Thread: Garmin TR-1 Autopilot

Default Garmin TR-1 Autopilot

Anyone use a Garmin TR-1 autopilot? They look like a pretty good rig, and would be perfect for me when I'm hand trolling in windy/swelly conditions. Would love to hear some feedback if anyone has any experience with them!

Here's a video of one operating in some decent waves/wind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRzt0uclk6o

They have a good reputation. In the past, it was the only option from Garmin. Another option now is to use a GHP 20 or GHP 10 for both your kicker and main, then you have a highspeed autopilot as well as a trolling one. I have this setup at it works well both at speed and trolling. They even allow two different configurations, and make it where you can set the speed that it switches parameters at. One possible hangup is if you don't have one hydraulic system that controls both the kicker and the main, which would have to be addressed before what I am suggesting.

In addition to friends endorsing the TR1 I have read a lot position about them. Do a search here and on www.thehulltruth.com as well and I think you fill find a lot of details.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

I have one and love it. If you have any questions just ask.

The TR-1 is nice but it does have it's limitation and it's expensive. We installed one a number of years ago and last year had to change out the pump other then that the customer has been very happy with it. It's also limited to 20hp kickers if I recall. A much simpler system is the Intellisteer system if your just looking for a remote steering system. Its beefy and can be used on engines up to 120hp. The system sells for a 1/3 of the cost of TR1.

I have the TR-! Garmin on the mains (twin 300s) of my new boat, (no kicker).My first one and looking forward to using it.
    I'm planning my trip up this spring from Washington and hopefully it works well.

Quote Originally Posted by redleader View Post
    I have the TR-! Garmin on the mains (twin 300s) of my new boat, (no kicker).My first one and looking forward to using it.
    I'm planning my trip up this spring from Washington and hopefully it works well.
    I havent looked at the system in a while. Are they now able to work with large hp engines?

Mines the tr-1 called The Gladiator with Shadow Drive by Garmin. The Owners manual shows it being used with all brands and size outboards, IO's or deisels.
    It looks pretty complicated, I may need some lessons.