Thread: To bring or not to bring...

Default To bring or not to bring...

My family and I are planning moving to the valley this summer. The plan is to buy a 30' enclosed trailer and pull it with my GMC 2500 Duramax 4x4 truck and my wife is going to pull my 14' utility trailer with her Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4. I am trying to decide on what to bring or not to bring in the way of toys. I know I am bringing my 2010 Argo Avenger 8x8 for sure. I have a 2013 Can Am Commander 1000, but I'm thinking of selling it and buying another one when I arrive. I have looked at prices there and they seem pretty close. Plus, I worked really hard installing heat shields in order to keep the heat OUT of the cab because they generate a lot of heat. I suspect I will be needing that heat IN the cab up there. I'm really undecided about my Express 1650 camo duck boat with a 50 Hp Tohatsu 4 stroke with a tiller. I called Tohatsu yesterday to see if they have a jet kit for this motor yet. They said they should have one available in a couple of months. I know I could use it on the Kenai, but I don't know if I can justify using it a couple weeks a year JUST for that. Where else would it be safe to use this boat, with a prop or with a jet? I'm just wandering if I need to bring it or sell it and buy a more Alaskan Friendly boat like a Hewescraft or Wooldridge, or an airboat like my buddy bkmail. I know it all depends on what I will be using it for and it is hard to find an all around boat that will do everything. I eventually would like to go out on PWS fishing, shrimping, black bear, and deer hunting. I love to duck hunt. And I would love to go up the Koyukuk(or similar) in search of a monster moose one day or the Brooks Range for bou. I hope to have the opportunity to hunt everything there. Ok, I know a bunch of ya'll just chuckled a little. haha very funny He wants to hunt everything, he says! Well eventually I do. I hope to buy a non-res license and get out and put some miles under my feet. I love to strike out! The only thing, I am used to just taking off by myself. I will have to get used to going with someone else. I reckon its not safe to go too far by yourself. Especially not a greenhorn like myself. I have alot to learn and will have to start somewhere. I'm a deer, hog, turkey, duck, goose, dove, squirrel, rabbit, coon, coyote, and whatever else here in Arkansas, but I have alot to learn in AK. I've been coming to AK(to fish and vacation) for about 6 years now. I used to work on the slope, so I've seen some pretty bad weather. I work offshore in Brazil now. I'm almost finished with my private and would like to buy a plane as well. I know there is alot of knowledge and opinions in here and I look forward to hearing what you gentlemen have to say and meeting some of you when I arrive. I'm sure I left out something, but I tried to be as detailed as possible. Thanks
    "A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Well, I'll take a stab at one of your questions. Your express 1650 is a good little jon boat and would do just fine for many rivers and lakes (Little Su, Kenai, etc.) up here. Not so much for big water or in the salt, but there is enough around to keep that boat busy for a while. Plenty of boats that you would likely want to upgrade to after a while but if you already have a boat, might as well bring it. Unless of course you're already planning to upgrade to something bigger. Then sell it and get something that will give you some more versatility up here. Which boat? That's a whole other topic...

Best wishes to you and your family for a safe and drama free move.

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by agoyne View Post
    My family and I are planning moving to the valley this summer. The plan is to buy a 30' enclosed trailer and pull it with my GMC 2500 Duramax 4x4 truck and my wife is going to pull my 14' utility trailer with her Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4. I am trying to decide on what to bring or not to bring in the way of toys. I know I am bringing my 2010 Argo Avenger 8x8 for sure. I have a 2013 Can Am Commander 1000, but I'm thinking of selling it and buying another one when I arrive. I have looked at prices there and they seem pretty close. Plus, I worked really hard installing heat shields in order to keep the heat OUT of the cab because they generate a lot of heat. I suspect I will be needing that heat IN the cab up there. I'm really undecided about my Express 1650 camo duck boat with a 50 Hp Tohatsu 4 stroke with a tiller. I called Tohatsu yesterday to see if they have a jet kit for this motor yet. They said they should have one available in a couple of months. I know I could use it on the Kenai, but I don't know if I can justify using it a couple weeks a year JUST for that. Where else would it be safe to use this boat, with a prop or with a jet? I'm just wandering if I need to bring it or sell it and buy a more Alaskan Friendly boat like a Hewescraft or Wooldridge, or an airboat like my buddy bkmail. I know it all depends on what I will be using it for and it is hard to find an all around boat that will do everything. I eventually would like to go out on PWS fishing, shrimping, black bear, and deer hunting. I love to duck hunt. And I would love to go up the Koyukuk(or similar) in search of a monster moose one day or the Brooks Range for bou. I hope to have the opportunity to hunt everything there. Ok, I know a bunch of ya'll just chuckled a little. haha very funny He wants to hunt everything, he says! Well eventually I do. I hope to buy a non-res license and get out and put some miles under my feet. I love to strike out! The only thing, I am used to just taking off by myself. I will have to get used to going with someone else. I reckon its not safe to go too far by yourself. Especially not a greenhorn like myself. I have alot to learn and will have to start somewhere. I'm a deer, hog, turkey, duck, goose, dove, squirrel, rabbit, coon, coyote, and whatever else here in Arkansas, but I have alot to learn in AK. I've been coming to AK(to fish and vacation) for about 6 years now. I used to work on the slope, so I've seen some pretty bad weather. I work offshore in Brazil now. I'm almost finished with my private and would like to buy a plane as well. I know there is alot of knowledge and opinions in here and I look forward to hearing what you gentlemen have to say and meeting some of you when I arrive. I'm sure I left out something, but I tried to be as detailed as possible. Thanks
    Sounds like you have allot to look forward to. Welcome to the valley and once you get settled in stop in at Alaska Frontier Fabrication and say hi. I'm always up for share hunting and fishing stories.

Mel

I think this might need to be moved to the Relocating to Alaska threads.
    "A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

I guess I'll figure it out! Like I always do! Thanks

Sounds like you're setup nicely for AK adventures. A jet kit is a good idea, there are a ton of small rivers to travel with a small jon boat with a jet.

Sounds like you have summer toys dialed, but you'll need some winter toys. Snowmachine is a must. And look into winter tents to go with it.