Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Drones over the valley and anchorage

Default Drones over the valley and anchorage

Has anyone had a close call with a drone here? Is it likely a drone would bring down a plane if it struck the prop? Does anyone know when the FAA is going to release regs that will crack down on drone pilots any where above tree top or near airports?

A buddy of mine almost struck a drone at 1200' agl. I am thinking about emailing Dan Sullivan to see if regs can be pushed through faster, not that it will do anything but then I have a right to complain lol.

Quote Originally Posted by rppearso View Post
    Has anyone had a close call with a drone here? Is it likely a drone would bring down a plane if it struck the prop? Does anyone know when the FAA is going to release regs that will crack down on drone pilots any where above tree top or near airports?

A buddy of mine almost struck a drone at 1200' agl. I am thinking about emailing Dan Sullivan to see if regs can be pushed through faster, not that it will do anything but then I have a right to complain lol.
    ive not seen a drone yet but. I have seen RC helicopters and planes get hit by aircraft. And that is risky enough. I'm sure though pilots that hit them were pissed.

Release Lake Trout

My guess is that such a prop strike would call for an IMMEDIATE engine shutdown on account of ensuing vibrations. Just a guess. but a prop is a delicate chunk of metal out front . . .

A drone is a multimillion dollar military weapon. I'm pretty sure you saw an RC multi copter.
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

Yes I am refering to relativly cheap commercially avalible radio controled aircraft. From the sounds of it this does not sound like a significant issue ..... yet. Shutting down your engine mid flight and being forced to land could end very badly so I dont think that is a trivial matter but others may disagree.

It's already illegal to fly a quad copter that high. New regs aren't going to change that.

I heard that it was a grey area depending if you are using the drone for commercial use or not. Do you know if altitude prohibitions for civilian use are in the FAR's?

Quote Originally Posted by NRick View Post
    It's already illegal to fly a quad copter that high. New regs aren't going to change that.

I'm curious where the near miss occurred? I am a "drone" owner and a pilot and am very up to date on information with drones and the FAA.

I heard that it was a grey area depending if you are using the drone for commercial use or not. Do you know if altitude prohibitions for civilian use are in the FAR's?
    Teach me for simply parroting what I've read in several places. When I went searching for the specific regulation, I couldn't find one with the 400' agl number I read about. Just an FAA advisory circular from the 1980's advising against model aircraft flight above 400' agl. Found some stuff under proposed rulemaking but it did not specifically call out 400'. So, yes, I'd say a gray area for now. I still believe once they come out with rules that it will do nothing to stop people from flying drones too high unless there is some real enforcement to back it up.

I'm sure this only applies to some "drones", but I know that some that have GPS capabilities built in (so they can return on their own if they lose contact with the controller) are pre-programmed so that they will not function at all within a certain proximity of things like airports. For example, a friend was unable to fly his near the Anchorage International Airport. There was nothing he could do to make it work, it just would not fly based on it's GPS settings.

I am sure major airports already have active jamming of the 2.4 ghz frequency and all the near frequencies that these civilian units hop too. Im not worried about drones flyin out on alaska air lines. Even if the jammed signals say at palmer and wasilla the issue is drones flying too high in all the areas between where planes regularly fly 500 to 1000 ft such as wolf lake or any other number of small strips. My buddy was flying over wasilla proper (ie not that close to wasilla airport).

The sad thing is it will take someone getting killed before the FAA starts cracking down. Most likely the crack down will be on the people who make the drones and the replacement parts. They need to keep them hugely expensive and make batteries/replacement parts cost prohitive to anyone but seroius people.

The model plane people were never an issue, it wasent till these quad copters came out that it seemed everyone had to have one, must not be able to put a gopro on an RC helicopter or they were cost prohibitive. Maybe a tax to keep most people out of the market.

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    I'm sure this only applies to some "drones", but I know that some that have GPS capabilities built in (so they can return on their own if they lose contact with the controller) are pre-programmed so that they will not function at all within a certain proximity of things like airports. For example, a friend was unable to fly his near the Anchorage International Airport. There was nothing he could do to make it work, it just would not fly based on it's GPS settings.

The lower cost is the reason they are getting more and more popular. Cell phone technology has made it possible to have HD live video, gps, autopilot and telemetry all for a couple hundred dollars. The larger drones often use 433mhz or 1.2ghz for longer range.
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

I am sure major airports already have active jamming of the 2.4 ghz frequency and all the near frequencies that these civilian units hop too. Im not worried about drones flyin out on alaska air lines. Even if the jammed signals say at palmer and wasilla the issue is drones flying too high in all the areas between where planes regularly fly 500 to 1000 ft such as wolf lake or any other number of small strips. My buddy was flying over wasilla proper (ie not that close to wasilla airport).

The sad thing is it will take someone getting killed before the FAA starts cracking down. Most likely the crack down will be on the people who make the drones and the replacement parts. They need to keep them hugely expensive and make batteries/replacement parts cost prohitive to anyone but seroius people.

The model plane people were never an issue, it wasent till these quad copters came out that it seemed everyone had to have one, must not be able to put a gopro on an RC helicopter or they were cost prohibitive. Maybe a tax to keep most people out of the market.
    You can hang a full size vid cam on a mid size RC heli, but it takes skill to fly said heli. The new crap thats out does not take skill to operate, the software and built in GPS autopilot keep you from crashing. We have been flying RC planes and helis in the Valley and all over the state for years. We have club rules etc that requires a "spotter" to be watching while you fly your RC to alert you to any fullsize traffic in the area. Our local club in Kenai flys within the ENA airspace and has never had a conflict with full scale traffic.

Good to know, trying to jam frequencies that far apart would be very difficult if they are frequency jumping between 433 and 1.2.

Quote Originally Posted by Grayling Slayer View Post
    The lower cost is the reason they are getting more and more popular. Cell phone technology has made it possible to have HD live video, gps, autopilot and telemetry all for a couple hundred dollars. The larger drones often use 433mhz or 1.2ghz for longer range.

Good to know, trying to jam frequencies that far apart would be very difficult if they are frequency jumping between 433 and 1.2.
    Not if you know what your doing.

All jamming devices are illegal in the US. "A single violation of the jamming prohibition can result in tens of thousands of dollars in monetary penalties, seizure of the illegal device, and imprisonment."
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

All jamming devices are illegal in the US. ."
    Not if you know what your doing.

Its kinda like the $1000 dollar fine for littering or 10,000 fine for copying a movie though. If it saves lives from irresponsible drone owners its worth it. The only FCC action was a large compnay that was selling jammers in mass quantities several years ago. I care more about my life than some drone owner that gets inconvienced or takes a small finanical loss from their irresponsibility.

If your drone does not come close to a manned aircraft that is activly jamming then you dont have to worry about it. Making passive aggressive statements about the very rare but potential fines does not solve any problems. With all the near misses reported its pretty clear drone pilots dont care about manned aircraft.

I am more interestd in the technical challenge of jamming such a wide range of frequencies with limited power on board the plane to get good range. But if no other pilots are having near misses in the mat sue area then I may not worry about it yet but I want to have one built and ready as more and more idiots buy these things and kill someone with them.

All jamming devices are illegal in the US. "A single violation of the jamming prohibition can result in tens of thousands of dollars in monetary penalties, seizure of the illegal device, and imprisonment."

I think that the FAA would have a problem with anyone using rf jamming in the vicinity of an active runway.
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast