinder
    slots. I don't know the correct wording for the specific cylinder parts. So it's a little hard to describe.
    It looks like the cylinder was machined a little too far while creating a ramp next to a cylinder slot which
    keeps it from revolving. I am guessing that the dent was created while creating one of the ramps. Gouging into the edge of the slot next to the ramp. I can feel an edge where the metal was pushed up slightly on the surface of the cylinder.

I have never seen this with any of my other revolvers. I was wondering if anyone else has seen anything
    like this before on a Ruger or any other brand revolvers?

My main concern is that the dent will affect the value in some way.

It's not a big issue. But I did pay a lot for the gun. So I would rather that it didn't have the flaw.

If it's a serious concern, send it back to Ruger. If not, shoot the heck out of it and be happy.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Picture?

I think I'd send it back because what you describe sounds like it is in the path of the cylinder lock pawl and may cause it to wear faster.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Default Send it back

Send it back to Ruger. If they can't fix it to your satisfaction they will take it back and give you your money back - at least they did on the last one bought new. Save your receipt!
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Yep, send it to Ruger. My experience with their customer service has been nothing short of stellar.

Call Ruger first and tell them the problem. They will send you a pre paid shiping box and take care of it.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I called Ruger and got an email address where I could send pictures. Now I am waiting for a response.

I bought the 44 mag so I could stay within a caliber I already have available.

I'm not sure how to post pictures to a thread. Maybe I can post one to my signature for a little while so you can
    see what it looks like.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowchaser View Post
    I'm not sure how to post pictures to a thread. Maybe I can post one to my signature for a little while so you can
    see what it looks like.
    Go to a service like "Photo Bucket" and post your pics there and then download from there to here....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I think I forgot to click something.

I'll have to look into Photo Buckets.

Someone went Hollywood on it, spun the cylinder then snapped it shut while spinning. Definitely send it back and get it fixed.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Oh and to post a pic here click on the little Polaroid of a tree looking button thing in the bar above where you type your post . . . no need to pit it in sig line.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Someone went Hollywood on it, spun the cylinder then snapped it shut while spinning. Definitely send it back and get it fixed.

The shop ordered the revolver for me and I picked it up the day they received it. While I was there I asked the
    salesman if he looked at it. He said he has to check all the guns. (But as far as I know he didn't notice the flaw.) I looked at the
    revolver quick at the store and then again a few hours later. That's when I noticed the dent. So I'm not sure
    who might have had the opportunity to touch it.

At first, I wondered if it could have been jammed against the little locking tab to create the dent. But the metal is so beefy and hard.
    I can't imagine how much pressure it would take to create such a dent.

Then I put the picture up on the screen and connected the ramps half shaped oval and the slightly rounded shape
    of the dent. I traced it on a paper and it create a perfect oval shape. That's why I thought
    it might have been created while they were forming the ramps which extend into the slots.

I purchased it to be used for protection while hiking. Trying to plan a trip to AK. I hope this can be resolved in a timely manner.

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    This, or something very similar is what happened. No doubt about it.

It's not a "flaw". It's damage from abuse.

You have two choices; live with it, or send it back to Ruger.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I would check a couple of other things as well. The pawl that fits into that slot as the cylinder locks up most likely caused that damage in the manner Andy described. I would look closely at the pawl and make sure that it's standing perfectly straight and hasn't been canted ever so slightly. Slamming a cylinder shut is also a good way to bend the crane. As robust as that particular gun is I doubt that that happened but as a precaution open the cylinder and spin the cylinder. It should spin 100% true with absolutely no wobble. If both of those are ok then I would tell the folk at Ruger that you bought the gun for protection on your hike and that you will send it back after the hike as that little ding doesn't look deep enough to affect the function of the gun.

It is possible that someone dropped the gun and it landed on it's side but at any rate it happened when the gun was out of the box.

When I help at tables at gun shows I make sure that everyone that picks up a revolver knows not to slam the cylinder shut whether it's spinning or not. We have a group of 4-8 gang bangers that show up at all of the gunshows and never buy anything but handle everything. Those types can make a new gun look old before the first bullet is fired. I made a sign and put it on the table a year ago that says"If you do not have a permit to acquire a firearm and there is something that legally prevents you from obtaining a permit to acquire a firearm then there is really no need for you touch any of the guns so don't ask". It might be a little rude but it's to the point and it works.

Buddy, somebody sometime somewhere mistreated your gun and I'm betting that it was after it left the factory!

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    I would check a couple of other things as well. The pawl that fits into that slot as the cylinder locks up most likely caused that damage in the manner Andy described. I would look closely at the pawl and make sure that it's standing perfectly straight and hasn't been canted ever so slightly. Slamming a cylinder shut is also a good way to bend the crane. As robust as that particular gun is I doubt that that happened but as a precaution open the cylinder and spin the cylinder. It should spin 100% true with absolutely no wobble. If both of those are ok then I would tell the folk at Ruger that you bought the gun for protection on your hike and that you will send it back after the hike as that little ding doesn't look deep enough to affect the function of the gun.

It is possible that someone dropped the gun and it landed on it's side but at any rate it happened when the gun was out of the box.

When I help at tables at gun shows I make sure that everyone that picks up a revolver knows not to slam the cylinder shut whether it's spinning or not. We have a group of 4-8 gang bangers that show up at all of the gunshows and never buy anything but handle everything. Those types can make a new gun look old before the first bullet is fired. I made a sign and put it on the table a year ago that says"If you do not have a permit to acquire a firearm and there is something that legally prevents you from obtaining a permit to acquire a firearm then there is really no need for you touch any of the guns so don't ask". It might be a little rude but it's to the point and it works.

Buddy, somebody sometime somewhere mistreated your gun and I'm betting that it was after it left the factory!
    Yes the dings in the cylinder are minor, it's for all the other stuff EKC mentioned that I say it needs a trip home. If that locking pawl, or its pin, or its notch in the frame, or the crane are damaged you can possibly have an unsafe out of time condition that shaves bullets at the cylinder gap. Ruger is usually about 5 or 6 weeks on repairs . . . surely you aren't going before April (the snow turns to mud in April) you have at least 12 weeks to get it back.

BTW the guy at the shop said "he has to check all the guns"
    This is true but not the way you are thinking, as an FFL he must read the number off the gun as he logs it into his book . . . he has to check the number on the gun is what he is saying not that he inspected the condition of the gun.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Just wanted to comment about how nice the Ruger customer service has been so far.
    It's nice to actually talk to customer service workers that reside in the USA. Instead of places like India.

That picture is so hard to understand it is useless. So is the description of where it is at.

Quote Originally Posted by bfrshooter View Post
    That picture is so hard to understand it is useless. So is the description of where it is at.
    The pic is one of the bolt notches on the cylinder. Notice the "chip" out of it.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Ruger will take care of you, give them a call.
    Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast