Thread: Ruger SR22

Default Ruger SR22

Wife and I invited a gal out that we have taken under wing with her kids today to shoot some guns, and one we played with was a Ruger SR 22 I bought the wife last summer. Everyone really likes the way it feels and handles but I have to say it is not the most accurate gun I have ever shot. I have a very old Ruger T512 that has been my trapping gun and dispatched more critters than I can count and it still shoots lights out compared to the SR. Anybody else got one and had any better accuracy luck?

I would say at 10 paces I can keep most of a clip full in the end of a soda can at best, the T512 can keep them all in a quarter easily...
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

I've be willing to go out on a limb and say it's more about familiarity and what you have practice on. Before I moved, a buddy and I used to play tic-tac-toe on 1" squares from about the same distance with ours. I'm not saying you are a bad shot, I'm saying you are more familiar with the T512 and maybe shoot it better. That said, it strikes me as more of a trainer for their SR line than a bullseye target shooter. Something like the S&W M&P 22.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Smokey, That SR 22 wasn't designed for Birdshot:

I examined one, and I thought the trigger was Awful Terrible.

I thought a Walther P22 was better, but I ended up with a Ruger Mk III Hunter.

I know that ammo is scarce now, but I recently heard of "CCI Quiet" Ammo in FFG magazine. It was suggested for trappers.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

That's disappointing to hear Somkey, I was thinking about picking one up for trapline and opportunity grouse.

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    That's disappointing to hear Somkey, I was thinking about picking one up for trapline and opportunity grouse.
    If you want something for actually taking game, I wouldn't use any of the "tactical" styled .22 pistols. Whether it's the Walther, Sig Mosquito, S&W or the SR22. These aren't meant to be bullseye shooters. They are all meant to be low cost replacement shooters for your big boy handguns. Before the .22LR shortage of aught '12... it was cheaper to spend 1000 rounds shooting a .22, but people wanted a .22 that mimicked their carry guns more. Enter these guys. It's not horribly inaccurate, but it's certainly not gonna beat a good Mark III or a Buckmark. Wasn't meant to.

Quote Originally Posted by Mobius View Post
    If you want something for actually taking game, I wouldn't use any of the "tactical" styled .22 pistols. Whether it's the Walther, Sig Mosquito, S&W or the SR22. These aren't meant to be bullseye shooters. They are all meant to be low cost replacement shooters for your big boy handguns. Before the .22LR shortage of aught '12... it was cheaper to spend 1000 rounds shooting a .22, but people wanted a .22 that mimicked their carry guns more. Enter these guys. It's not horribly inaccurate, but it's certainly not gonna beat a good Mark III or a Buckmark. Wasn't meant to.
    I wouldn't expect them to shoot like a bigger target/hunting gun, but I don't want to tote the bigger gun either. I just sold a long barreled revolver that was very accurate but I never carried the darn thing!

Having said that the new break down 10/22 charger is oddly appealing to me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Mobius View Post
    You're probably right.

Oh, for the days of the Colt Woodsman, and the Colt Huntsman, and the Hi-Standards. And those neat little Autiomaktics like that.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Smokey, I got my wife one of those too. I didn't do to bad with it....I would say end of a soda can at 25 yards would have been my very best. I ended up getting a Ruger MKIII Cobalt with a 4 inch barrel. It shoots a lot more like what your after. My eldest daughter asked me at Christmas time if they could take the Cobalt home with them to Indiana as they had found a range and desired to shoot some. I'm pretty sure that means I need to get another one for the Mrs.....I gave them one brick of 22s and told them that they were on their own after that!

limon, I would not hesitate to take the SR on the trapline, plenty good at those ranges. As for the grouse it would probably be fine for body shots, if'n you want to scalp them birds then one of the better 22's mentioned would be a wiser choice. I like the SR overall, just not as accurate as I hoped for. I imagine its lighter weight contributes a lot to the problem, two handed holds definitely tighten the groups...
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    limon, I would not hesitate to take the SR on the trapline, plenty good at those ranges. As for the grouse it would probably be fine for body shots, if'n you want to scalp them birds then one of the better 22's mentioned would be a wiser choice. I like the SR overall, just not as accurate as I hoped for. I imagine its lighter weight contributes a lot to the problem, two handed holds definitely tighten the groups...
    Thanks for the input, that's very helpful!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bought one to teach the wife to shoot. Lighter than my mark II so she is more interested in practicing. Already out shoots me with it. Better at handling a variety of 22lr than some other small semi autos. Great training gun.

On the other hand, hate all the extra safety crap on it, but guess that is the future of guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Smokey, That SR 22 wasn't designed for Birdshot:

I examined one, and I thought the trigger was Awful Terrible.

I thought a Walther P22 was better, but I ended up with a Ruger Mk III Hunter.

I know that ammo is scarce now, but I recently heard of "CCI Quiet" Ammo in FFG magazine. It was suggested for trappers.

Smitty of the North
    I bought one for my wife. I played with six different ones, the first five had a catchy creep in the trigger. The sixth one had a clean break, smooth pull. It's quite the shooter. I'm betting that the triggers are easily fixed. I have a long barrel 22/45 that doesn't shoot much better.