Thread: If you use peroxide, read this....there are dangers involved when using it.

Default If you use peroxide, read this....there are dangers involved when using it.

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index...,125556.0.html

I highly recommend anyone cleaning their own skulls - or thinking about getting into it as a hobby... PLEASE read this story. Hydrogen Peroxide can be a very dangerous chemical - especially in strong solutions. Always, always, always know the dangers of chemicals you use, and chemical reactions that may occur if you don't know or follow proper protocols.
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Default If you use peroxide, read this....there are dangers involved when using it.

Good stuff Juli, thanks for sharing.

To the OP, I have successfully used 3% first aid type peroxide to do exactly what your doing, bleaches out the moss and mildew green just fine.

Coyote skull I found this fall, it sat in 3% for a couple months, I think I change it out once.

That hasn't been glued yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

coyote or young wolf? how far do you think the nose to eye measurement was? most coyotes measure about 4" from the corner of the inside of the eye to the end of the nose.
    Taxidermy IS art!

Quote Originally Posted by JuliW View Post
    coyote or young wolf? how far do you think the nose to eye measurement was? most coyotes measure about 4" from the corner of the inside of the eye to the end of the nose.
    Well I assume coyote based only on my scouting of the area for a few years. I'll measure it.

On the living animal..
    Taxidermy IS art!

On the living animal..
    Ha ha ha... That's going to be tougher...

Eye socket to end of nasal cavity in this is 3.5" it also looks just like the skull I have from the one I shot.

It is probably a coyote, based on your measurements - though a bigger than average one, I would guess I was looking at it on the notebook there and thought the n-e measurement seemed long for a coyote - but the angle of the camera can be misleading. if you are measuring only to the end of the nasal cavitiy - do you mean where the front teeth are or where the bridge of the nose is? You would add probably at least an inch to the former for an estimate of n-e on the living animal.
    Taxidermy IS art!

It is probably a coyote, based on your measurements - though a bigger than average one, I would guess I was looking at it on the notebook there and thought the n-e measurement seemed long for a coyote - but the angle of the camera can be misleading. if you are measuring only to the end of the nasal cavitiy - do you mean where the front teeth are or where the bridge of the nose is? You would add probably at least an inch to the former for an estimate of n-e on the living animal.
    I measured from the last tip of bone to the center of the eye socket.

I do think t was from a big coyote, but it had a chunk out of the top like something bigger had bit it.

I just noticed I thought I was responding to a different thread!