Thread: Helicopters and Fishing in Whittier, AK

Default Helicopters and Fishing in Whittier, AK

We have added a new helicopter on floats to our fleet here at Saltwater Excursions, LLC in Whittier, Alaska. We have been approved to offer helicopter flight seeing tours out of Whittier, AK this summer.

I am trying to get a feel if anyone would be interested in guided fishing for salmon, or trout out of the helicopter in Prince William Sound.

Not sure if there is a market for it.

It would be cool. I saw three guys fishing halibut from a goose back twenty years ago. To do that you would have to have a CHP.

it sounds good, don't know if the sports to fill you up are going to be there, will keep you in mine for this summer SID

I've never flown in a chopper before so I'd be game for sure.............though I doubt I could afford it.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

It is mildly interesting.

What ballpark is the hourly rate going to be in?
    Have to be a memorable trip, you got the hot spots?

How many passengers can you carry? Camp gear too? Drop offs?

I chartered a Jet Ranger out of Cordova to go beach combing. That was totally worth it.
    Thanks }:>
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Beach combing Montague would rock. A few times we've fished relatively close to shore and I almost bet you could pay for a couple hours of chartered chopper time just off the bouys (sp?) washed up on shore that we could see but sure as heck weren't going to anchor up and try to go get.

Default weather

There is often some pretty sketchy flying weather in PWS starting mid summer into the fall.
    Have been on some scary small plane rides for both work and personal visits to Montague.
    Would need an extended bomber forecast and very locally experienced heli pilot for me to try it.

A-Star?
    Robinson R-44?
    R-66?
    Bell?
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskanmutt View Post
    A-Star?
    Robinson R-44?
    R-66?
    Bell?
    According to their website they picked up an Enstrom “Falcon” F-28F helicopter.

http://www.saltwaterexcursions.com/h...ittier-alaska/

I suspect there will be a market for this. It never ceases to amaze me how much we will spend to recreate.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

With all the movie folk that will be in Whittier this year, I'll bet they will stay very busy with that new bird. Good timing.

I don't know if the East side of Montague is fishable from shore, but you'd think with the time it takes to run a boat to some of the farther out points in the sound a helicopter might not be that much more expensive. Figure an hour plus flight time for the trip out, and the same time back and you'll have all day to fish vs. spending more time sitting on a boat than wetting a hook. A rock drop off that sees essentially zero fishing pressure could be pretty.

Then again without a landing pad and a flat spot to fish from that might be a very expensive bush whacking trip
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Gotta ask...

Can the chopper carry gear and kayaks? 12 ft long, weighing roughly 75 pounds each?

When I first read this I thought it would be a great way to access all the lakes that get little to no pressure. I don't see much benefit to being dropped off on a beach for salt water fishing. For camping, there are already water taxi's that can drop people off for likely a cheaper price with more payload.

Flight seeing and trout fishing is where I see value in this service.

Hour there and back times 2 (you do want to be picked up right?)
    Maybe 600 an hour (based on a comparable R-22)
    2400.00. BUT
    the pics you can get will be priceless.

And helos don't need landing pads, a small stretch of beach or even a mostly flat rock will do. I had a R-44 pilot once tell me he could put me down on the front lawn of a remote cabin. (I still had him land on the beach, there was a couple dogs running around and didn't want to spook them.)
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Didn't the OP say it was on floats? Or does that not mean the same thing in the rotor world as it does in the fixed wing world? Not being sarcastic, just curious...