Thread: What do you know about Kamchatka?

Default What do you know about Kamchatka?

Good morning....

Myself and a couple friends have been kicking the idea around of a 2016 Kamchatka trip. I do know one individual that has been over there, and he is putting some paperwork together for me. Has anyone else out there on this forum been? If not, any suggestions on people to talk to about it?

Any information at all would be appreciated! Thanks...

They have big bears over there and funny looking deer with fangs too.....!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    They have big bears over there and funny looking deer with fangs too.....!!!
    Ha!

Yeah, i know about the bears, and i have seen pictures of those lil' fanged deer before. Crazy lookin' critters... I didn't know they resided in Kamchatka though.

Probably going to be a fishing only trip (although it would be cool to go after one of those Snow Sheep while you were there).

I think there are two main operations. I did a lot of research on this several years ago and I think the best one is Best of Kamchatka. I have had several friends fish with them, including one guy who has been 3 times. The rivers they fish don't see any other fishing pressure. It is not an inexpensive trip.

Goo who normally hangs out on the Rafting Forum has guided there you may want to reach back to him for some inside data. He is Sotar Rep and have not seen him posting for a while but I am sure he would be more than willing to toss and assist.

Since we are on the topic, anyone who hasn't seen the DVD Eastern Rises should find it immediately.

BN2FSH - I have checked out "The Best of Kamchatka". Found them in a Google search. They seem to offer some nice packages.

BlueMoose - I might have to jump over to the Rafting Forum and see if i can get a hold of Sotar Rep. Pick his brain a little. Thanks...

KMac - I saw some of Eastern Rises' footage on YouTube. Looked very cool!

we went several years ago when magadan air was still operating between anchorage and petro. we went with best of kamchatka and did the two yurt river. had a great time. will blair runs a good operation and has been operating over there for a long time. his russian partner, viktor, is supposedly a retired veterinarian but he seemed to have a lot of stories about being in the military. from what we heard viktor's connections keep everyone else away from the rivers they fish. comparing notes with those that stayed at the Oz it sounds like there are a lot more big rainbows on the oz. on the two yurt you float every day from fixed camp to fixed camp. never saw any people or even footprints. never saw a fish with a hook mark. there were some long stretches where the river dropped steeply for long distances with minimal fishing opportunity which was a little bit of a bummer. scenery was awesome, saw just 1-2 bears the whole time. they had a couple of bear dogs on the trip. they let them go at night and they run around barking a lot, we assumed at bears since we only saw bears when we were floating. from anchorage it is a pretty easy trip. direct anchorage to petro, they whisk you to a field where you board a helicopter that takes you to the river. the helicopters were well maintained which in the russian far east cant be easy. i think that speaks to the local connections they have. the guides we had on the two yurt float were bear hunting guides who were just making a few bucks while they were waiting for bear season. it didnt matter much since the fishing was just silly. at least back then the more experienced fishing guides worked out of the main camp on the oz. in the past will blair would do at least one exploratory trip a year on a new river. if he is still doing that, that would be a cool option. definitely worth going at least once.

you only need 1 kidney right? sell the other one! would love to go one day but another place far away in Patagonia has my attention for now when it comes to bucket list fishing trips.

Quote Originally Posted by lakecreek View Post
    we went several years ago when magadan air was still operating between anchorage and petro. we went with best of kamchatka and did the two yurt river. had a great time. will blair runs a good operation and has been operating over there for a long time. his russian partner, viktor, is supposedly a retired veterinarian but he seemed to have a lot of stories about being in the military. from what we heard viktor's connections keep everyone else away from the rivers they fish. comparing notes with those that stayed at the Oz it sounds like there are a lot more big rainbows on the oz. on the two yurt you float every day from fixed camp to fixed camp. never saw any people or even footprints. never saw a fish with a hook mark. there were some long stretches where the river dropped steeply for long distances with minimal fishing opportunity which was a little bit of a bummer. scenery was awesome, saw just 1-2 bears the whole time. they had a couple of bear dogs on the trip. they let them go at night and they run around barking a lot, we assumed at bears since we only saw bears when we were floating. from anchorage it is a pretty easy trip. direct anchorage to petro, they whisk you to a field where you board a helicopter that takes you to the river. the helicopters were well maintained which in the russian far east cant be easy. i think that speaks to the local connections they have. the guides we had on the two yurt float were bear hunting guides who were just making a few bucks while they were waiting for bear season. it didnt matter much since the fishing was just silly. at least back then the more experienced fishing guides worked out of the main camp on the oz. in the past will blair would do at least one exploratory trip a year on a new river. if he is still doing that, that would be a cool option. definitely worth going at least once.
    Thanks for the information. I have seen Will Blair on several of "Best of Kamchatka" videos they have out there. They are definitely an outfit that we will be contacting. I read a little bit on the Two Yurt River. Looked very cool (and a lot like AK), like most of the rivers over there that I've seen pictures/video of.

We are thinking quality of fish over quantity. So far, we have three rivers on the main list: Kapushka, Ozernaya, & the Zhupanova. Let me know if you think there are any others that we should look in to.

I know 2 people who have gone fishing there. One went on a 'rainbow research trip' which was fairly inexpensive and a great fishing trip for him. The other went on a high end guided trip with bear dogs in camps and waited on hand and foot. They both had great stories and caught lots of fish. Would love to go fish/bear view there some day.

Quote Originally Posted by lakecreek View Post
    Ok....I give. How much $$$...???
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

cost back then was about 7500 per person all in. flight anchorage to petro, lodging and transportation in kamchatka and miscellaneous like tips etc. i think it is a safe bet that it hasnt gotten any cheaper.