Thread: Question on bear hunting

Default Question on bear hunting

I have been bear baiting this year since the end of April, however it seems like now the bears are in action and there are tracks everywhere, However this year i have become more selective since I have two black bears already, well this year i have a permit to hunt griz over bait, preferably with my bow, well today i saw tracks from several different bears, but one set of prints really stood out, I measured the pad and it was at 9" but being that it was in the mud, which makes them look bigger, I would say more like 8.5" or so, and I was told from someone that the size of the pad determines the length of the bear, tell me if this is true. I just can't see interior griz this big, although i have heard stories from several folks down in Chicken. My second question is why is it so hard to get griz to come into my bait, when i go in, my bait drums are 50 yards from the tree i strapped them to and the whole place is tore up,and I'm a nervous wreck getting the barrel back also, they won't come in when I'm there, but the black bears do...I could pattern a black bear sow with 3 new cubs but now shes gone...think this griz ran her out...K

Have you tried doing a honey burn?

I baited for griz this spring also, but I think we went in to early. A few bears that did alot of sniffing and showed interest but just walked on. We had 4 bait stations (you are aloowed upto 10), with all different kinds of baits. We were also in there when the cows started dropping.

It was fun but its a whole nuther ball game than with black bears. Hopefully the same program is still in effect next year cuz I will be out there again, but doing things a bit different.

As for size, there are some big ones in there off the taylor.

Kaha, my grandpa guided up here through the 40s. He did say you could estimate a bears squared size by measuring across the front footprint. 1 foot per inch was his belief. However, he also said some small bears have big feet, and some big bears have smallish feet.

I worked for an outfit in the interior and their method was to measure length-wise on the front print and multiply by 1.5 the inches in squared feet.

My personal technique involves how much my retinas expand when I see the track. If they go from "." to "O" I assume there is a big bear in the area.

If your track is fresh, and you're measuring across the front foot, I'd say you have something to work.

As for it not coming in while you're there..... there are reasons big animals get big IMHO.

[quote=SoggyMountain;113305]Kaha,

"My personal technique involves how much my retinas expand when I see the track. If they go from "." to "O" I assume there is a big bear in the area."

That's funny.
    Never give a gun to a duck...

Default make sure...

Kaha,

One thing I found out that grizz don't pattern too well. The wind will be VERY important. If it is blowing in towards the bait, they realistically won't come in. Another thing they may do, and have seen this with blacks is they may circle back on your trail that you walked in on first. If they scent you, they aren't coming in. I didn't bait up there this spring, but probably will next spring and will be searching for the "perfect" spot this summer. PM me if you need any help. I live here in Tok. I'll buy you a beer.

Northway

Northway, I know I should be up in Tok next month, it would be great to hook up with you (and anybody else in the area), maybe grab a beer at the lodge or something. I gotta make my buddy fall off the wagon one last time before he moves outside...<grins>

Joel

Default send pm

Blink,

Send a pm when you are heading up. I will be on the black continent for the last part of July.

Just curious as to what it takes to get a permit to take a brownie over bait. I have been on a stand in the past and have seen some very nice brown bear, but had to just watch them. Any help would be appriciated.
    Thanks

Bryan, the only place that I know of where you can legally hunt a griz over bait is in 20E. Not sure of any other predator control areas that allow baiting for griz. If you want to try it off the taylor highway, all you need is a hunting license and hit fins and feathers in Tok, probably also fairbanks and delta but not sure.

only can get that griz over bait permit in Tok, got mine from fish and game....but time is running out, only got until 30th of June...I believe they are starting to rub...might as well wait 'til next year....K