Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Extra long downrigger booms....anybody made any?

Default Extra long downrigger booms....anybody made any?

Hey all:

Was thinking about making some extra long booms for two of my downriggers and was just wondering if anyone on here has done this with any success. I run 4 cannon unitroll 10's, two off each side. I want to get more spread out of the two that I run straight out, fully extended, to get some more spacing between my lines while turning. I think the cannon booms are 1-5/16" diameter, not sure if pipe in this size is readily available, but I would think that a stick of schedule 80 6061 would be plenty stout out to 8-10 feet to hold a 10-12# weight at 2kt's trolling speed. I think the extendable boom that they come with goes out to 53"...........Don't think it would be that hard to mount a pulley on the end for spooling the line through, and it's just held in the mount by a single set screw.

if anyone has tried this, I would love to hear how it worked out for you.

Question is will the plastic body of the Cannon's hold the torque with that long lever arm you'd be installing. My guess would be no considering how many of them I've seen snap at the plastic base as well as split where the arm slides into the body.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

1" pipe is 1 5/16'' O.D. so that would fit.

However, I think a much better way to go is to build an aluminum davit of the length you want and put one of the cheaper Kolstrand plastic hand troll gurdies on it, and use that as your downrigger. I don't see a 10' long downrigger being very functional or strong.

With booms that long, I'd want stays extending from the tip up toward the bow of the boat. There are unbelievable torque forces involved if you hang one, and without the help of a stay, I bet you're either going to fold a boom or rip something at the base. The stay would give you lots more flexibility in your mount and boom material, even as it would be in the way forward of the base any time you lowered the boom into fishing position.

You will break the mounts. A 10lb ball at 10 ft is 100lbs on the base plus any drag. If you are having trouble turning just go to two rods when fishing kings.

You're big inhibiting factor is the outboards, takes all that space on the back of the boat up. I'd move the mounts and see if you can hang them straight of the back. I thought the Cannon's had 5' booms, if so, you may be able to reach out past the outboards. You won;t have any issues then.

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com

Downrigger pic snip.jpgSo I get that it will be a lot of added strain on the downrigger mounts and frames, what I was thinking was drilling through the extension pipe or adding a collar with an attachment point and attaching a guy wire and turnbuckle set up that would run up to and attach to the rocket launcher on each side of the back corner of the cabin. That way I could mount them up un-weighted and crank down on the turnbuckle to take most of the strain off of the boom.
    My rear mounts are all the way on the back corner of the hull and even fully extended straight back, they come pretty close to getting into the motors when turning very tight. What I'd like to be able to do is have enough spread that I can angle my rear riggers out at least one or two notches on the base and extend them fully and still have enough spread between the inside and outside rigger. That way I'd be able to turn quite a bit sharper to get back on top of a mark or a bait ball without A-holing my lines.
    The way it's set up now, even with the outer ones all the way out, I only get about 24-30 inches of spread. I know I can stack my lines and run two on one downrigger, but with manual cranks, this would be a PITA, and I know I can run only 2 set ups, but this takes half of my presentation out of the water. When you're trying to run different looks down there, it's nice to more than two options to see what the fish are preferring. I can't do anything about where my motors are, that is what it is. I'm just trying to come up with something that would make it so I could be more aggressive fishing tighter spots. With my current set up I have to take a really wide swooping turn to keep the lines clean and by the time I get back on top of the water I was targeting, its been like an eternity!
    I made up a crude picture of what I'm thinking of, I'll see if I can get it to attach on this post.

That looks like it would fly. Without actually being on the boat and fishing it, this i how I spin loopies with 4 riggers in the water.

Run the outside riggers deeper than the insides, as well, make sure that the distance back on the 2nd deepest is no further back than the distance between the outside riggers. They will not tangle on their own, no matter how tight you turn. The inside riggers, same idea, make sure that they are only a few feet behind the balls. Once you figure it out, and it's different on every boat, it's a breeze to run 4 riggers and do doughnuts all day.

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com

Quote Originally Posted by jamesjq View Post
    ...what I was thinking was drilling through the extension pipe or adding a collar with an attachment point and attaching a guy wire and turnbuckle set up that would run up to and attach to the rocket launcher on each side of the back corner of the cabin....
    I called them "stays" and you're calling them guy wires, but we're talking the same support for your long riggers. I'd use a sleeve rather than drilling, because over time you'll find the strain and vibration enlarging holes in your riggers. That's experience rather than speculation. In my youth I worked on commercial salmon trollers down the West coast, and one of my skippers got it in his head to use steel pipe rather than spruce for outriggers. He tried a single stay to the tip rather than multiples as was the case with spruce, but it took only a month for his drilled holes to enlarge enough for the outrigger to come free and swing back suddenly while we were fishing. Thin walled aluminum or even steel pipe would happen even faster for you, I'm sure. He solved it with the onboard welder and we were back to fishing.... But only after we untangled a serious ratnest of 4 troll wires and about a zillion spreads. Egads..... At least none of them went into the wheel.

Charterboat Operator

james:
    love the idea, and have been thinking along the same lines as what you are, though i have got the stacking down pretty good and can run 5 lines without snarling thigs up on the spin.
    what I really want to know, is where in the heck did you get those 5 bladed star propellers, and how do they perform???

I hear they are much more fuel efficient than a 3 or 4 blade prop. You won't even hardly burn any fuel at all - if any !

Charterboat Operator

Attachment 82995Attachment 82996Mine are in final stages.. Paint,brackets,decals, pullies, on! ready to dry fit on boat and figure out dwn rigger configurations! very exiting stuff! going from a 15 foot spread to 43 foot spread. hoping for both stability and productivity while complementing the existing lines of the vessel and not having it look terrible when finished. Should have sea trial by Sunday.. Stay tuned for pic's. F/V Huntress

Nemo- looking nice man, can't wait to hear how it fishes! You going to be out working on Monday? I gotta make a run down and pick up my gear, if you're gonna be at the boat I may stop by.
    Pole bender: I probably shouldn't have posted those publicly; those came out of Suzuki's Skunkwerx department and aren't exactly what I would call "street legal"....
    Bullelkklr is on the right track though, they actually add fuel to the tank the harder you run em, I think it has something to do with pixie dust or some other form of voodoo witchcraft......either way, best to keep it hush-hush for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Nemo View Post
    Attachment 82995Attachment 82996Mine are in final stages.. Paint,brackets,decals, pullies, on! ready to dry fit on boat and figure out dwn rigger configurations! very exiting stuff! going from a 15 foot spread to 43 foot spread. hoping for both stability and productivity while complementing the existing lines of the vessel and not having it look terrible when finished. Should have sea trial by Sunday.. Stay tuned for pic's. F/V Huntress
    Wow, totaly different than I thought you were installing. I was thinking blue water outriggers like I'm running.

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com

Charterboat Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Abel View Post
    Wow, totaly different than I thought you were installing. I was thinking blue water outriggers like I'm running.
    Was hoping for some stability as-well as added down riggers.. will see.. wanted to install tomorrow but just turned into full boat charter so guess will have to wait till Monday now..

Was hoping for some stability as-well as added down riggers.. will see.. wanted to install tomorrow but just turned into full boat charter so guess will have to wait till Monday now..
    Hey, there's way worse reasons to put off projects.

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com

Why not just put a set of Outriggers on the boat. Simple to install and come in 15' 18' that I know of.

1. Because I can do the extended booms for about $100.
    2. I didn't think about doing outriggers!!!

I just wanted to try something different and this was pretty easy and inexpensive. If it totally blows my mind I might invest in some more serious equipment, but it's January and I needed to do something with the boat!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Charterboat Operator

ok, guess i gotta see this to figure out how it is really going to work. Does the pully slide back on the outrigger?

Charterboat Operator

Attachment 83030Attachment 83031Got one side close to done.. polebendre! just a simple set up. dwn rigger reel's up ball and a donut shaped thing attached to a line to the boat allows the crew to pull the ball all the way to the boat and set ball in cradle... I know it's hard to see now but I will have new pics in the field shortly... stay tuned ....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast