Thread: Best Stone glacier combo ?

Default Best Stone glacier combo ?

Just wondering if anyone has tried the solo pack with the approach strapped to it? I am in the market for a new sheep pack and hard to tell which way to go without being able to put my hands on them. I like the sky series but was thinking the versatility of the solo and approach together as quite an advantage. Any advice on stone glacier packs for some users would be great. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tekla View Post
    Just wondering if anyone has tried the solo pack with the approach strapped to it? I am in the market for a new sheep pack and hard to tell which way to go without being able to put my hands on them. I like the sky series but was thinking the versatility of the solo and approach together as quite an advantage. Any advice on stone glacier packs for some users would be great. Thanks
    I have the sky 7400 and its awesome, It packs down really well even when its not full. I can't imagine having a smaller bag then that. Hauling a life size goat cape this year took up half the bag. With the very minimal weight of all his frame/bag systems, theres no reason to not go big.

I used the Solo and Approach setup Fall 2014 for a goat. The problem that I ran into is that when hauling the larger loads like a full goat hide plus gear or all of the meat and some gear, its tough to cinch those two bags to the frame and keep your load centered properly. I'm a small guy and by no means bright, so perhaps a smarter or bigger person could have worked the combo differently. I put the loads in the load shelf and gear in the solo pack and cinched it down and hauled. When I tried to put more gear between the solo and approach or inside the approach (on the solo) with these large loads it was too far away from the frame so I opted to keep my Approach pack with the hide (2nd load) and strap that on when I came back for the second load. In other words, a taller/slightly wider pack works better for me. With that being said mtnclimber has a good point about why not go with the bigger one. But if you are counting ounces and its less, then ya, it'll work. Sorry if this is confusing, feel free to pm if you would like to check out the approach. I really like the SG stuff!

I have both the Terminus and Solo bags along with Krux frame if you'd like to check them out, you're more than welcome to. Just PM me.

I just got the sky 7400 this week so take it for what it's worth... However, I can't imagine the need for a smaller bag. The compression straps are the best layout I've ever seen (just sold two Kifaru frames and Longhunter bag), and empty or low loads this thing gets small! I am still kicking around the approach bag idea as a place for my water bladder but I think I will just sew one up out of silnylon. Been on three hikes and several hours of geak out pack play, I really like this platform/bag.

Default SG 7400 info

Well look at this, two of you with the Sky 7400, and I just posted a request for Sky 7400 info on another thread too. Interesting comment about the water bladder, pacific, because I just sent an email to Kurt this morning asking him about that. The 7400 is listed as "hydration compatible", but I didn't see any info on where the bladder would go or where the hose would feed. I also asked him if the zipper was at all water proof/resistant.

Tough for me spending so much more than I have ever spent on a pack/frame combo, but whatever I get is hopefully going to last me a very long time. Would love to hear more experiences and real packing reviews for this system. The most I see carrying is 80-100lbs for short hauls back to camp (and I'll pay afterwards), but normally I hope to keep loads in the 40-60lb range. My limitations come from 2 ruptured discs in my lower back, left hip problem, and both knees are troubling. That's why I'm looking at lighter systems than my heavy Cabelas, and I believe the new systems like this SG will ride closer to my back with less sloppy movement too.

Not sure why I didn't hear anything from you SG owners, but for others considering the Sky 7400, a buddy of mine and I each bought one. Impressive pack, and after adjusting the shoulder strap elevations for our bodies, we've found this pack to be very comfortable. He's been surprised at how much weight he could carry comfortably, and my recent outing showed how important the adjustments are on this pack. I went cross country, no trail, 2.5 miles round trip, 1500ft elevation change up & then down. Pack w/<7lb rifle on the weapon sling had a total weight of 40lbs. I don't have the spotting scope bag yet (on backorder), which I plan to put on the opposite side from the rifle for balance. I didn't offset the rifle's weight by putting heavier gear on the left inside of the pack. Even so, I found the pack much more stable and comfortable than my previous Cabelas pack, but the pack did pull to the right some. That was even more evident the next day with my sore right trap muscle.

I hung my bladder inside the bag on parachute cord that I strung between the two hydration loops towards the top inside of the bag. I ran the hose out the top of the bag through the tiny hole left after cinching the bag shut.

I'll post up more experiences as time passes for those who are considering the purchase too. A high quality bag! Great no pressure purchase, and questions were very clearly answered in calls preceding the buy.

My wife and I have the Sky Archer 6200. After a month of moderate use I will say it is an incredibly comfortable pack. My wife had broken her collar bone horse back riding in the mountains in Colorado and now has a plate and 8 screws there. Until this pack, everything she wore irritated the old injury. No longer a problem with these awesome packs!!!!

Huntkodiak, glad you're liking your bag. I haven't been on here for almost 3 weeks-work what can I say. There is a hydration port in the 7400, its right behind your head. it is at the same level on the pack as the stay pockets but centerline, right where the 1/2" strap comes over the top. that two tone piece of fabric has a hole behind it for the hose to go through, left or right depending on preference. Cant wait to take mine hunting, only a couple months now!

I wanted to give this thread a restart now that some of you have another season with your packs. I need to replace my kuiu 6000 and I'm trying to decide between the stone glacier 7400, the Kifaru EMR11 and the Kuiu PRO 7200. Any thoughts?

I used a stone glacier this year. I really like it. I packed out a dall sheep and a moose with it. I don't have any experience with the kifaru, but think you can't go wrong with the stone glacier.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bottom line is it boils down to how it fits you and your style of hunting. I have owned two Kifaru packs, and currently own 3 Stone Glacier packs. I have two seasons now with my SG and I have packed 4 deer and a goat with it. I ended up selling both of my Kifaru packs because the SG just seemed to fit me better. Kifaru makes some great packs, I just prefer Stone Glacier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kurt has a new big pack coming out later this month. Call him before you go. I know that I am very happy with my new Stone Glacier 7400.

Quote Originally Posted by pacific-23 View Post
    Huntkodiak, glad you're liking your bag. I haven't been on here for almost 3 weeks-work what can I say. There is a hydration port in the 7400, its right behind your head. it is at the same level on the pack as the stay pockets but centerline, right where the 1/2" strap comes over the top. that two tone piece of fabric has a hole behind it for the hose to go through, left or right depending on preference. Cant wait to take mine hunting, only a couple months now!
    Well crap, I sure wish I'd seen this when you posted it Pacific! Don't know how I missed the notification, and I've used the pack a bunch this summer and fall. The whole time I fed the hose through the cinch hole at the top of the pack. Now I know better, and that pass-through access you pointed out is a whole lot easier.

I love the SG 7400. Used it this summer scouting for goats on Kodiak, on a successful fall moose hunt, and then a successful goat hunt. I didn't have to pack the moose meat as we had a horse transporter who picked up the game bags at the kill site. I did pack out the meat and head from a 5 year old nanny, but I couldn't carry the extra weight of a soaking wet hide. Even so, my pack was around 100lbs, and I seriously don't think I could have done nearly as well with my previous Cabelas external pack. The SG fits so much better, holds the weight closer to my body, and distributes the weight better to my hips & shoulders. I was by myself on the goat hunt & pack out, and dealt with getting the boned meat out of a ravine before climbing to the ridge above and began the 3 mile trek out. Help met me about half way out, and I know many on here are capable of a lot more than I faced. I'll just say I have a lot wrong with my back, hips, knees, & shoulders, and my SG pack helped make this fall a success for me.

Quote Originally Posted by bnkwnto View Post
    I wanted to give this thread a restart now that some of you have another season with your packs. I need to replace my kuiu 6000 and I'm trying to decide between the stone glacier 7400, the Kifaru EMR11 and the Kuiu PRO 7200. Any thoughts?
    I have one of the first 7400's to come off the line. I use it for work as well as hunting, so it's logged triple digit days in the field over the last couple years. Solid, well put together construction that rides tight to the body. Most of the time I use it in "bivy" mode with the lid zipped inside and used as a pull out. Makes a nice compact bag that way. Usually just attach it to the top when I'm bulked out. Use the center zip for access 95% of the time.

Packed my share of three goats off the mountain on Kodiak last week with no complaints, and have hauled a 150lb soggy bear hide with it and survived. The bag is getting sent back in for a re-build this week, but only because the pack (and myself), took a bit of a slide that shredded a some things.

Size wise, I'd say the usable volume is likely a bit less than the EMR II. About on par with the MR 6500 that my partner had last week, and certainly less than a Barneys Pinnacle. When I had the pack stuffed with a fluffy November goat cape and camp, I used the load shelf for the quarters rather than trying to stack it super high. It carried very well that way.

Yk

Hoping to have some more field reports for the 7400 in a couple weeks when we get back from our sheep hunt......seems comfortable with 65 pounds in it, but I have not went but a few yards with it so far......