Thread: Moose Decoy

Default Moose Decoy

Everyone,

I have been playing around with an idea of using a cut-out cardboard moose decoy for a long time. The other day I ran across a YT video where some cannucks are using a (forgive the expression) blow-up doll decoy.

1. I can find nothing in the regs prohibiting the employment of this tactic. If I'm wrong please correct me and direct me to the section I am missing.

2. Assuming that there is nothing prohibiting it, has anyone else ever tried? Successful? Not worth the effort?

Thank you all in advance.

Jim~

I don't think cardboard would hold up very well in the rain.
    "Grin and Bear It"

Sportmans warehouse actually has some fabric silouettes of cow moose. And I'm a gonna go git me one a dem too. Might come in handy on a woof hunt soon.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Nice.

I know what you mean. I think there are a lot of possibilities, especially w/predators.

My idea is the same with a bull. Something to bring the more stubborn boys in and hold their attention just long enough.

It would be a great experiment anyhow.

I use 2 of them they work great! Stay away from the Extreme dimension ones they have to much glare on them and the heads are a pain in the *****
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

We have two in camp and they arw fantastic, montana decoys are the ones. Picked the last one up at bass pro. Have made some slight alteration to keep them functioning in the wind.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Look up Montana decoys. They fold up into your backpack and have tent poles to set them up when needed.

Thanks, guys.

Iwould be careful where you use them. With all the cow moose hunts you couldfind a nice bullet hole in your decoy! Would be worse if you were behind it!

My buddy and I used a crude blackened cardboard cutout with success on a moose bowhunt where we really needed a close shot (longbow range, like 20 yards). I called in several bulls that hung up out of range, using grunts, cow calls, and even banged two scapula together to simulate sparring. When I finally showed them the decoy, they walked right into range.....but soon ran back out of range. Hey, at least I did MY job.......