Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shootgun Questions

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Default Shootgun Questions

There exists a Bewildering Array of shotguns available. I did some looking at manufacturer sites, but didn't see anything that attracted my fancy. I know that there are folks here on the Forum that use/carry a shootgun for bothersome bears.

What is the best Pump, or Auto, shotgun/slug gun for Bear Defense, IYO, what you decided on yourself?

Is Mossberg the only Brand that has the Safety on the Tang? (This is something I like.)

What length barrel is needed, for such an endeavor? (I don't like Pistol Grips, Porting, any kind of tactical lookin stuff on the muzzle.)

(I envision a rather short barrel, with a vented rib, on top, and Iron sights that are adjustable.)

(I assume, I'm talking about a Rifled Barrel, that is designed to shoot SaBots.)

I would want a SLING.

What's out there to fill that bill? Am I trying to fill the wrong bill?

Thanks
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

There are a bewildering array of shotguns Smitty. The one that I had that most closely resembles what you're talking about was a Benelli Nova "Tactical"... 18.5" barrel with a good set of adjustable ghost ring sights. Pretty solid piece.

I've had Remingtons, Mossbergs, Benellis, a couple of Winchesters...if there's a bad choice out there, I'm not sure what it is.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    What is the best Pump, or Auto, shotgun/slug gun for Bear Defense, IYO, what you decided on yourself?
    Mossberg 590 Mariner was my choice 15 or 20(?) years ago. It has proven a robust, reliable pump gun, and if I had it to do all over again I'd make the same choice.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Not too many bad choices out there.

I have four like your talking about:

Benelli Nova Tactical: very good in all respects but it seems to have noticeably more recoil than the others. Gonna sell it.

Vang 870 Tac: Wonderful shotgun. ghost ring sights.... compensated...side saddle for shells...very pleasant to shoot... accurate

Vang Mossberg 590A1: Another great gun , similar to the Vang 870 ....Sleeps under the bed.

Mossberg 930: wonderful.... not much kick... has been perfectly reliable.... may be my favorite. Much faster than a pump at putting buckshot downrange.

All the best,

Slim

I've been reading, but not posting, on OTHER forums, and checking websites to get an idea of the options.

IO: I check on the 590 Mariner. (I like the Safety) Maybe, that one could work for me. ??

Hodge: I will check on that too. (Never cared for a Safety on the trigger guard.) (But, maybe not carry a round in the chamber. I don't with my rifles.)

OK, they are both Cylinder Bore, so I assume, not for Sabots, or are they?

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

I personally like the Remington 870. The 870 has a very smooth action and is stout. Mine carries a custom cut/crowned 18.75" vented barrel. An oversize safety can make a big difference in the quickness of operation. There are plenty of reliable auto-loaders out there it really just boils down to what you want to spend.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

OK, they are both Cylinder Bore, so I assume, not for Sabots, or are they?
    Sabots are likely more accurate from a rifled bore, but there's nothing precluding them being used in a smooth bore. I prefer Brenneke's tho, so the Mariner works great for me. And it has been virtually maintenance free for close to 25 years (I've had it longer than I originally remembered). As far as safeties, FWIW, I never use it; chamber stays empty, safety off...
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    #Resist

I'm another chamber stays empty guy. I just make sure I dry fire my 870 before I load it so that it's ready to pump without hitting the release. I've been carrying the same 870 Police magnum for 25 years now. It's a good reliable pump gun that isn't too unwieldy with it's 20" barrel.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Sabots are likely more accurate from a rifled bore, but there's nothing precluding them being used in a smooth bore. I prefer Brenneke's tho, so the Mariner works great for me. And it has been virtually maintenance free for close to 25 years (I've had it longer than I originally remembered). As far as safeties, FWIW, I never use it; chamber stays empty, safety off...
    I used to hunt iwth a rifled choke tube in a short 870 for deer 15 years ago......shot 4 inches at 5 over open sights and I could hit a pie plate up to about 90 yards....very effective if one wanted to not worry about the rifled barrel and still shoot sabots accurately at range.

AKDoug, I carry mine the same, way, nothing to forget when the SHTF just rack and roll. Its the way I carry all my guns when hunting or for protection.

Remington 870 express magnum shurshot turkey with a 20 inch barrel. I have truglow sights with a sling. This will give you a choice of chokes, from rifled to extra full. Accuracy from my 1989 is great out to 75, good at 100, and ok at 125. After that pray. Best with Remington sluggers. Everything else opens up bigger groups. The winchester supreme 385's at 2000 fps are the exception.
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

...a vented rib, on top, and Iron sights that are adjustable....
    Unless I'm really out of touch (likely, since I haven't bought in a few years), you won't get both a rib and adjustable sights on the same barrel.

Only reason I haven't bought in a long, long time is the Mossberg 500 I bought over 30 years ago. It came with both a 20-inch "slug" barrel with open adjustable sights and a 28" ribbed barrel and chokes for not much money. Just swap them out, depending on what I'm doing.

There's not a speck of bluing left on that old gun and darned little varnish on the stock these days, but it hasn't malfunctioned in many thousands of shots. Talk about reliable, which isn't something you can say about most really cheap guns. Yeah, I could spruce it up again, but there's no point when I use it as a skiff gun in saltwater and a truck gun on rough roads. It would look the same again within a year, but I bet it would still go on functioning without a hitch.

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Agree. Also problem with vent ribs is they catch every little twig you pass through and with sights on top it equal to useing high rings for a scope, it screws with cheek weld to line up.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Agree. Also problem with vent ribs is they catch every little twig you pass through and with sights on top it equal to useing high rings for a scope, it screws with cheek weld to line up.
    I'm glad I never had those issues.
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

I have and carry a 500 with an 18.5 and a 590 with a 20, I like them both, the 590 holds 8 in the magazine, the 500 only 5. I carry the 500 the most. I use brennekes to, at bear defense range sights and rifling are not important to me, I have no trouble hitting a pie plate at 15 yards without sights. I had a ghost ring on my 590 and didn't like it.

I really like the safety on the mossberg but I hate the slide release.

I really like the slide release on the 870 the safety is OK but the stock just doesn't fit me as well as the mossberg.

I'm sure the others mentioned above are great options too, I have no experience with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Troopers and F&G all use Rem 870s with 18.5 or 20" barrels. Mine is the same, with a smoothbore and rifle sights, that way I can slip in some birdshot just in case :thumbsup:

Quote Originally Posted by ak_cowboy View Post
    Troopers and F&G all use Rem 870s...
    DOF and BLM too.
    #Resist

Thats because in 1980 the 870's were sold to any law enforcement for $50.00 a pop.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Unless I'm really out of touch (likely, since I haven't bought in a few years), you won't get both a rib and adjustable sights on the same barrel.
    Yeah, I gather that is the case, but I didn't know it when I asked the questions.

Looks like most, at least, of these slug guns are cylinder Bore, short barrels, with sights OR a bead, and if rifling is needed, a nother barrel is needed.

I've got a better handle on what 's available, now.

Thanks All
    SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

Lots of those $50 870s are still running round after round down range with out issues. We use the 870 at work (DOC) and some of our guns have been around for quite a while. The guns that are used for training have more rounds through them than most would believe, almost all are either slugs or buckshot. Very solid gun that is easy to use, fast and very reliable with a bunch of accessories available. I'm not downing other choices as I am not very familiar with most others, but the 870 is a very good defense shotgun.

I'm partial to the 870 myself. I have several Express magnums in 12ga and I really like the idea of being able to easily change barrels or magazine capacity to suit the situation. You can do it on a Mossberg, but the mag tube is not open ended like a Remington hence you will need to change out both the tube and barrel if you want more capacity from a standard 5 shot. Just my personal preference I guess.
    I have my everyday gun set up with a 20inch smoothbore slug barrel with rifle sights and standard magazine tube. It happens to be an IMP CYL choke so I get a little bit of a pattern with buck and it patterns quite nice with #2 steel shot which I happen to use to take bunnies and grouse quite often.
    I also bought the Remington synthetic thumbhole stock set they call the "Sure Shot" stock. I made the change about 4 years ago and I couldn't be happier. Easily points and gets on target and allows me to use one hand to fire the gun if need be.. I also get the drop on ducks a bit faster with it too. Just something to consider.
    I use Brenneke slugs for the big furry critters.

Mountaintrekker

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast