Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have you seen the photos of the Grizzly/Brown Bear on FLAT-TOP Mt.

Default Have you seen the photos of the Grizzly/Brown Bear on FLAT-TOP Mt.

There are some good photos of two bears on a moose kill a few weeks ago. Just below Flattop Mountain.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    There are some good photos of two bears on a moose kill a few weeks ago. Just below Flattop Mountain.
    I believe that happened in late October...... But I could be wrong.... I did see the photos though, and it looked to be a 3-4 year old bull. Wonder how that came about. Would've been fun too see.

Release Lake Trout

I had not seen them before an hour ago, got them an e-mail. Looked to be a large sow and I am guessing her two and a half year old cub. As you say, Very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    I believe that happened in late October...... But I could be wrong.... I did see the photos though, and it looked to be a 3-4 year old bull. Wonder how that came about. Would've been fun too see.

Link to Pics?

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    it looked to be a 3-4 year old bull. Wonder how that came about.
    that is what I thought as well.
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Awesome picture Ryan, always impressed with your photography skills!

Quote Originally Posted by whitepalm View Post
    Anchorage genetics are pretty weak in general, as someone who has seen a lot of these same local moose for several years consecutively I can tell you this bull has been growing a similar sized rack for at least three years. You do realize that some moose will not grow large antlers no matter how old they get right?

absolutely agree. Same for all antlered animals. Genetics, nutrition, age.... If I had seen any bull moose with about that size of antlers I would 'guess' the bull to be 3 or 4 (3.5 or 4.5). Indeed, maybe this fella you photographed is 5.5...

and there is nothing wrong with making an educated guess - certainly, I would 'guess' a vast majority of moose of that mass and size to be in the 3.5 -5.5 yr range.
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

3-4 year old bull? You dont have any idea what you are talking about. Too much variability in antler to start flapping knowledge like that.
    Why so Serious? I've been around these animals my entire life. And that is my guess, not my scientific proven fact. Lighten up man!

Release Lake Trout

Yeah, this was from back in the middle of October. I have some pics from October 18th of the two bears working on the moose. It was a few miles up Powerline Pass from the Glen Alps trailhead. Pretty cool to see. Got home and looked at the photos and saw that both bears were just staring at me in every one (just had my cheap point and shoot camera, so wasn't getting that great of shots from a distance).

The e-mail I received has 14 very nice photos........very nice. And they are NOT copyrighted. I am hoping Whitepalm will post them.

There were some nice ones posted on the "The Alaska Life" facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/TheAlaskaLife You would need to go to their photos section and scroll down a little ways from the top of the 2014 section. When I was out there, I saw a couple photographers who had been out for a couple days working on getting some good shots. I'm sure there are some great ones going around.

[QUOTE=whitepalm;1453511]There was a group of guys shooting for several days before me. I didnt go until it snowed. Last one.

ok, so now I see the 2nd brow time, that would lead me to believe it may be 4-6 years, possibly older? The other pic didn't show much detail in the antlers.
    Thanks for posting and great pics! I gotta wonder though, what led to the bulls demise? Did the sow jump him and take him herself, I know grizzlies are very capable....... Or was he injured or wore out from the rut? Mysteries.

also makes me wonder then just how old those big beasts are I see in west anchorage with 5+ brow tines on each side and 65-70+ spreads????
    Last edited by stid2677; 01-22-2015 at 00:19.

Release Lake Trout

Two brow tines has ZERO to do with it. Do you think every bull grows another brow tine every couple years? They either have it or they dont. This bull is closer to 10 I guarantee it. Thanks for the compliment, keep your mind open when it comes to the aging thing. It doesnt work like I think you think it does.
    Oh no! That's not at all what I think! I've seen big ol bulls with only 1. Seen young bulls with 2 and 3. I know it starts with genes and location, feed, stress throughout the year, population density and management, and anchorage has a bunch of different patterns that ive seen over the years. Again I'm not an expert. Please, tell me what your knowledge to the subject entails. I'd like to hear it.

Release Lake Trout

How many bears were there when you took those photos.....????

200+ days a year in the Chugach over a decade with a camera. Just trying to help.

Yikes. Those pics make me feel better about turning around while skiing a couple of years ago and running across a pair of bear tracks that were following ski tracks...or maybe the skier was following the bear tracks..not sure...but once they headed into the hemlocks I thought it best to turnaround.

Great pics by the way.

There were a good group of bull moose going at it only a mile or two down the valley from this. My guess would be that he was either injured while fighting with the other bulls (many of them were noticeably larger than this guy) or he was really worn out from the fighting.

There are several "how big is this moose" threads on here but I have not been able to find many on bears. I am new to bear hunting and would love to see more pictures of bears with some of the experienced hunters here providing opinions on their sizes. Anybody have any good pics?

Based off the thin palms and long tines I would guess this as an older bull on the downhill slide rather than a young bull. But as mentioned before some areas grow different than others.
    Awesome
    Pictures.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I will see if I can get the photos up. I can't do it, but I'll see if I can get someone to.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBC View Post
    There are several "how big is this moose" threads on here but I have not been able to find many on bears. I am new to bear hunting and would love to see more pictures of bears with some of the experienced hunters here providing opinions on their sizes. Anybody have any good pics?

Great pics!! Thanks for posting! It must be mid-winter, posts drift to weird places. I think he was 27 years old based on the shadows in the snow. Also he was probably killed originally by the sasquatch that has been seen around there and then traded to the bears.
    I have such a hard time trying to decide which outdoor activity to do every chance I get!! Living in AK is a mental challenge

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast