Thread: Carrying a loaded ML

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Default Carrying a loaded ML

When you're packin around your TRADITIONAL ML, as I did today, LOADED, do you Cap it?

Normally when I shoot the thing, I don't cap it until I'm ready to fire, BUT, that doesn't make for a very fast shot. When you're carrying your rifle through the swamps as I was doin today.

You see, I dunno if all them bars are sleepin, yet, or with this warm weather some of'em mighta woke up. BTW, the Psy Willows started budding out.

I don't like to rest the hammer on the cap, so I have it at half-cock, and when I do that, the cap will come OFF. I'm thinking if the hammer is resting on it with spring tension, a jolt or a jar, could conceivably set it off. Probably, this wouldn't happen, but I don't know that.

I'm considering ways to keep the cap ON. What are the options for a solution for this?

I've considered a couple that I can think of. Somewhere, I have these little rings, I got from CVA a long time ago and never used. they go around the cap and the nipple, and are spose to hold it on. I dunno how well they work since I've never tried them.

Another Idea is something in betwixt the hammer and cap. Spose I have a narrow strip of leather fastened to the trigger guard somewhere, and put that on top of the primer on the nipple, and let the hammer down on THAT.

When ready to shoot, I cock the hammer, and the leather will fall away or I'll take it away, and I can make it go boom.

Sounds like a brilliant idea, but I want to run it by someone who has dealt with the issue.

Thanks for your thoughts and experiences
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Here ya go. You could fashion your own version, but this one is easiest.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Here ya go. You could fashion your own version, but this one is easiest.

Thanks BB:

That looks like a good option for Tree Stands.

I'm hopin my idee works better for my purposes, but I'll hafta try it, to see.

SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

I'm a flintlock shooter but Brown Bear's suggestion looks best to me. I've seen guns slip off of half cock. Having the hammer down on a loaded cap even with a piece of leather between them can still allow a jar to set the cap off simply from pressure on top of the cap. This rubber gaskets may hold the cap on the nipple as well as provide some rain protection but it does nothing to keep the hammer from hitting the cap. With that device in Brown Bear's link, it prevents the hammer from striking the cap since there is some space between the cup and the cap. Just my thoughts, do with them as you will.

Quote Originally Posted by Muskeg_Stomper View Post
    I'm a flintlock shooter but Brown Bear's suggestion looks best to me. I've seen guns slip off of half cock. Having the hammer down on a loaded cap even with a piece of leather between them can still allow a jar to set the cap off simply from pressure on top of the cap. This rubber gaskets may hold the cap on the nipple as well as provide some rain protection but it does nothing to keep the hammer from hitting the cap. With that device in Brown Bear's link, it prevents the hammer from striking the cap since there is some space between the cup and the cap. Just my thoughts, do with them as you will.
    Hmm, you may be right.

Thanks
    Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Go to the hardware or hobby store and buy some brass tube just a little bigger inside dia than your cap and cut some pieces a little longer than needed to keep the cap from sticking out. Put one over the capped nipple and let the hammer hold it in place. You should be able to make a bunch for a couple of bucks. Or if you want, I can make you a fancy one like BB shows. After seeing that, I think I'll make a couple for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    That looks like a good option for Tree Stands.
    Maybe so, but I've never been in a tree stand. They're fine for walking around.

If you can find them, the best alternative is a fired 32 ACP case since it's sealed at the top against rain. I still have a few of them around, but moved on to the October Country version when my supply started running low. Lots easier to come up with OC's device, and maybe cheaper in the long run if you don't have a ready supply of the cases.

.32 case would be good. I used a 22 case over the nipple so that my kids could dry fire when I was teaching them to shoot.

OK, Guys:

I'll probably try the "October Country", and I may have a 32 ACP, in my collection, but I have concern about such devices.

First of all, you have to take it off, and my leather idea, should FALL off when the hammer is cocked, and a flip of the finger could move it outta the way. I've got them on the rifle, and on 1 pistol.

They WORK, but I dunno if they offer enough safety.

Second, I wonder if the cap would get knocked off when I take that cover off.

Great Ideas, I'm gittin from you folks. I'm glad I asked.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Second, I wonder if the cap would get knocked off when I take that cover off.
    Best thing is to get out and try it with your gun. Every gun and every guy is different. I use the leather, but only on a bare nipple to keep moisture out when the gun is not capped.

OK, BB, and ALL:

NOW, I'm CONVINCED.

I fired a primer with the leather over it. The leather was thin, but I'm thinking a thicker, stiffer, piece of leather would fire even more easily.

Granted, the firing was from full Cock, and trigger pull, and that's not like having JUST THE PRESSURE of the hammer spring on the primer, but as I said before.....

I found a 32 ACP case but it fits too loosely for me. I'll try the October Country thingy.

I would not have thought, (Before Trying) that a Hammer Blow would have fired the cap, through the cushioning of the leather.

I'm glad I broached the question.

Thanks to ALL responders.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

[QUOTE=Smitty of the North;1453244]When you're packin around your TRADITIONAL ML, as I did today, LOADED, do you Cap it?

Yes I do.
    I always carry it capped and the hammer down when actively hunting. Just watch where you are pointing it.

[QUOTE=sharps5090;1455015]
    When you're packin around your TRADITIONAL ML, as I did today, LOADED, do you Cap it?

Yes I do.
    I always carry it capped and the hammer down when actively hunting. Just watch where you are pointing it.
    One of the reasons why I'm concerned, is that I tied a sling on the rifle, and sometimes I carry it that way.

Well, I found 32 ACP case and decapped it, put a string through the primer hole, and knotted it so's wouldn't come out, then tied the string to the trigger guard.

It fits pretty loosely over the cap and nipple, but it stays put with the hammer down on it. Maybe the fit will keep the cap from getting knocked off when I remove it, to shoot. BUT, I'm gonna try some cotton in the case, to keep the primer from falling off.

I guess, it will work.

I'm gonna find out, next chance I have to pack it around.

Thanks All
    Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Just put a tiny bit of silicone around the sides of the nipple before capping. It will not only glue it on but should seal it against weather as well.

[QUOTE=Smitty of the North;1456108]
    Quote Originally Posted by sharps5090 View Post

One of the reasons why I'm concerned, is that I tied a sling on the rifle, and sometimes I carry it that way.

Well, I found 32 ACP case and decapped it, put a string through the primer hole, and knotted it so's wouldn't come out, then tied the string to the trigger guard.

It fits pretty loosely over the cap and nipple, but it stays put with the hammer down on it. Maybe the fit will keep the cap from getting knocked off when I remove it, to shoot. BUT, I'm gonna try some cotton in the case, to keep the primer from falling off.

I guess, it will work.

I'm gonna find out, next chance I have to pack it around.

Thanks All
    Smitty of the North
    THAT didn't work well either.

SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    Just put a tiny bit of silicone around the sides of the nipple before capping. It will not only glue it on but should seal it against weather as well.
    I shall try that. I was thinking of some kinda glue.

Thanks
    SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

OK, here is the latest on my issue.

I was told by a friend that the nipple should stay on by itself, but of course I KNEW it wouldn't.

However, in considering this, I remembered that the caps DID stick when they were DIRTY from firing.

The last time I packed my ML, I snapped a cap before I loaded it, something I do sometimes anyway, and after loading it the cap stayed on reliably for the end of my hike. I had been trying to keep a nipple on a CLEAN nipple.

That seems like a shamefully simple solution, after I went and made such a beeg
    deel of this.

Oh Wal, THANKS AGAIN to everyone who tried to help, and my apologies for misleading.

SOTN
    You can't out-give God.