Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Garmin Radar

  1. #1

    Default Garmin Radar

    Got the new boat and am getting familiar with the Garmin 1040xs and 18HD radar. Question for those of you who have these units or other similiar Garmins. When I turn on the Chartplotter the radar goes into a warm up mode and I can hear it humming-based on the manual it is apparently not transmitting in this mode. Then it counts down until standby mode. Is there anyway to not have it go through the warm up mode? I've contacted Garmin but the tech who I talked to said he was from Kansas and "didn't know much about boats" and the only option was for me to put a switch on the power to the dome.... Based on the past, I figure we will actually use the radar less than 5% of the time and I'd prefer to not have it go through this every time I power up. On my previous Garmin I had to select the radar before it would go into startup. Any suggestions (and please don't recommend annother brand or model )...

    Thanks
    Ruby at the end of a good day.

  2. #2
    Moderator Daveinthebush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Valdez, Alaska
    Posts
    4,402

    Default

    Mine does the warm-up mode then stops until I hit "Transmit". Then within a few seconds it starts spinning again and I get it on the screen.

    Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

  3. #3
    Moderator bkmail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer, AK.
    Posts
    4,117

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    Mine does the warm-up mode then stops until I hit "Transmit". Then within a few seconds it starts spinning again and I get it on the screen.
    As does mine, same operation.
    Never gave it much thought though....are you trying to conserve power, or....?
    BK

  4. #4

    Default

    No power isn't an issue I'm just wondering why it should need to warm up when 95% of the time I'm probably not going to be using it. On my previous boat the Radar didn't power up until I went to the radar screen and selected transmit. Seems like unessary wear and tear on the unit especially when it's cold. Maybe I'm just over thinking this one...
    Ruby at the end of a good day.

  5. #5

    Default

    I have a separate power switch to mine so i don't even turn it on until i want to use it. I have a 5212 with a radar on one boat and a 740 with a radar on my other boat. Both of these had a separate power supply to the plotter and radar.

  6. #6

    Default

    Thanks. Not sure why Garmin has it configured like this. I did a little checking and there were complaints about this on the HullTruth back in 2010. According to the posts Garmin was supposed to reprogram the unit so it didn't go straight to warm up...
    Ruby at the end of a good day.

  7. #7
    Member akdeweyj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    574

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TriIron View Post
    Got the new boat and am getting familiar with the Garmin 1040xs and 18HD radar. Question for those of you who have these units or other similiar Garmins. When I turn on the Chartplotter the radar goes into a warm up mode and I can hear it humming-based on the manual it is apparently not transmitting in this mode. Then it counts down until standby mode. Is there anyway to not have it go through the warm up mode? I've contacted Garmin but the tech who I talked to said he was from Kansas and "didn't know much about boats" and the only option was for me to put a switch on the power to the dome.... Based on the past, I figure we will actually use the radar less than 5% of the time and I'd prefer to not have it go through this every time I power up. On my previous Garmin I had to select the radar before it would go into startup. Any suggestions (and please don't recommend annother brand or model )...

    Thanks
    Don't plug the network cable from the radome into the back of the plotter would be the easiest way to keep it from powering up.............. Then you could plug it in when you wanted to run the radar. Kind of a hassle, but its one way to make it happen.
    2007 24ft NorthRiver OS
    Twin 175 Suzuki's
    "Thunderbird"
    MMSI #338033856

  8. #8

    Default

    TriIron,
    Just wondering if you have the GMR 18HD radar?

  9. #9

    Default

    When I looked up your 1040xs on the Garmin site and checked for compatible radar units the GMR 18xHD shows up as compatible. when I choose the Garmin GMR 18HD radar and compatible units my 3010C shows but not your 1040xs. Just saying there site could be wrong.

    I am replacing my whole setup and have been looking at chart plotters and radar compatibilities. My radar went out after many years of service. I also have a switch to turn on just the radar when I want to use it.

  10. #10

    Default

    Yes I do have the Garmin 18HD radar. I guess I could unplug the radar cable but as you mentioned that is a bit of a hassle... This kinda reminds me of a lot of other technical "improvements" that we are seeing these days in autos, TVs, computers etc etc. Can I just please have the manual option (AKA the oldster button)-just a simple on/off that can be pushed when I want the radar to power up??? Apparently I'm living in the past....
    Ruby at the end of a good day.

  11. #11
    Member hoose35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Soldotna, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    2,891

    Default

    I kinda like that it warms up when I power up the unit. I think it helps avoid seizing up and breaking things. I don't think it's going to wear out from turning for a few seconds everyday.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Kenai
    Posts
    72

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TriIron View Post
    Got the new boat and am getting familiar with the Garmin 1040xs and 18HD radar. Question for those of you who have these units or other similiar Garmins. When I turn on the Chartplotter the radar goes into a warm up mode and I can hear it humming-based on the manual it is apparently not transmitting in this mode. Then it counts down until standby mode. Is there anyway to not have it go through the warm up mode? I've contacted Garmin but the tech who I talked to said he was from Kansas and "didn't know much about boats" and the only option was for me to put a switch on the power to the dome.... Based on the past, I figure we will actually use the radar less than 5% of the time and I'd prefer to not have it go through this every time I power up. On my previous Garmin I had to select the radar before it would go into startup. Any suggestions (and please don't recommend annother brand or model )...

    Thanks
    I have the 4012 with the 18HD. My radar dome does a start up as well, but as others have stated it goes to standby and wont run until you are ready to use it. I haven't found it to be an issue other than the noise of it starting.

    Just a quick question, does the 1040 have its own built in sounder or do you have to purchase it separately? The 4012 has to have a separate sounder. I purchased the GSD24 and it's the best sounder I have ever had. I can read the bottom running 30mph and reading 600' deep. I highly reccomend the newer versions that have the chirp technology if you can afford them. I work with a guy who has one and he can see the rope attached to his pots with his. There great sounders.

  13. #13
    Member hoose35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Soldotna, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    2,891

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mykle1 View Post
    I have the 4012 with the 18HD. My radar dome does a start up as well, but as others have stated it goes to standby and wont run until you are ready to use it. I haven't found it to be an issue other than the noise of it starting.

    Just a quick question, does the 1040 have its own built in sounder or do you have to purchase it separately? The 4012 has to have a separate sounder. I purchased the GSD24 and it's the best sounder I have ever had. I can read the bottom running 30mph and reading 600' deep. I highly reccomend the newer versions that have the chirp technology if you can afford them. I work with a guy who has one and he can see the rope attached to his pots with his. There great sounders.
    The 1040 does have it's own sounder
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

  14. #14

    Default

    I guess it's kinda like when I go through screening at the airport and every once in a while I run into one of the screeners who attempts to order me to stand EXACTLY where they point. I refuse to do that. I will wait and stand but will not stand EXACTLY where they point.
    For the radar, as I'm monkeying around and becoming familiar with my new chartplotter in my boat, on the trailer, in my backyard, in the middle of winter, I would prefer that the unit not warm up as I know I'm not going to turn it on. Even if a dense fog rolls in I'm pretty sure I know where all the trees, fences, rocks and other hazards are in my backyard and I can avoid them without the radar....
    Ruby at the end of a good day.

  15. #15
    Member GAredneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    459

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TriIron View Post
    Even if a dense fog rolls in I'm pretty sure I know where all the trees, fences, rocks and other hazards are in my backyard and I can avoid them without the radar....
    I guess that all depends on how much spirits you partake in!! Sometimes I feel I need that radar.

  16. #16

    Default

    Duck! I just came off a trip totaling 6 flights/airports; I didn't realize you were THAt guy!!!!
    Check out Quickwater Adventure water taxi/transport services: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Quick...37553606260978

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •