Thread: Your preferred beach landing technique ?

Default Your preferred beach landing technique ?

Long ago I was taught by somebody or another, that while landing on a sloping beach to put the uphill tire down first and then try to lower the tail-wheel so it hits around the same time as the down-hill tire. ( after making a couple one tire drags to make sure the gravel or sand is solid enough) And with a nose-wheel A/C it was still up-hill first, followed by down-hill and then the nose wheel once you could not hold her up any longer.

Well the other day I watched a guy just come down at an angle and he did a wheel landing type touchdown on both the uphill and down-hill mains simultaneously. He was using power and went further down the beach,,, but it seemed to work.

What is your preferred method? I figure I ain't too old to learn a new trick.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

[QUOTE=Float Pilot;1452633]Long ago I was taught by somebody or another, that while landing on a sloping beach to put the uphill tire down first and then try to lower the tail-wheel so it hits around the same time as the down-hill tire. ( after making a couple one tire drags to make sure the gravel or sand is solid enough) And with a nose-wheel A/C it was still up-hill first, followed by down-hill and then the nose wheel once you could not hold her up any longer.

Well the other day I watched a guy just come down at an angle and he did a wheel landing type touchdown on both the uphill and down-hill mains simultaneously. He was using power and went further down the beach,,, but it seemed to work.

What is your preferred method? I figure I ain't too old to learn a new trick.[/QUOTE

I've always landed with the uphill wheel first. On a rather steep beach, the real concern is the balance between light braking on the uphill side while using rudder control toward the downhill side to maintain straight ahead control.

I've always landed with the uphill wheel first. On a rather steep beach, the real concern is the balance between light braking on the uphill side while using rudder control toward the downhill side to maintain straight ahead control.
    Yeap that is how I have always done it... and just stay on the rudders & brakes to make sure she does not head down-hill towards the water... Or up-hill if you hit a real soft spot of some sort. I have buried my tail-wheel a few times after slowing down...

They guy I saw made a curving approach so he was in a bank and landed while still banked on a fairly steep beach. I thought it was interesting.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    Yeap that is how I have always done it... and just stay on the rudders & brakes to make sure she does not head down-hill towards the water... Or up-hill if you hit a real soft spot of some sort. I have buried my tail-wheel a few times after slowing down...

They guy I saw made a curving approach so he was in a bank and landed while still banked on a fairly steep beach. I thought it was interesting.
    Sounds like the beach at McNeil River back in the days when anyone could land there . . .

Pretty sure anyone still can. Might not be common, but also not illegal.
    14 Days to Alaska
    Also available on Kindle and Nook

Quote Originally Posted by Troy Hamon View Post
    Pretty sure anyone still can. Might not be common, but also not illegal.
    Hmmmm - - - thought everyone now had to go through a flight service in Homer these days for McNeil bear viewing . . . ?

They make it sound that way, but there are no legal restrictionsthat I am aware of that prevent a private plane from landing on the beach. I know of people that have done so within the past decade. I would say they were not made particularly welcome though. Being in the sanctuary proper is different, depending on the legal boundary that could exclude landing in the lagoon without a permit, but not in the bay.

The beach is pretty steep and collects driftwood, so really not a good beach for anything bigger than fat tired cub setup...

If I was going I would just get a seat with somebody else, I sure would not want to manage an airplane on that beach overnight. I also don't relish being the guy they all frown at...those guys are friends of mine...

...just that technically...not illegal...at least not on the beach...
    14 Days to Alaska

[QUOTE=Troy Hamon;1452939]They make it sound that way, but there are no legal restrictionsthat I am aware of that prevent a private plane from landing on the beach. I know of people that have done so within the past decade. I would say they were not made particularly welcome though. Being in the sanctuary proper is different, depending on the legal boundary that could exclude landing in the lagoon without a permit, but not in the bay.

The beach is pretty steep and collects driftwood, so really not a good beach for anything bigger than fat tired cub setup...

If I was going I would just get a seat with somebody else, I sure would not want to manage an airplane on that beach overnight. I also don't relish being the guy they all frown at...those guys are friends of mine...

...just that technically...not illegal...at least not on the beach...[/QUOTE

In the old days, I was doing it with a C-170A and 8.50 tires. Wasn't a comfortable beach, but doable, and loaded. I never stayed overnight, but my clients would. Always trouble with the bears and tents, if the camp wasn't kept really clean and neat. Even then, we lost tents and had to deal with bear pee on the sleeping bags . . .

The beach topography is steeper than it was 30 years ago according to a couple folks I visited with about it when I was out there. Lots different at low tide...I was thinking of the top of the beach berm...but the tidal area is not so bad.
    14 Days to Alaska

[QUOTE=Grizzly 2;1452957]
    Quote Originally Posted by Troy Hamon View Post
    They make it sound that way, but there are no legal restrictionsthat I am aware of that prevent a private plane from landing on the beach. I know of people that have done so within the past decade. I would say they were not made particularly welcome though. Being in the sanctuary proper is different, depending on the legal boundary that could exclude landing in the lagoon without a permit, but not in the bay.

...just that technically...not illegal...at least not on the beach...[/QUOTE

In the old days, I was doing it with a C-170A and 8.50 tires. Wasn't a comfortable beach, but doable, and loaded. I never stayed overnight, but my clients would. Always trouble with the bears and tents, if the camp wasn't kept really clean and neat. Even then, we lost tents and had to deal with bear pee on the sleeping bags . . .

My flights there were made more than fifty years ago. Always used the gravel portion near the top of the beach. Very steep and well curved as well, but seemed better than the "flats" at low tide, given the small gear on the C-170A.

Aside from sloped beach landings there are also beach landings on wide sandy beaches at low tide when the beach is a dozen times wider than any runway or air strip you'd ever land on. The Hook Point Beach on Hinchenbrook Island is a good example. As you approach the huge gray expanse of hard-packed flat sandy beach, it is very much the same as making a glassy water landing. Not easy to see how close you are to the ground once your within 20 or 30 feet of it, but easily doable using a glassy water landing technique as you get close enough to realize that there is really almost no visual reference for judging your height above the ground.