Thread: Kodiak Spring Hunt

Default Kodiak Spring Hunt

Wife and I both got bear tags. Looking for info on hunting Sheratin Bay AND Saltery Creek areas.
    Sunrunner

Sharitin is tough. Expect small bears and people. Check the native land. Have a land use permit, that close to town they will come check you and fine you if you don't have one. I think about 1500 bucks for the permit. Kizuyak is better, still gotta have the land use
    Permit but will be less residents and more area. The guide in kizuyak might be in either place.
    Not clue on saltery.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Saltery always has a nice run of reds and silvers. Naturally attracts quite a few bears and seen a few real nice bears over the years. However It is accessible by 4 wheeler off the road system so it gets quite a bit of traffic. With all the people and traffic the bears get pretty smart and go nocturnal a lot of the time. If you choose Saltery I would go to the backside of the lake,there are no 4 wheeler trails that I recall and gets little pressure. I can envision a smart male just hanging up high there, sunning on a south facing slope, cruising for food and dropping near the lake now and again. Area has lots of alders, but open hillsides as well. Most bears killed are small ones by the townies, eager to pull the trigger on something brown. Good luck!

On Saltey Creek -- is the road usually passable in second part of April?
    ---do folks get wheelers over to Wild creek?
    i was thinking I would have to a ways back in Saltry. Isn't there a fishing lodge on that lake? Thanks for ANY info or experiences.

I was wondering about Sharatin.

I've been looking at map of Kizuyak. Appears there are two places; the creek at the head of the bay or the creek four miles before that. Pest--map's wet.

Head of the bay has a lot more room incase others are there. The valley half way down is tight and if the wind is wrong it's a waste of time.
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by Sunrunner View Post
    On Saltey Creek -- is the road usually passable in second part of April?
    ---do folks get wheelers over to Wild creek?
    i was thinking I would have to a ways back in Saltry. Isn't there a fishing lodge on that lake? Thanks for ANY info or experiences.
    Depends on the year for passibility. Probably is right now, with how much snow we have, but not sure. No wheelers to getting into wild creek, there is a wheeler trail that heads that way for a little bit but ends, not sure how far you could get on a low tide.

Yes there is a fishing lodge on the east side of the lake. There is a small trail that goes past it towards the E heading south. It peters out at the lake by the creek inlet.

Carful about Kizhuyak land ownership. There are easements and you can navigate around, but look them up and know where they are. I was hassled and ticketed one time on one. I went into the native office to dispute it and they told me to just pay the ticket first and the board will decide if I get a refund for actually being on the easement. I asked to see their detailed land ownership maps and prove I was on their land. They could not produce anything but a bogus map, ank kept saying just pay the ticket first. I walked out and nothing ever came if it.

There is also a wheeler trail with geomatting that goes toward Shartin, not sure how far it goes.

Here is the landownership map of the area.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421890902.279817.jpg

Sheritin gave up a good bear for us this spring. 28 3/8" at check-in. Died in an awkward spot though.

We didn't bring a tape, but he squared "three rifle lengths".

There is a guide in the area. He was friendly when we met him. No issues staying off Native land for us.

Yk

Yellowknife, how high were you to find that bear?

There was very little action at the beach, so we were back into the mountains a ways.

Yk

Nice bear! They have a knack for finding the low wet spots don't they!
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    Nice bear! They have a knack for finding the low wet spots don't they!
    It was one of the more interesting skinning jobs I've had. Getting him rolled over in that skinny creek was a project and a half. Not to mentioned the entire hide ended up completely soaked for the trip out. I have more respect for you bear guides now. Even after fleshing off a 5 gal bucket of fat off, drying in the sun and being under salt for three days, it still weighted an even 100 lbs on the Andrews Air scale. Nothing easy about packing those big bears out of the mountains is there?

He's now my daughters protector from things that go bump in the night. She's rather fond of him.

I bet the small bears look big to the small people!
    Sharitin is tough. Expect small bears and people. Check the native land. Have a land use permit, that close to town they will come check you and fine you if you don't have one. I think about 1500 bucks for the permit. Kizuyak is better, still gotta have the land use
    Permit but will be less residents and more area. The guide in kizuyak might be in either place.
    Not clue on saltery.

Ok that's it! Next selfie I take I'm sitting on a phone book!!
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowknife View Post
    It was one of the more interesting skinning jobs I've had.
    And you did a very good job on him, if I must say! He was almost exactly symmetrical...very hard to do on a bear of that size, especially when you can't roll him around easily. Love the picture of your daughter giving him the 'bear hug' btw. Awesome.
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Ok that's it! Next selfie I take I'm sitting on a phone book!!
    Yep, that will for sure make your butt look big. LOL

Sunrunner. What tag did you and ur wife pull? Both areas or one in each? Saltery maybe tough if we get a late snow here. Last year I had to flown in to hunt that area. Right now I think trail is still passable.

I drew the wilde creek tag last spring, spent 4 days in there the first week of May, saw two bears up high and that was it, saw several other people hunting back in hidden basin. The best part of the trip was my 67 year old Uncle catching a 50 lb White King, trolling around the Herring Seiners.
    My suggestion is to try and get in there while the snow is still low.

Robert