Thread: currency?

Default currency?

Is there a currency exchange in Anch? I've talked to a couple banks in the valley and they can't guarantee they will have adequate funds on hand. Driving back next month from Spokane and its easier for me to change over to Canadian funds here before I fly down.
    In Nature's Image Taxidermy and Game Calls
    Palmer

A bank HQ office is where I would start. I used to use NBA back in the day on C and Northernlights even though I was not a member. They would not take any kind of coin, even the dollar coins, back. I eventually traded the $15CN in dollar coins to someone headed south.

The Well Fargo Bank in the Mall exchanges ours before our trips. Be sure to carry a couple of grand in Canadian cash-enough to at least buy all your fuel. Every trip I've taken (5) I've had ajor problems because their card readers won't accept our cards. (Debit cards won't work at all as credit/debit cards-only at ATM's) Only Bank of America credit cards work and only if your card has the chip and you can put it in the chip reader at the bottom of the POS machine. At one point, tings go so bad that I was starting to figure out how to steal fuel from parked cars because I was out of gas and couldn't buy any. In Whitehorse, the gas station owner insisted I pump first and pay later. When the card didn't work, it almost came down to me driving off and them calling the police. (I ended paying only part of the bill, and then in US dollars; I was picking up coins from under the floor mats.) I'll never go into Canada again without hordes of cash.

I've never found a place that didn't accept Yanks, and most of them are usually pretty fair on the exchange rate.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

It's been a few yrs so don't know if it's still there, but we have used a place next to F St Station on the corner there. I think it was part of a hotel. Wife seems to think it was a Hilton. Maybe someone familiar with downtown can verify/ identify this building I described. I'm trying to rely on my memory, which I hate to do. I'm describing the building...... if one walks out of F St Station, turns left, it would be on that corner U approach. Anybody???
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    The Well Fargo Bank in the Mall exchanges ours before our trips. Be sure to carry a couple of grand in Canadian cash-enough to at least buy all your fuel. Every trip I've taken (5) I've had ajor problems because their card readers won't accept our cards. (Debit cards won't work at all as credit/debit cards-only at ATM's) Only Bank of America credit cards work and only if your card has the chip and you can put it in the chip reader at the bottom of the POS machine. At one point, tings go so bad that I was starting to figure out how to steal fuel from parked cars because I was out of gas and couldn't buy any. In Whitehorse, the gas station owner insisted I pump first and pay later. When the card didn't work, it almost came down to me driving off and them calling the police. (I ended paying only part of the bill, and then in US dollars; I was picking up coins from under the floor mats.) I'll never go into Canada again without hordes of cash.
    Hmmm, that's very different from my experiences. I haven't driven through in a few years, so maybe it has changed? In all of my previous trips, I always used my Bank of America (Alaska Airlines) Visa and never had a single problem. Used it at every gas station, mostly swipe at the pump style, and never had it not work. No special chip in the card. I've never bothered to carry any Canadian cash driving through. Seemed I saw others using US cash without problems when they needed to.

I drove up twice in the last two year and cc's worked if I went inside and prepaid. And the poster was right it had to do with the "chip". Imagine a moving truck pulling a trailer and my wife in the mini van behind me. We used a ton of gas and each time we filled up it took forever. Supposedly, the US is changing and all our cards will be chipped by 2016. But back to my point. I want to have $500/$1,000 in cash, just in case. When I lived on the Michigan/Soo Canada Border I worked at a currency exchange/party store. As there isn't anything like that at Border City, I figured Ill have to change out here in the Valley or Anch.
    In Nature's Image Taxidermy and Game Calls
    Palmer