Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Your carry pistol?

Default Your carry pistol?

For those of you that choose to carry a pistol on a regular basis, what is your choice? I am a old and big fan of a good 1911 Govt. Mod. and my customized Browning Hi Power. There wonderful triggers are gun smith tuned to a crisp 4 lbs. and allows them to be shot well if the shooter is up to it. But, I find myself carrying a Glock 19 more then any other pistol. I have been blessed to be able to have other choices. The Glock 36 holds 7 .45 rounds when chambered and is much easier and faster to shoot then my 2" barreled 640 S&W .38 Spl. My .45 caliber Glock 30S holds 10 in the magazine and shoots very well. A 3" K Frame S&W .357 I have had for 30 years has been carried often and is a great hand gun. Yet the Glock 19 is the one I carry the most. It is a stock pistol except for the Warren Tactical 2 lamp sights. I think it has many good qualities for a carry pistol. It is light weight, has a 15 round magazine, the trigger and large trigger guard allow it to be fired with light weight gloves in our cold weather. The plastic frame is not as cold to the touch as steel framed guns and every one makes a holster for it. Like other Glocks it is simple to use, easy to maintain and won't break the bank to purchase. It is as reliable as any other semi auto and for the most part problem free. It is simple to field strip with out tools. It is not a target pistol, but gives acceptable 25 yard accuracy. I think the trigger takes some getting used to, but it can be done. It won't ever win a beauty contest like my custom Hi Power, but it looks very business like in a quality kydex holster. It's 9mm caliber allows it to be shot quickly and with the right load it has plenty of the "right stuff" to serve as a self defense pistol. Now if I can just find me a good Walther .380 for a pocket pistol........

I alternate depending on my planned activity or my attire

In town I either carry a titanium Taurus 450 45 colt or a Sig 938 9mm. If I'm headed out on the trails I pack either a Taurus 415 .41 mag or a S&W Performance Center 629 .44 mag. If I'm pretty sure there will be bears around I strap on the Taurus Raging Bull .454 Casull.

I just acquired an XDS 3.3 .45 auto so that will be added for in town carry too.

I carry a Springfield XDS in 45acp. It's 5+1 with the stock mags and 7+1 with the extended mags, The trigger is glock type, not the best but usable. Accuracy is quite good for a small pistol and although I have only shot about 400rds of cast reloads through it, so far not a single hang up. It is all steel so it does have some weight for it's size which helps control recoil. It's a very well built, solid good shooting pistol. It comes with 2 5 rd mags a plastic holster and a twin mag holder in a fitted case with cut outs for extra mags and such for about $550.

I usually have one of two hand guns on, depending on where I am going. I do find that I have my G20sf(10MM) with two mags on more then my G27(40 S&W) with one extra mag. Yes the G20sf maybe a little too much, but I shoot it more then any of the others that I have.

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    I carry a Springfield XDS in 45acp ........ It is all steel so it does have some weight for it's size which helps control recoil. It's a very well built, solid good shooting pistol. It comes with 2 5 rd mags a plastic holster and a twin mag holder in a fitted case with cut outs for extra mags and such for about $550.
    How the heck did you come by an all steel XDS? They are all manufactured with a steel slide and barrel with a polymer frame http://www.springfield-armory.com/xd-s-series/

My CC sidearm for the past 20+ years is an alloy frame P12-45.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I know that this is 100% personal opinion, so I'm not trying to sway anyone any direction. No matter how many pistols I have, I only ever carry one. It's always the same one. I don't "switch it up" depending on the mood. That's just me. My intent is that if that gun comes out of the holster, I don't want to have to remember which one I'm carrying and if I have to deal with a safety or now, and is it a revolver or a semi, or do I have the right mags on hand... etc.etc. Like I said, I know that's personal opinion so don't take it as if I'm saying any other way is wrong. For me it's a Glock 19. On occasion I have carried a Glock 26 in it's place, but that's so rare it's basically never. I know I can use anything I own, but my carry is the 19. (but that's just me.)

Super reliable S&W 6906 in the burbs. 629 3" Deluxe in the deep field.
    "Punish the monkey - let the organ grinder go" - Mark Knopfler

If i'm not wearing it, its in the truck with me.
    "TG"

Attachment 83005Attachment 83006
    [ Retired and Living the "Dream" in Alaska, Semper-Fi ]

Agree with what many have already said, I love my G27. There is no beating the comfort and the weight, in my opinion.

I carry a SIG Sauer P250 sub-compact in 9mm, primarily because it fits my hands better than other guns I handled. The weight (25 ounces unloaded) is a good compromise between shooting & carrying, and the 3.5" barrel is not too short (in my opinion, of course). The double-action only (DAO) trigger is smooth and consistent, and 12-round magazines are standard.

It is a surprisingly good tool for less than $400.

Having carried a variety of handguns over the years, and no longer a LEO, I've gravitated back to the revolver.
    S&W, Model 58, .41 Magnum.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I generally carry my smith n Wesson 500 on a diamond leather chest holster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Springfield 1911 . 45 Auto, full size. Or, S&W 629, 6" .44 magnum.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

A G30 in the city.
    A Casull of some sort for bruins in the woods.

Right now, S&W Shield 9mm. Loaded with Hornady 135gr FlexLock +p.

Most of the time I drop my Ruger LC9 in my pocket, no holster and good to go. Pretty accurate piece, plenty good for a close encounter. I figure the odds of me really ever going to need to pull and use it are pretty slim, so the physical comfort factor of having one on me trumps more firepower most of the time.
    My favorite to carry when wearing a jacket is my Glock SF 21 - 45acp and my Kimber Concealed Carry 45acp is also sweet but I hate to bang it around for general carry...
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Beretta 92-96 combo for me, xd sub in 40 cal for the missus and a ruger Alaskan in 44 mag with some buffalo bore for the woods

Among others, I have a Kel-Tec P-32 (.32) (bought before the P-3AT, which is the same size); a Kel-Tec P-3AT (.380); a Rohrbaugh R9 Stealth (9mm); a Kahr PM40; and a Glock 27 (.40 S&W).

If I have the room to do so, I usually carry my G27. Itís got a 3.5Ē barrel and, with certain loadings, is very powerful compared to most intended targets. It has very efficient geometry in that itís barrel is very long relative to itís overall length. It also carries 10 rounds.

That being said, even when I carry something larger, I generally have the Rohrbaugh in my pocket. I used to do the same with my Kel-Tec, but the Rohrbaugh is just superior. I actually can shoot decent 25-yard groups with it. My Kel-Tec P-3AT has been very reliable, and I actually never have had a jam with it, but it shoots wide groups in my hands and more-than a foot low at 25 yds. The Rohrbaugh supposedly is the smallest 9mm made, it is very well made, and it is only slightly larger than the Kel-Tec .380. It shoots very well and hits where it's aimed. It is the only 9mm+ caliber-shooting pistol than I can comfortably fit and conceal in my pants pockets. I know some disagree with that style of carry, but I do it safely in a holster that covers the trigger and won't come out of my pocket when I draw the pistol out. If I very feel like I may need it, I can just stick my hand in my pocket, and no one is the wiser. I prefer that over putting my hand under my shirt or whatever with a holster on my hip, etc ... Just my preference.

In the woods, I generally carry my G20 with a 6Ē KKM barrel and some hot 200gr HC loads. But, even then, I have my Rohrbaugh in my pocket. Itís just like carrying a wallet or a set of keys. I barely notice itís there, but feel good having a 2.9Ē 9mm in such a small package.

Below are some photo comparisons of the Kel-Tec P-32; Rohrbaugh R9 Stealth Kahr PM40; and Glock 27:

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

In the Wintertime, my CC is a BFR, 45-70, which is carried in a Sleeve Holster for my left arm.

However, There are 2 downsides to it. First of all, people are always asking me WHY, I don't take my BIG coat off when I go indoors. It's not a huge downside though, since folks usually don't want me to hang around long anyway. Second, that heavy gun slows down my Left Hook some.

To me, the choice of CC gun is all in the carry. At least, I choose what I can Conceal. It has to do more with weight than size. I have multiple holsters for both my CCs. And, I often wear suspenders.

Just dropping a pistol or revolver into my pocket isn't always a good idea, because it prints, and a heavy one will really drag down the pocket, and that will show too. The pistol can get lint, and I don't think it's a good idea to NOT have it in a holster of some sort.

As a result of the above.I'm probably not packin the BEST cartridge choice, for defending myself, 380, 38 Spec, 22 LR. I do carry, though, almost always.

I don't know how you guys manage to carry those BIG guns (most of the time?), without me noticing. I'm open to TIPs.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast