Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Trucking or Freight Delivery Service Question

  1. #1

    Default Trucking or Freight Delivery Service Question

    Hey, does anyone know of a trucking or freight delivery service in Anchorage or the valley that would pick up a pile of 3-sided logs in Wasilla and deliver them out to Lake Louise? My wife are planning on building a log cabin out there in a few years, and we have a couple large stacks of logs sitting in our back yard seasoning. Once they are all seasoned we would like them delivered out to Lake Louise and then we will haul them in by snow machine to our property. I could haul them all by myself with my truck, but when I think of all the gas, wear and tear on my truck etc, it would probably be wise to just have them delivered but I don't know who would even do this. There are 120 logs in various lengths of 8, 10, and 12 ft. I am estimating the weight to be somewhere in the neighborhood of about 18,000 lbs. Give or take a couple thousand pounds.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Alexander Creek
    Posts
    1,192

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    Hey, does anyone know of a trucking or freight delivery service in Anchorage or the valley that would pick up a pile of 3-sided logs in Wasilla and deliver them out to Lake Louise? My wife are planning on building a log cabin out there in a few years, and we have a couple large stacks of logs sitting in our back yard seasoning. Once they are all seasoned we would like them delivered out to Lake Louise and then we will haul them in by snow machine to our property. I could haul them all by myself with my truck, but when I think of all the gas, wear and tear on my truck etc, it would probably be wise to just have them delivered but I don't know who would even do this. There are 120 logs in various lengths of 8, 10, and 12 ft. I am estimating the weight to be somewhere in the neighborhood of about 18,000 lbs. Give or take a couple thousand pounds.

    PM me. I can probably she you up.

  3. #3
    Member AKDoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Talkeetna
    Posts
    5,714

    Default

    I'd be interested, but I think my trucks would be too large. How do you plan to load and unload?
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alexander View Post
    PM me. I can probably she you up.
    Alexander. PM sent. Thanks.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    I'd be interested, but I think my trucks would be too large. How do you plan to load and unload?
    Hey AKDoug. Great question. Not really sure. I suppose I can hand load them myself but it would take awhile. My wife and I hauled them down from Willow ourselves one weekend. It was a lot of work though. We had to make several trips. I was kind of hoping whoever picked them up would have some type of mechanical lift to load and unload but I ain't afraid to work if I have to. Probably the only problem would be the amount of time it would take to load and unload. Let me know if you are still interested or if you know of anybody who can get the job done. Thanks for the reply.

  6. #6
    Supporting Member bullbuster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Mean streets of Fairview
    Posts
    1,140

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    My wife and I hauled them down from Willow
    Did you buy them or cut them in Willow. I am looking for house size logs. The mill I want to use is in Willow.

    Thanks
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bullbuster View Post
    Did you buy them or cut them in Willow. I am looking for house size logs. The mill I want to use is in Willow.

    Thanks
    Hey bullbuster, I bought my logs from Ramey Smyth up in willow. Ramey is a good friend of mine and an excellent craftsman. He and I used to guide to together back in the day. Here is a link to a thread I posted back in September about my logs. You can see a picture of them there. They are 8" 3-sided logs.

    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...s-have-arrived!

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Eagle River,AK
    Posts
    1,494

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    I'd be interested, but I think my trucks would be too large. How do you plan to load and unload?
    Help him out Doug, then we can have a little show down on who's harder on the old Bearcats. I'll take ya fishing...

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Eagle River,AK
    Posts
    1,494

    Default

    BJ, as you know I built my place out of logs up there. I hualed all my logs, trusses, metal and plywood up there myself. I rented two big flat bed trucks from Gary's truck rental in Anchorage. I got a couple of friends to drive them up as I followed in my own truck. Once we got there we all unloaded them in a few hours by hand and then I sent my friends back to town with the trucks so I only had one day rental on each truck. Might talk to John at LL lodge, I bet he would let ya stack and store your material there at the lodge for a min fee so you could haul out to your site when you can. Another option is hit up some of the big firewood guys in the Valley. They have the trucks and bet you could work a deal. Good luck and let me know when you need the freighter, it's just sitting around..

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trailblazersteve View Post
    BJ, as you know I built my place out of logs up there. I hualed all my logs, trusses, metal and plywood up there myself. I rented two big flat bed trucks from Gary's truck rental in Anchorage. I got a couple of friends to drive them up as I followed in my own truck. Once we got there we all unloaded them in a few hours by hand and then I sent my friends back to town with the trucks so I only had one day rental on each truck. Might talk to John at LL lodge, I bet he would let ya stack and store your material there at the lodge for a min fee so you could haul out to your site when you can. Another option is hit up some of the big firewood guys in the Valley. They have the trucks and bet you could work a deal. Good luck and let me know when you need the freighter, it's just sitting around..
    Hey Steve, that's a great idea. Right now I am discussing my options with Alexander to see how much he would charge to haul it up there and then I then maybe I will compare his cost with your idea. I actually did talk to John at LL lodge and he said it was fine to store the lumber up there for a fee. So I will probably do that as well. Thanks again for all your advice and the generosity of offering to use your sled. I'm hoping to start hauling some of my lumber (floor and roof materials) sometime in March and April. Are you going to need your sled in March and April? If not, then I will definitely take you up on your offer.

  11. #11
    Supporting Member bullbuster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Mean streets of Fairview
    Posts
    1,140

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    Hey bullbuster, I bought my logs from Ramey Smyth up in willow. Ramey is a good friend of mine and an excellent craftsman. He and I used to guide to together back in the day. Here is a link to a thread I posted back in September about my logs. You can see a picture of them there. They are 8" 3-sided logs.

    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...s-have-arrived!
    Thanks BJ. I have heard of Ramey.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

  12. #12
    Member AKDoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Talkeetna
    Posts
    5,714

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trailblazersteve View Post
    BJ, as you know I built my place out of logs up there. I hualed all my logs, trusses, metal and plywood up there myself. I rented two big flat bed trucks from Gary's truck rental in Anchorage. I got a couple of friends to drive them up as I followed in my own truck. Once we got there we all unloaded them in a few hours by hand and then I sent my friends back to town with the trucks so I only had one day rental on each truck. Might talk to John at LL lodge, I bet he would let ya stack and store your material there at the lodge for a min fee so you could haul out to your site when you can. Another option is hit up some of the big firewood guys in the Valley. They have the trucks and bet you could work a deal. Good luck and let me know when you need the freighter, it's just sitting around..
    I assume those were less than CDL required trucks. In that case, that might be a great idea. My truck is a semi with a 45' flat. I run at $100 per hour, so hand loading and unloading can get quite expensive. If you are only at 18,000# you could get away with a big gooseneck trailer.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •