Thread: Best powder for 338 RUM

Default Best powder for 338 RUM

Hello all, I am getting ready to start working on a good 300 grn load for my 338 RUM and was wondering what the best powder would be. So if you have any experience with the 338 RUM, I am all ears. Thanks

Retumbo !!!

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

I know a couple of guys who are looking into loading 338 rum so I looked up the nosler data. Their charts show the 300 grain bullets were most accurate with h1000, for what it's worth.
    My only gear sponsor is the salvation army - Dick Griffith

Thanks scott_rn

Quote Originally Posted by scott_rn View Post
    I know a couple of guys who are looking into loading 338 rum so I looked up the nosler data. Their charts show the 300 grain bullets were most accurate with h1000, for what it's worth.

The H-1000 to me is too fast burning. I get my best results with RETUMBO, RL 25, or ramshot magnum. I have 2 338 RUM and they both like a case full of RETUMBO.

I would say Retumbo will end up being best choice, The RL33 is also good IF you can find any....it delivers 100-150 fps more than Retumbo does in a 338 Lapua.....

I'm trying to find some RL-33 but nobody seems to have any around Fairbanks. I have 4 lbs of RL-25 but worried about temperature stability. I would like to do some shooting now but I don't want to spend the time/money now to work up a good load to find out it doesn't work for summer/hunting season. I was told on other forum to use H-50BMG and I would be happy with the results but I can't find any data for it so just a little weary.

Quote Originally Posted by 450HUNTER View Post
    I'm trying to find some RL-33 but nobody seems to have any around Fairbanks. I have 4 lbs of RL-25 but worried about temperature stability. I would like to do some shooting now but I don't want to spend the time/money now to work up a good load to find out it doesn't work for summer/hunting season. I was told on other forum to use H-50BMG and I would be happy with the results but I can't find any data for it so just a little weary.
    Do this then:
    1) work up a fairly accurate load and cronny it when it is cold.
    2) put the loaded ammo in a cooler ( a small one) with some hand warmers and cronny that .
    see what you come up with.
    My experience has been with cases that take a butt load of powder only become temp sensitive when i go from -30 to 90. Even the the so called extreme powders from hodgdon tend to shot different. Lets say if the load at -15 is a really good load you could always drop 1 to 2 grains in that powder hog to make up the pressure spike you might encounter lets say at 80..Also, my guns don't like max load on the 300 nosler AB but they sure love max with the 300gr sierra match king. If you are developing a hunting load for medium range i don't think the temp is going to make that much of a difference . Well at least that is my experience.

I use both Retumbo and H1000 but Retumbo shoots the best in both 300 ultra, 338 Lupra and 338 Ultra for me. Hard to find sometimes and buying in 8 lb jug is the way go, not going get many shots out of one pound can. Have not seen any problems with temps as Florida be above 90 degrees then high country out west 0, gun shoots well when corrected for altitude happy shooting

I manufacture ammo in Indiana and there is not a day that goes by that I don't shop for powder 4 or 5 times a day. I love Retumbo but it is really hard to get. The powders I see regularly available and of course these might be different for Alaska but:
    RL-50
    H-50
    US869
    IMR 7828
    IMR 7828 SSC
    IMR 4831

We used IMR 4831 for our 338 Lapua AP ammo. 162gr. We were getting near 3700fps.

alaska2go, I hadn't thought about using a cooler. When it warms up some I may give that a try. To cold now far playing at the range. Thanks

Retumbo presently at 3 Bears Trunk Road.

Only problem is I live in Fairbanks.

I used RL-22 and 25 when I had my .338 Edge; both were very accurate, '25 produced faster velocities. Reloader 33 came out after I sold the rifle, so I never got a chance to use it.

Alliant just released RL-23 and RL-26 that have similar burn rates as 22 and 25, but are supposed to be much less temperature sensitive. Being that they are brand new powders, they *might* stay on the store shelves longer because they are new and unknown by the hoarding masses.

I knew about the RL-23 & 26 but none has came to Fairbanks according to store workers. But I'm still hoping!!!!