Thread: Remote Living and TV

Default Remote Living and TV

Not sure if this right spot, but not sure where to ask ? What TRUTH is there to the TV show, Alaskan Bush People ? Are there places in Alaska where people just build a cabin or whatever and live ? This show seems like a lot of fluff and no fact ?

Quote Originally Posted by rjburk View Post
    Not sure if this right spot, but not sure where to ask ? What TRUTH is there to the TV show, Alaskan Bush People ? Are there places in Alaska where people just build a cabin or whatever and live ? This show seems like a lot of fluff and no fact ?
    What truth is there? Absolutely none!
    I haven't watched this particular show just ads and highlights. But I do know it is fake.
    Did you know the Browns face charges of PFD fraud. Thats right their Alaska residency is questionable.
    This is the first one that poped up in a google search but I believe it's pretty factual.
    http://stoopidhousewives.com/2015/01...elony-charges/
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

The show is BS, but there are people that live remotely. Very remotely.

Saw part of one tonight and although i am not in alaska it was funny that the axe's they were using still had the stickers on the heads and the handsaws they used looked brand spanking new. I am amazed everyone doesn't see right
    Through those shows

[QUOTE=rjburk) Are there places in Alaska where people just build a cabin or whatever and live? [/QUOTE]

Heck yeah!! I call mine a small house, but yea, I live here and everything!
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Go to this site and read, this was in the paper today. http://www.adn.com/search/site/reality%20check
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

I was not clear on one part of what I asked.....Do people actually just pick a piece of land and live on it regardless of who owns it ? like State or Federal property ? The TV show seems to indicate that ?

Do you believe everything you see on T.V. is for real?
    "Grin and Bear It"

I was not clear on one part of what I asked.....Do people actually just pick a piece of land and live on it regardless of who owns it ? like State or Federal property ? The TV show seems to indicate that ?
    . Some have some do, only luck determines how long they stay. Ref: Into the Wild.
    JOHN

It's called a squatters cabin.
    Once upon a time people got away with it.
    You won't likely get away with it anymore.
    If you did it today you would likely be fined and required to remove it if they proved it was yours.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

http://peninsulaclarion.com/news/201...rms-violations
    This guy built a squatters cabin among other illegal activities, the forest service plans to tear it down.
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,
    Teach a man to fish and he'll also learn to drink, lie, and avoid the honey do list.

obviously if I did I would not have asked.....that is why I was wanting people who live there to tell me what the truth was....

Sounds like the squatter cabin was down on the list concerning authorities....

obviously if I did I would not have asked.....that is why I was wanting people who live there to tell me what the truth was....
    The true story...

Alaskan Bush People - Page 4
    "Grin and Bear It"

No.

And every year, as the state sells more and more public lands through the land lottery system, there is more and more land be locked up, gated, and posted.

If you're interested in legally acquiring land in Alaska, go to the Dept. of Natural Resources page and sign up for the list serve; they will email you notification of every public sale. But it ain't cheap no more.

PS: Many (if not most?) Alaskans hate and despise most of those shows, and this is exactly why; they give people from outside, such as yourself, blatantly false and misleading notions about life in Alaska. (It's not your fault personally, I think a lot of us are just sick to death of it.)

Sounds like the squatter cabin was down on the list concerning authorities....
    Well since you like Alaskan u-reality TV so much, go through the old episodes of State Troopers, and you'll find at least one episode where they run an old guy off his squatter's cabin and tear it down.

I mean sure, if you want to be a "maverick" you can trespass on public or private lands for a time and hide out in a shack, but you'll eventually get caught. Especially on private land. Heck, last summer, my son and I drove our 4 wheelers on someone's land by accident, and the guy found me on here and called me out for it.