Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Back, with a better plan(hopefully)

Default Back, with a better plan(hopefully)

Hey ya'll, after just under a year since my first post, I'm back on the forums. I have managed to do some research and I think I have a better plan for moving up now. I am still collecting Earthship supplies, and I have been looking at Prince of Wales Island. If my research is correct, I believe that is on the marine highway system. I figure I'll start off there, and work toward living in the bush...if I still end up going that route. I swear, I never thought it would take this long to fulfill this dream. Anyway, just wanted to give ya'll an update. Feel free to comment.

Congrats on being closer to your dream!

For those of us who are not familiar with your previous posts... would you kindly explain why you're collecting items for an earthship if you plan on living on POW and eventually in the bush?

I would think living on the road system would be necessary for this form of housing.
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Quote Originally Posted by akiceman25 View Post
    Congrats on being closer to your dream!

For those of us who are not familiar with your previous posts... would you kindly explain why you're collecting items for an earthship if you plan on living on POW and eventually in the bush?

I would think living on the road system would be necessary for this form of housing.
    My ultimate goal is to get away from it all, to the extreme. And an Earthship is self contained, collects rainwater, generates power, and hopefully grows veggies. I'm collecting supplies, mainly just to save on building costs.

Could you kindly explain what an Earthship is...and what kind of supplies are being collected for it?

Looks like you answered while I was asking.
    "Grin and Bear It"

Oops, sorry. An Earthship is a building made of recycled materials(earth rammed tires, cans, and bottles), that has fully contained water, electric, sewage, and food systems. http://earthship.com/ I have checked with the company, and they assured me that they have built in Alaska.

That's a spendy endeavor for sure. Best of luck....
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Hate to rain on your parade Sir, but you're gonna find the costs associated with transporting those items off of the road system to be huge.

You'll need to decide which is more important. Living in a earthship? Or living in the bush?

I don't see how, without a nearly bottomless wallet, both of these are achievable at the same time.

Not trying to troll or anything, but according to one of my previous threads, the best way to ship bottles and cans would be to pack them in shipping containers and ship either by rail or truck to the docks in Tacoma. From there by barge to the docks in LosAnchorage. Form there you can hire a Sikorsky helicopter to haul your shipping containers directly to your selected building site in the bush. Pretty straightforward, really.

Quote Originally Posted by hippyman View Post
    Not trying to troll or anything, but according to one of my previous threads, the best way to ship bottles and cans would be to pack them in shipping containers and ship either by rail or truck to the docks in Tacoma. From there by barge to the docks in LosAnchorage. Form there you can hire a Sikorsky helicopter to haul your shipping containers directly to your selected building site in the bush. Pretty straightforward, really.

Slingloads ain't cheap, and your initial post on this thread stated POW Island. You aren't gonna find any Anchoragua outfit that will chopper a conex from hither to yon. I sincerely wish you luck, and hope that your bank account is at least in the 7 figure range.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.

Last I checked, doesn't POW have a road system, and on the marine highway system?

If you are set on an "earthship" for the sake of having one, and can afford it, then that is one thing. I was not impressed with "earthship" living, and that was in the sunny desert of AZ. I have toured the "earthships" subdivision, and I would not find that to be very enjoyable living arrangement and alot of work/maintenance, especially in SE Alaska!!

Speaking of straightforward: Cabins, woodstoves, water jugs and honey buckets/outhouses. Everything else is just an unnecessary complication!

Best of luck however you decide to go!

Quote Originally Posted by hippyman
    Last I checked, doesn't POW have a road system, and on the marine highway system?

Yes and yes. Unfortunately you're following in what are, to many of us, familiar footsteps, hence the pessimism.

Be interesting to see how this unfolds.

It does. But you mentioned you'd live on POW first then possibly moving to the bush.

May I throw an alternate plan for you that is possibly more viable? Instead of paying to transport your recyclables to Alaska... you might consider acquiring a plot of land within a reasonable road distance from any of Alaska's large cities(Anchorage). From there you can find what you need for your earthship and transport it cost effectively. Believe me, Alaskans generate enough trash that you'd find usable.

Just a thought...

Quote Originally Posted by akiceman25 View Post
    It does. But you mentioned you'd live on POW first then possibly moving to the bush.

May I throw an alternate plan for you that is possibly more viable? Instead of paying to transport your recyclables to Alaska... you might consider acquiring a plot of land within a reasonable road distance from any of Alaska's large cities(Anchorage). From there you can find what you need for your earthship and transport it cost effectively. Believe me, Alaskans generate enough trash that you'd find usable.

Just a thought...
    I have been thinking about this. How far were you thinking from the city? I know Anchorage itself would be way too crowded for me.

Have you priced a skycrane lately?
    I don't know if their is one around POW.
    But if you can find one my best guess is It's going to cost you ~$15,000 an hour.
    Add that to your connex shipping costs and you have one expensive home.
    And if your short on materials you may be screwed.
    The road system idea is a much better plan.
    Just curious but has anybody seen a earthship anywhere in Alaska?
    They tried dome homes here on the Peninsula years ago. There is a good reason there's only two of them here.
    I rented one for awhile.
    Anyway there is probably a reason there are earthhomes in the desert but not here.
    But maybe I've just never seen one.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

lol...you need to do some more research. Prices to use the barge, the schedule, the road system, the bush...

Seriously, If you have been researching for a year and haven't determined these basics, you may want to delay your move for a while.

Also as far as helicopters, I live in the bush and the cost to get a helicopter to me (350 miles from Anchorage) was more than I was willing to able to spend.

Using the barge is a better option for me. Even the barge is expensive.

LOGGING roads for the most part, I would suggest you actually visit this place prior to making all these seemingly extravagant plans, and pardon me if you already have and I failed to see that post.
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Default Ferry system

Actually, POW is serviced by the Inter-Island ferry system which is not part is the Alaska Marine Highway but it accomplishes the same thing.

I have been thinking about this. How far were you thinking from the city? I know Anchorage itself would be way too crowded for me.
    Just a couple hours any direction would probably suffice in your case. Far enough to feel alone yet close enough to have some modern conveniences.

Have you been to Alaska? Might consider a visit.. may help nail down some possibilities for yourself.

I'm not sure you're going to find much 'bush' on POW to build an earth ship. Most of the land on POW (and southeast) is Federal Tongass National Forest Land, and most of what's left other than Federal land on POW is privately owned native land. You will have to purchase land to be able to build on POW, which if you haven't already looked into it; isn't exactly cheap.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast