Thread: Jet boat advice....

Default Jet boat advice....

Just looking for some advice/suggestions; I curently have a 20' Sprint ((Big lake Bob) 52" at bottom of transom) and am torn between repowering it with a ETEC 150 H.O. or purchasing a used inboard (Woolridge or similar) boat. The cost of the ETEC is about $18,000 installed with a 7 year warranty. Im just second guessing my decision because I can buy a really nice inboard wooldridge for a comparable price to the new outboard. I do have a 30' fiberform so, this boat will only be for weekend fishing trips, Moose, and spring bear hunting. Also, my current boat is rated at a 150 hp prop/195 jet and weighs approximately ~800lbs.

Thank you in advance for helping me weigh this decision!!

-Jeremy

You can probably find a decent used IB for close to the same money to repower. I would be tempted to go that route before I spent 18-20 K.
    I also like the Sprint Marine boats, thought they were pretty cool.
    If just used occasionally, then why not a used motor....?

This is a long shaft, and will require the transom to be raised, which is not all bad..http://juneau.craigslist.org/boa/4820060052.html
    I dont know anything about this particular motor, however I do have some time in with a Johnson/Suzuki DF140 and they are quiet and efficient OB's
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

i would be hard pressed to put that much $$$ into a repower when you could buy a nice used inboard for 3-4000 more. I can drop a new crate motor with carb, intake, valves the whole 9 yard for $5,000 from the factory..... IMO I would have to think long and hard on a 18,000 repower if i already had an ocean boat
    2005 20' Weldcraft Sabre XL 350 MP
    SD309 AT
    2009 Polaris Dragon 800 163
    Custom Mod's

18k seems like a lot. You shop around?

I shopped around a little. I really liked the Etecs & it's pretty hard to beat the 7 year warranty with no required maintenance for 300 hrs. Regardless, I decided to buy a friends 18' Almar lite. It has a rebuilt Hamilton 772, with a 302. I quoted an upgrade to 3 stage, and will also convert it to EFI.

Im really not excited about buying anything used unless I know the person that owned it before me.

Some one had a 212 Hamilton on craigs list the other day that would be a better unit than a 772,

Congrats!!! Always a plus buying from folks you know
    2005 20' Weldcraft Sabre XL 350 MP
    SD309 AT
    2009 Polaris Dragon 800 163
    Custom Mod's