Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gill nets to now be allowed on kasilof and kenai from lower skilak to the mouth

Default Gill nets to now be allowed on kasilof and kenai from lower skilak to the mouth

A gillnet, not gillnets, as of now. Anyway this should thread should probably go in the fisheries management forum although there will likely be an effect on sport fishers. What surprises me is that a federal subsistence fishery can be approved on state navigable waters. Research time...
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

Not just one dinner! They're could be a max of three nets in at one time, one for each community

What!!!? You guys don't want me to be able to feed my starving kids!!?
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Quote Originally Posted by Kraig View Post
    Not just one dinner! They're could be a max of three nets in at one time, one for each community
    There could be three nets, but as of right now only one permit issued. Even with three nets in river, the maximum length could not exceed 180' total. 4K fish allocated during periods in June and July in specific areas of the river. The nets will not be in the water continuously and they will not be everywhere. I believe this will kill some rainbows and dolly varden, but I know that subsistence harvest has a priority over sport fishing, by law. There are a lot of questions still to be answered as far as mesh size and such, but it is not the end of the kenai trout or king.

Quote Originally Posted by cod View Post
    The Kenai is pretty rural. It's not like they can just go down to the nearest store and buy food. Oh wait, they can
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    The Kenai is pretty rural. It's not like they can just go down to the nearest store and buy food. Oh wait, they can
    With that logic in mind....The kenai is the only river to fly fish, its not like you can go fish another river. Oh wait, you can!

Quote Originally Posted by DannerAK View Post
    With that logic in mind....The kenai is the only river to fly fish, its not like you can go fish another river. Oh wait, you can!
    But the Kenai river is over 50 miles from Ninilchik and the Kasilof river is over 30 miles away.
    Why not allow them to set a net in the Ninilchik river? It's a lot closer and I guarantee traditionally the ninilchik residents 100+ years ago got more fish from it than they ever did the Kenai river.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Default Gill nets to now be allowed on kasilof and kenai from lower skilak to the mouth

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    Why not allow them to set a net in the Ninilchik river? It's a lot closer and I guarantee traditionally the ninilchik residents 100+ years ago got more fish from it than they ever did the Kenai river.
    Good question

Quote Originally Posted by cod View Post
    Not before you sell your Lexus first...!!!........lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Why could they not use selective harvest methods?
    Like fish wheels for instance.
    I can see gill nets putting the hurt on larger sized trout and dollys.

Wow talk about opening Pandora's Box.

So much for what was left of the 10lb. rainbows. Now that the King fishery is wasted, get the rest of the trophy trout out of there and I'll be able to get a spot on the river no problem here in a few years, catching planted 10" rainbows is way more fun in a river than a lake anyway...

This is on federal lands, so the fed subsistence board cannot authorize fishing on the Ninilchik which is State or Native lands. Fed lands on the middle Kenai are from Skilak Lake down to the Swan sign. This is going to decimate big rainbows in that section of the river.

We already allow dipnets for subsistence. What more do we need too do to screw up the Kenai? Yeah there's other rivers for all the trout guys and dont get me wrong I'm not the elitist trout fly angler. Correct me if I'm wrong but these nets going in probably haven't been on the Kenai for many years. JUST MY OPINION! If the federal government wants to go above our state fish management and implement these nets in the Kenai, then Alaskan natives and all the locals that recently moved to Cooper Landing from Anchorage must use old traditional means to harvest, transport, and process their subsistence right every Alaskan thinks their entitled to.
    I just HOPE these fish wont be like some of the sockeye dipnetted from the Kenai. i.e over harvesting, fish being sent to your family in the states or other countries, freezer burnt, or to just be thrown away because dipnetting opens next week and gotta make room in the freezer. Not to mention the trash, clean up, and pollution. Seems like we are taking a step forward in the King Salmon department to only take a few backwards.
    As a born and raised Alaskan it just seems people are trying to ruin all of our resources for their own selfish acts.

Please tell me what you think would love to hear it. The pot just got stirred.

Well I don't know very much about this topic, but what I see happening is a lot of nets getting messed up do to boat traffic, not to mention the pissed off people looking for a new gravel bar to fish from………like there is to much space to go around as it is in July…….

You know it really is a sad state of affairs that this river has become.
    I kind of wonder if this is an indication of a bad summer for commercial guys? Like more restrictions, less hours? But still a need to harvest a good amount of fish? Who knows, but should make for an interesting summer.

Quote Originally Posted by IceHunter View Post
    We already allow dipnets for subsistence. What more do we need too do to screw up the Kenai? Yeah there's other rivers for all the trout guys and dont get me wrong I'm not the elitist trout fly angler. Correct me if I'm wrong but these nets going in probably haven't been on the Kenai for many years. JUST MY OPINION! If the federal government wants to go above our state fish management and implement these nets in the Kenai, then Alaskan natives and all the locals that recently moved to Cooper Landing from Anchorage must use old traditional means to harvest, transport, and process their subsistence right every Alaskan thinks their entitled to.
    I just HOPE these fish wont be like some of the sockeye dipnetted from the Kenai. i.e over harvesting, fish being sent to your family in the states or other countries, freezer burnt, or to just be thrown away because dipnetting opens next week and gotta make room in the freezer. Not to mention the trash, clean up, and pollution. Seems like we are taking a step forward in the King Salmon department to only take a few backwards.
    As a born and raised Alaskan it just seems people are trying to ruin all of our resources for their own selfish acts.

Please tell me what you think would love to hear it. The pot just got stirred.
    You know I would even support letting them dipnet from the federal land, but an indiscriminate killer like a gill net is un-believable!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This decision can be reversed. Let the Federal Subsistence Board hear from you! Subsistence@fws.gov

Awesome. Just sent an email to the Board!

I just heard they issued the permits to allow this fishery...Second hand and no real alternative source that I can find. But I heard it from a fairly reliable source....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast