Thread: Closing the access road

Default Closing the access road

If you have listened to me at all, you know I brag about my piece of Alaska near Healy.
    i have seen the whole property and cut a bunch of logs for the cabin. Apparently, for the last 10,000 years people have been accessing the lands west of me by driving through my lot. There is a pretty substantial 4- wheeler trail that goes about 100 yards north of my intended cabin site. It is a trail. It is not numbered, named or shown on any maps. I would like to move it. I would like to 'force' users to turn north at my eastern edge, then proceed across my northern edge and turn back south on my western side. Most of this intended path has been cleared by the state while I have also cleared the rest. it will increase the trip by about 300 yards in length, but it would allow folks to continue to acces their lands without me having to listen to the daily trips back and forth with building materials.

if I cut in the road and put up markers and maybe a sign to explain my position, are folks going to go around? Or do I have to be an a55 about it and close it off? I think I'll try cutting in the trail this year and post a sign asking folks to go around. See how that works first off. Then if I can't get 'compliance' I might have to place a couple gates which I would really hate to do.

I want to be a good neighbor and I intend to be sociable I just don't want to listen to ohvs throughout the day.

so what potential problems do you see with my plan that I might have not considered? Is there a better way to go about my goals?

As long as the new trail is as good as the current one as far as width and lack of mud holes, I see no reason why people wouldn't comply. Especially since they are on private property.

I would respect your property, especially if you go through the work of rerouting the trail, keeping it brushed etc. try to keep the turns gentle.

But there are lots of different people today with many different opinions! As you have pointed out the trail already goes through your property I would guess it will be a several year process to get people use to the change.
    Tim

My guess is your bigger problem is people may cut your logs up for firewood. Or move into your cabin for the winter if you leave for more than a few hours. Or steal everything. All of which could and "WILL" happen even with the new road.

WELCOME To life in Rural Alaska.....2015

There is a huge difference between right-full ownership..........and keeping control of what one right-fully owns......Which is the Foundation for "Possession is 9/10 of the LAW".

Quote Originally Posted by the nikster View Post
    Most of this intended path has been cleared by the state
    If the state cleared it there may be a public easement there. If not, then reroute it.
    One of my properties has about 100' cut off of it for a subdivision access road. It is clear on the platt that it should be on the other side of my corner. I spoke to the owners past my property and they ALL agree that I could cut access at any time. I will eventually block it off and let them build around me. I will gain tons of good gravel from the road. Or open a toll road!
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Quote Originally Posted by bullbuster View Post
    If the state cleared it there may be a public easement there. If not, then reroute it.
    One of my properties has about 100' cut off of it for a subdivision access road. It is clear on the platt that it should be on the other side of my corner. I spoke to the owners past my property and they ALL agree that I could cut access at any time. I will eventually block it off and let them build around me. I will gain tons of good gravel from the road. Or open a toll road!
    I think he meant the state cleared the reroute.....?
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by mit View Post
    I think he meant the state cleared the reroute.....?
    I purchased in a subdivision. There are easements all the way around so I figured to just reroute to the easement. I should be able to keep the new road pretty clear and I saw no bogginess when I walked it.
    I will likely not even lock the place. Those in dire straights will break their way in as would bad guys, either way, the less damage they do getting in the better off I am. I don't intend to leave a lot of borrowable items laying around.