Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hiker in Court

Default Hiker in Court

http://www.ktoo.org/2015/01/22/hiker...e-court-today/

http://www.adn.com/article/20150122/...-rescued-eagle

Your opinions on this overall situation as to what may have been handled differently?
    "Punish the monkey - let the organ grinder go" - Mark Knopfler

Kudos to the gal for trying to save the eagle, which they decided to euthanize the bird anyway, after it got saved from the traps. She should have left the other traps alone, instead she sprang them, and then said she had done so...if she hadn't admitted to springing the traps, she wouldn't be in court for it. If she thought they were too close to the trail, then she should have reported it, and let someone with authority deal with it.
    "Grin and Bear It"

She is apparently an honest soul. Kinda cooked her own goose with the additional actions.
    Will be interesting to see the outcome.

The lack of prosecution here might look like a green light to those who consider arbitrarily springing traps.
    I know a guy in the interior who would like to spring every trap he finds.

Sent from my Obama phone while eating EBT lobster.

Oh sweet Jesus. Reading the comments to that article, I wonder if any of those folks parents had children that survived.

Good on her for trying to save the eagle. The rest, not so much.

My favorite comment was the lady saying how barbaric trapping is, yet she sport fishes. So I guess piercing a fish with a hook, fighting it to exhaustion, pulling it out of the water, bashing it over the head, and laying it on the bank to die isn't as barbaric as trapping an animal? People are ridiculous
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Quote Originally Posted by Meanderthal View Post
    The lack of prosecution here might look like a green light to those who consider arbitrarily springing traps.
    What lack of prosecution? It says her arraignment was this afternoon.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    What lack of prosecution? It says her arraignment was this afternoon.
    Case was dismissed.

http://www.ktoo.org/2015/01/22/case-...trapped-eagle/

Quote Originally Posted by 68 Bronco View Post
    Roger. Thanks.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    #Resist

I may add that it probably isn't the greatest idea to have your trap line near homes & popular hiking trails, as you are increasing your chances of catching non target animals, like someone's pet, and/or having your traps or snares messed with or stolen.
    "Grin and Bear It"

Tearbear,

I agree with your statement but in the Trappers defense,
    I was born and raised in Juneau, worked on a trail crew there, hiked themajority of trails in Juneau, and up till this case had never heard of theDavies creek trail. From what I hear its more of a bushwhack/game trail then ahiking trail. I bet the trapper didn't realize that it was used (I may begiving him more credit than he deserves). Anyways this case upsets me as itbasically gives the public the moral authority to determine where people can trap.While I don't think the lady should have gotten a 10,000 fine a small($100-$200) would have sent the message; "talk to the troopers, don't takethe law into your own hands".

The Davies Cr. trail is in the middle of nowhere and definitley not a fun hike (hiked it once, unlikely to repeat the experience), literally miles from nearest home and there are few in that stretch period (and that's saying something for Juneau, cramped as we are). Good on her for trying to do something for the bird, bad on her for messing with legally set traps, I agree that some sort of conviction, even if slight, was in order. Lots of outdoorsmen in Juneau, but also a ton of Patagoochie trail walkers and hikers that buy their protein. And, since they are the majority of the trail users, I do not like the precedent this could set for others of the same mindset.

Quote Originally Posted by AKducks View Post
    ...a small($100-$200) would have sent the message; "talk to the troopers, don't take the law into your own hands".
    And I do agree with this...

Quote Originally Posted by Catch It View Post
    ...Good on her for trying to do something for the bird, bad on her for messing with legally set traps, I agree that some sort of conviction, even if slight, was in order...
    And this statement as well...as stated in my very first post (#2) on the subject. Though I did not mention what kind of fine she deserved, as I wasn't the Judge who decided what was in order, that was his decision.

Since I don't live in Juneau and have never been there, it's nice that you guys have clarified this trail as pretty much a bushwack game trail, in the middle of nowhere.
    "Grin and Bear It"

I guess to be clear, it's not exactly a bushwack (or doesn't have to be) it's an old overgrown mining trail (I think) that is not maintained in any way, is plenty wet, and starts in a big ol gravel pit that's a fair distance from the road behind a gate. When I walked it I was heading out from a survey and to the pretty part of the valley from the road it was a pretty good slog. Not the usual cup of tea for the goretex crowd.....but not no more, it done been discovered after this. However, it's about as remote as you are gonna get in the Juneau area and plenty rough as a "trail" goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tearbear View Post
    Since I don't live in Juneau and have never been there, it's nice that you guys have clarified this trail as pretty much a bushwack game trail, in the middle of nowhere.
    Personally, and meaning no absolutely disrespect to posters' claims on the trail (it is very nice to have this input);
    I would need to see/learn more to fully concur as to its character and usage.
    Why?? - Because I am hyper aware of contested, but incredibly well-documented historic trails that the State officially handles as though they do not exist at all. Political expediency - special interest politics and policies can twist things even to the degree that a route is not a 'trail' until it is well traveled by machines or fits other favored parameters of the hour. Of course, available 'resources' for land managers to keep up with trail usage complicates.

Basically, I have experienced the political and hard lessons of contentious trail use and in some cases, it takes quite a number of testimonies, research, on the ground work, etc. to extract the broader story. Population growth, emphasis on outdoor recreation, and so on translates to more trail use. What defines a trail is not the same to everyone. Some users prefer a challenging trail, by example.

Things change and user differences and challenges will arise.

(Thanks for the further clarifications as I typed this, Catch It)

If the trapper was setting traps legally...I can see her trying to save the eagle...but imo she should have left the rest of the traps alone, and contacted a Trooper on the matter if she had an issue with it.
    "Grin and Bear It"

Quote Originally Posted by Tearbear View Post
    If the trapper was setting traps legally...I can see her trying to save the eagle...but imo she should have left the rest of the traps alone, and contacted a Trooper on the matter if she had an issue with it.
    Absolutely agree.

Quote Originally Posted by 68 Bronco View Post
    Absolutely agree.

Agreed, respect other peoples legal rights...
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

I agree that she should have left the other traps alone.
    What concerns me is when someone like this gets off what message does it send or precedent does it create?
    So Joe Trapper spends years maintaining and using a trapline trail. Now some random person comes along and claims that they now hike the trail with their pets and have been for awhile so it should be off limits to trappers.
    That what I see being started here. Especially when we have local insight (Thanks Catch It)on this trail and how it is not so widely used as this gal would have us believe.
    She should have gotten a small fine as a reminder to her and others what the law is.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

She stated she's not opposed to trapping, and that she was aware of the law. If the trapper had posted the trailhead as an active trapline, I wonder if she wouldn't have avoided it in the first place, at least with her dog. Trails on public land don't belong to any one individual, for any one purpose. Marking an active trapline is common courtesy. Respect for trail users is a two way street.
    #Resist

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast