Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I broke the fever (cat scratch)!!!

Default I broke the fever (cat scratch)!!!

Some of you might recall a couple weeks ago I called in a lynx and it came in behind me and I didn't get the shot. Well I set some snares out in the same general vicinity and went out to check them today with Bushwhack Junior and this is what we found. Oh yeah, and Brian M, I'll be needing that stir fry recipe if you can spare it.

Sufferin suckatash I thought I saw a puddy tat.

Bushwhack Junior packin him out. I'll get some better photos tomorrow after he thaws out.

AWESOME!! Congratulations, sir! Not much to the stir fry, but I'll write something up in a bit if you'd like. Basically just a bunch of veggies, some sesame oil, soy sauce, and a bit of sriracha if you like spice.

Excellent!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    AWESOME!! Congratulations, sir! Not much to the stir fry, but I'll write something up in a bit if you'd like. Basically just a bunch of veggies, some sesame oil, soy sauce, and a bit of sriracha if you like spice.

Excellent!!!
    Yes, most definitely if you don't mind. My boy and I want to try it. My wife is protesting, so I might have to cook this one myself. Ha, ha!

Definitely try it! (but do cook thoroughly) Lynx is really good to eat.

Congratulations on catching him, looks like a dandy!
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    Oh yeah, and Brian M, I'll be needing that stir fry recipe if you can spare it.
    Alright, here is what I did. The following picture shows everything that went into it other than olive oil for the initial cooking of the meat (though I've since moved over to avocado oil for such cooking since it has a higher smoke point.

I cooked the meat with minced garlic first. I use a LOT of garlic, but of course adjust that to your own preferences. Like Juli indicated, you want to be sure to cook it thoroughly so as to remove any risk of trichinosis. That said, it doesn't need to be rubber. Cook the meat and garlic until done, then set aside.

I then threw all of the veggies in the wok with a bit more oil and cooked until they were just starting to soften. I started with the broccoli, onions, carrots, green onions, peppers, and zucchini, then added the bok choy and bean sprouts in the last minute or two since they really don't need any cooking. As it simmers, add soy sauce and sriracha to taste. Once the veggies are almost done, add the meat and garlic back to the mix. Once complete, drizzle some sesame oil over the top. You don't want to cook with it, as it loses its flavor if heated too much, but it adds a really nice flavor if added once the cooking is complete.

Pretty simple, and can be adjusted depending on what veggies or spices you prefer. When I take another lynx I'll probably do this again, but I think I'll also eat some just breaded and fried, and perhaps another meal of red or green curry. Hope you enjoy!

Oh yeah, and Brian M, I'll be needing that stir fry recipe if you can spare it.
    Right on...!!! You may also want to try that Rancidcrabtree thing with the baking soda in the AK Pantry...???
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I like to add a couple tablespoons of cooking sherry to my stirfry - esp when using wild game - just helps tenderize it some.
    I will have to look into the Rancidcrabtree thing... sounds ineresting!
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Very nice, and looks like you have some deep snow!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

What was your overall opinion of the finished dish? Did you like the taste and how tender was the meat? I've never tried lynx, but it looks and sounds very tasty.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Alright, here is what I did. The following picture shows everything that went into it other than olive oil for the initial cooking of the meat (though I've since moved over to avocado oil for such cooking since it has a higher smoke point.

I cooked the meat with minced garlic first. I use a LOT of garlic, but of course adjust that to your own preferences. Like Juli indicated, you want to be sure to cook it thoroughly so as to remove any risk of trichinosis. That said, it doesn't need to be rubber. Cook the meat and garlic until done, then set aside.

I then threw all of the veggies in the wok with a bit more oil and cooked until they were just starting to soften. I started with the broccoli, onions, carrots, green onions, peppers, and zucchini, then added the bok choy and bean sprouts in the last minute or two since they really don't need any cooking. As it simmers, add soy sauce and sriracha to taste. Once the veggies are almost done, add the meat and garlic back to the mix. Once complete, drizzle some sesame oil over the top. You don't want to cook with it, as it loses its flavor if heated too much, but it adds a really nice flavor if added once the cooking is complete.

Pretty simple, and can be adjusted depending on what veggies or spices you prefer. When I take another lynx I'll probably do this again, but I think I'll also eat some just breaded and fried, and perhaps another meal of red or green curry. Hope you enjoy!
    Great. Thanks Brian. Rep coming your way if I can. The lynx is still a little frozen. Hopefully he should be all thawed out tomorrow and I skin him out. I'll be sure to cook it thoroughly to kill any parasites.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Right on...!!! You may also want to try that Rancidcrabtree thing with the baking soda in the AK Pantry...???
    Not sure what it is. But I think I'll pass. Rancid doesn't sound very appealing.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    Very nice, and looks like you have some deep snow!
    Smokey, the snow in most of Southcentral is very thin right now. Where I was at it was probably about 16-24".

Not sure what it is. But I think I'll pass. Rancid doesn't sound very appealing.

This is what I meant....... http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...aribou-elk-etc
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Oh, I see. That actually looks very similar to Brian's recipe. With the exception of the baking soda to prepare the meat. What does the baking soda do anyhow? My wife and I always soak our snowshoe hare in salt water for 24 hours. But that is to pull out all the blood. Is the baking soda a tenderizer or something?

Great job BJ!! Although I cringe when I see people carrying cats like that. Is Jr BJ iching, lol? Big no no carrying cats like that especially right now as I know for a fact they are LOADED with fleas this year. Hang the cat and you will see them come out! If they are real bad put it into a grabage bag and sprey some Raid and then tie up for a day, it helps. If you need any help skinning or need a board let me know..

If the cat is frozen, will the fleas freeze?
    "Grin and Bear It"

Quote Originally Posted by Tearbear View Post
    If the cat is frozen, will the fleas freeze?
    I have pulled them out of the freezer after several weeks and once thawed the fleas where there and still moving. I have been told that those little buggers can survive months being in a freezer but I have never had one that long in the freezer. I'm pretty much used to them. A couple days after skining they seem to disappear..

Thanks, interesting they can survive like that, after being frozen.

Not sure I would want to spray Raid on something I was planning on eating...there must be something else on the market that's less toxic, that would kill the fleas.
    "Grin and Bear It"

Quote Originally Posted by trailblazersteve View Post
    Great job BJ!! Although I cringe when I see people carrying cats like that. Is Jr BJ iching, lol? Big no no carrying cats like that especially right now as I know for a fact they are LOADED with fleas this year. Hang the cat and you will see them come out! If they are real bad put it into a grabage bag and sprey some Raid and then tie up for a day, it helps. If you need any help skinning or need a board let me know..
    Hey Steve, yeah I didn't think about the fleas when he first picked it up off the ground. When I got him home I noticed a few fleas so I sprayed him with some flea and tick killer and sealed it in a bag. Thanks for the offer of the stretcher. I actually just finished skinning him up tonight. I'll post a couple pics in a little while. Tearbear I wiped him down real good to get as much of the spray off of him before I skinned him and I was trying to be real careful about not contaminating the meat with my hands while I skinned him.

Okay. So here are some final pics to rap it up. Brian, I don't mean to be a copycat and steal your photo ideas, but you did such a good job last time I thought I would kind of use the same theme. Hope you don't mind.

Here is a quick before picture of the cat after he thawed.

Here is a pics of the fur on the stretcher with the fur side out.

Here is a pic of the stir fry meat.

Soaking the meat in teriyaki marinade.

This is my wife cutting up the veggies. I talked her into it. She's a way better cook than I am anyhow, and she even tried it and like it too. She used carrots, peppers, mushrooms, asparagus, bean sprouts, and onions.

These are the rest of the ingredients. Excellent recommendation to use the hot, spicy sriracha sauce Brian. That made the flavor excellent!!!

Here's the meat cooking in the pot.

Here's the finished product in the pot.

And finally on the plate.

I have to say after trying this my whole family was very impressed with the flavor. In fact, my kids loved it. They are not crazy for stir fry so they just ate it like chicken and they dipped it in barbecue and sweet and sour sauce. My son said he could not tell the difference between lynx and chicken. I have to say this is one dish that really does taste like chicken. Most excellent flavor. If I ever get a lynx again I will for sure cook it up. If you ever get a chance to try you won't be sorry.

Man, that just makes my day! Excellent cat, and that meal looks awesome! So glad to hear that your wife and kids enjoyed it as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast