Thread: Lending out gear...... How do you feel about it?

Default Lending out gear...... How do you feel about it?

So lately I had a very close friend ask if he can borrow all my gear ( tent auger heaters poles etc) because he wanted to do a day trip to a local lake with his family. Well it wasn't just his family, it was his family and a big group of people that I don't really know too well, and i knew alcohol would be involved.... So I said no. He seems to have gotten butt hurt.... Does this make me an ass hole? What are your policies towards loaning gear to friends/ people?

Release Lake Trout

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    So lately I had a very close friend ask if he can borrow all my gear ( tent auger heaters poles etc) because he wanted to do a day trip to a local lake with his family. Well it wasn't just his family, it was his family and a big group of people that I don't really know too well, and i knew alcohol would be involved.... So I said no. He seems to have gotten butt hurt.... Does this make me an ass hole? What are your policies towards loaning gear to friends/ people?
    Too much gear to put at risk of getting broken, lost down the hole, torn, burnt, etc, etc. Might be different if all going were experienced, especially the kids, or if you were going along to manage the setup and use (not much fun for you). The problem isn't you saying no, its with the person who asked not understanding.
    What-a-Day
    27' x 9.5' Glacier Craft - Volvo 300hp D4 Diesel
    Remember: Any fool can be uncomfortable.
    Denny

I let some of my friends borrow my auger or ocassionly a wheeler. But it's only the guys I know are going to take care of it and replace it if they break it or lose it. I don't think I would loan out my tent in the situation you described. Too many people and I would think that they would just abuse it.

you did right to many people an Drinks , if you loose the friend because of it, so be it lots more out there, SID

Thanks guys. I just can't bring myself to put $1000+ worth of stuff at risk. Were it only him and his, I'd be cool, but with a bunch of people I don't trust and I don't want touching my stuff...seems like no one cares if its not thiers, applies to this......

Release Lake Trout

Never loan out anything you couldn't afford to give away. Never borrow anything you can't afford to replace.
    I am no longer surprised at what I am no longer surprised at ---Bill Whittle

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    Were it only him and his, I'd be cool, but with a bunch of people I don't trust and I don't want touching my stuff....
    Did you tell him that? If you did and he can't seem to understand it, then he can remain butt hurt.......imo.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Did you tell him that? If you did and he can't seem to understand it, then he can remain butt hurt.......imo.
    Yeah I told him you can borrow it as long as its just you operating...... But then He said he was bringing a group of people..... Ummm no.

Release Lake Trout

If a buddy wants to borrow an inexpensive fishing rod no problem.
    A hammer or other small tool thats fine by me.
    But my expensive gear? Not unless I am going with them.
    I have just told them in the past that I don't loan out expensive gear unless I am with them for the trip.
    Especially those who I know cannot afford to repair or replace it.
    My dad is the only one who can borrow anything of mine. I know he will treat it as good as his own stuff(which he treats very good)or better.
    And I know he can afford to repair or replace anything that breaks.
    I usually offer people the option to fish with my family and me if they want to go rather than lend them my gear.
    Thats just how it is.
    You did the right thing in my opinion.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

I don't loan out anything if I'll be upset if I don't get it back.
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,
    Teach a man to fish and he'll also learn to drink, lie, and avoid the honey do list.

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    If a buddy wants to borrow an inexpensive fishing rod no problem.
    A hammer or other small tool thats fine by me.
    But my expensive gear? Not unless I am going with them.
    I have just told them in the past that I don't loan out expensive gear unless I am with them for the trip.
    Especially those who I know cannot afford to repair or replace it.
    My dad is the only one who can borrow anything of mine. I know he will treat it as good as his own stuff(which he treats very good)or better.
    And I know he can afford to repair or replace anything that breaks.
    I usually offer people the option to fish with my family and me if they want to go rather than lend them my gear.
    Thats just how it is.
    You did the right thing in my opinion.
    Chris
    I am the same way. I won't borrow something I can't afford to fix or replace and I won't lend something to someone that can't afford to fix or replace it.

I don't loan anything to anyone I'm not confident can replace it. I have loaned out some very nice gear and always got it back in the same condition I sent it out in. I am very reluctant to loan out machinery, to much to go wrong and it frequently gets damaged and the borrower doesn't even recognize that they damaged it. I have had cracked plastic, bent brakes and cut CV covers when I went over a vehicle after getting it back. Some of it may just be cumulative wear and tear and I always just end up fixing it but it leaves a sour taste. Most people aren't as anal retentive as I am about machinery.

It seems every time I loan something out it always comes back broken if its a cheap $15 rod ok but my auger or tent no I don't even let my brothers use my stuff. I always say if im with you you can use it. so you did the right thing.

Yeah, loan your auger and some bozo will run it on straight gas and then say, "I don't know what happened, it just stopped working." Do you think they will replace it? Haha, not a chance.
    I could give examples of how I have been burned, but I'm sure most on this forum have similar stories.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

I recently loaned my auger/shelter/rods, but I knew the guy who would use it and trust that he would take care of it. I also made him come to my house to make sure he understood how everything worked.

Your situation was different. If this friend had said other folks would be using it and drinking involved, I probably wouldn't have offered.
    My only gear sponsor is the salvation army - Dick Griffith