Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Johnstone Resigns

And it sounds like Maw may be taking his spot... Now that's Irony.

And Doc I prefer PBR to champagne. It leaves room in the budget for my Clarion subscription. Cold beer tonight though. Must be that clear sky.

Maw's appointment to the board by the governor speaks volumes to the governor's understanding of the Board process, and the direction he would like management of state fisheries to go in. It seems to be a very adversarial move against the board, who voted unanimously against putting Maw into the leadership position of the state ADF&G. Will be interesting to see how the legislative vetting process goes.

Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    Maw's appointment to the board by the governor speaks volumes to the governor's understanding of the Board process, and the direction he would like management of state fisheries to go in. It seems to be a very adversarial move against the board, who voted unanimously against putting Maw into the leadership position of the state ADF&G. Will be interesting to see how the legislative vetting process goes.
    I doubt that Dr. Maw will make it through the legislative process. But I think our Governor has sent a clear message to the board that it is time for a change in the way they have been operating. KUDOS GOV. WALKER!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by smithtb View Post

And Doc I prefer PBR to champagne. It leaves room in the budget for my Clarion subscription. Cold beer tonight though.
    This one's still free...

http://www.adn.com/article/20150120/...-board-members
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

I am not so sure that the way our new Governor is doing his job any one in the legislature would be wanting to be the one to say no on this. It may cost more then a Penny! Keep up the good work Governor Walker!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    I doubt that Dr. Maw will make it through the legislative process. But I think our Governor has sent a clear message to the board that it is time for a change in the way they have been operating. KUDOS GOV. WALKER!!!!

Well, my representatives will hear from me to Not confirm Maw. I don't see him as a good cross section of the average cook inlet stake holder.

Why do you feel that way? Is it because he knows to much about what it would take to save the Kenai Kings, and keep other runs healthy for all user groups. Or is it that you just don't like the way he dresses.

I could see Maw's appointment following the same course as Palin's appointment of Brent Johnson. Both qualified but it stacks the Board with 4 commercial interests, leaving 2 sport, and 1 subsistence. That is going to be the rub with the confirmation.

I am sure that DR Maw sport fishes too. I would look at him more in a Biologist position on the board, and that is what has been missing. I would not be sure that changes to the board are over yet. More may be stepping down after more investigation into the boards actions.

Quote Originally Posted by MGH55 View Post
    Why do you feel that way? Is it because he knows to much about what it would take to save the Kenai Kings, and keep other runs healthy for all user groups. Or is it that you just don't like the way he dresses.
    It's people like you and your comments that turn people away from this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by penguin View Post
    I could see Maw's appointment following the same course as Palin's appointment of Brent Johnson. Both qualified but it stacks the Board with 4 commercial interests, leaving 2 sport, and 1 subsistence. That is going to be the rub with the confirmation.
    This is the problem with politics, nothing ever gets done because there are so many players involved and no one can agree on anything. It's always I'll scratch your back if you scratch mine. Having boards is a great idea, but things are just too big. A select few need to be decision makers, and if they fail, then they are replaced.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

I am sure some will fight Dr. Maw but I doubt the Governor made this appointment without seeking council from the Senate President and House Speaker on whether he can be confirmed. I bet the Governor has their pledge to get the confirmation through. Some in the Legislature did not like those who stopped Webster and Johnson so maybe a backlash against that type of character assassination is coming.

Bottom line is that the Gov is replacing BOF members when he has the chance and I assume a new BOF will be in place by the time UCI rolls around again.

Relative to Dr. Maw qualifications he is more than qualified. He has extensive experience fishing in PWS and UCI, he is a trained biologist, he has been on the International Salmon Commission, and it will be hard for the Legislature to not confirm him. It will cost them with the new Gov to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerka View Post
    I am sure some will fight Dr. Maw but I doubt the Governor made this appointment without seeking council from the Senate President and House Speaker on whether he can be confirmed. I bet the Governor has their pledge to get the confirmation through. Some in the Legislature did not like those who stopped Webster and Johnson so maybe a backlash against that type of character assassination is coming.

Bottom line is that the Gov is replacing BOF members when he has the chance and I assume a new BOF will be in place by the time UCI rolls around again.

Relative to Dr. Maw qualifications he is more than qualified. He has extensive experience fishing in PWS and UCI, he is a trained biologist, he has been on the International Salmon Commission, and it will be hard for the Legislature to not confirm him. It will cost them with the new Gov to do so.
    You forgot he is Executive Director of United Cook Inlet Drift Association, and Dr. Maw said, "I am the Executive Director of the United Cook Inlet Drift Association, Inc. ("UCIDA"), a for-profit-organization that represents the economic, political, social, and legal interests of the commercial salmon driftnet fishing fleet in the Upper Cook Inlet area."

His organization (UCIDA) also has a lawsuit in Federal court that, if successful will, according to Lance Nelson, Senior Assistant Attorney General, Alaska Department of Law, would:

"If the lawsuit is successful and the requested relief is granted, it would vacate
    Amendment 12 and require that a federal FMP be put in place in Cook Inlet that would
    involve federal agency oversight and ultimate control over commercial salmon fishing in
    the EEZ waters of lower Cook Inlet. This would be a change from the status quo in place
    since statehood and shift a significant amount of control from the state to the federal
    government, a result in direct conflict with a primary goal of statehood: the desire of the
    people of Alaska to manage their own resources.
    "

For reference:
    "FMP" Fisheries Management Plan
    "EEZ" Exculusive Economic Zone 3-10 miles off shore

Quote Originally Posted by yukon View Post
    You forgot he is Executive Director of United Cook Inlet Drift Association, and Dr. Maw said, "I am the Executive Director of the United Cook Inlet Drift Association, Inc. ("UCIDA"), a for-profit-organization that represents the economic, political, social, and legal interests of the commercial salmon driftnet fishing fleet in the Upper Cook Inlet area."

His organization (UCIDA) also has a lawsuit in Federal court that, if successful will, according to Lance Nelson, Senior Assistant Attorney General, Alaska Department of Law, would:

"If the lawsuit is successful and the requested relief is granted, it would vacate
    Amendment 12 and require that a federal FMP be put in place in Cook Inlet that would
    involve federal agency oversight and ultimate control over commercial salmon fishing in
    the EEZ waters of lower Cook Inlet. This would be a change from the status quo in place
    since statehood and shift a significant amount of control from the state to the federal
    government, a result in direct conflict with a primary goal of statehood: the desire of the
    people of Alaska to manage their own resources.
    "

For reference:
    "FMP" Fisheries Management Plan
    "EEZ" Exculusive Economic Zone 3-10 miles off shore
    Yukon you cannot be that obtuse. Dr. Maw quit as executive director of UCIDA three months ago. No longer has that position. He also being independent of the organization is no longer associated with the law suit in any official capacity. You should know this from reading the paper.

You also continue to represent his personal position with UCIDA and that is not only incorrect it but you also keep repeating a position that has no defense given the briefs filed in the case. But for your information once more - the Federal Gov has jurisdiction in the federal waters of UCI because there is a large section of the inlet that is federal waters. They have had control for decades and have written an Fishery Management Plan for those waters. So get you act together and read the documents and history of the case and you may change your ill -informed position. Also, if you recall our Gov sued the State over misdeeds 7 times so suing the State is the right of every citizen of the State. It is called being an active citizen.

Dr. Maw right now is just a citizen of this State and has expertise in a variety of areas. He is no different than other Board members - end of story. But I am sure you and others will try to do character assassination but this Gov will not let you get away with it. He has sent a message here and that is KRSA and others are not in controll of the process.

Quote Originally Posted by yukon View Post

You do realize you quoted Maw telling the truth... Most people dig that sort of thing...

Is it that hard to have an open mind about Dr Maw? He knows that with healthy salmon runs it is good for all user groups. If you have never given the man a chance, because of what others have said about him you are being led down the wrong road. Sorry if asking you why you feel the way you do about someone you know very little about has upset you.

Quote Originally Posted by SkwentnaMan View Post
    It's people like you and your comments that turn people away from this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by SkwentnaMan View Post
    Well, my representatives will hear from me to Not confirm Maw. I don't see him as a good cross section of the average cook inlet stake holder.
    A person on the Board of Fish doesn't need to be representing a cross section of stake holders. They need to be representing the resource. Dr. Maw is qualified to do that.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

I love this appointment. It's a shot across the bow of this messed up BOF. The other Board members would be wise to take note that Gov. Walker isn't going to suffer fools lightly. If they refuse to do their jobs and try to push their political agenda, they will be removed and replaced.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Who will next to resign? At least Johnstone walked out head high and pockets full of owed favors. Kenai classic for life.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast