Thread: Bear skull

Default Bear skull

I have a bear skull that I found that is pretty well bleached by nature. There are a few spots that could be cleaned up. Some of the skull has turned green and I would like to whiten it without damaging it or significantly weakening it. Any suggestions aside from hydrogen peroxide?

Thanks.

Mike

Cool find! The natural weathered look is always cool too. I used a sheep skull I found as part of the habitat for a wolverine base.

I haven't tried whitening any old or weathered skulls .... if you are wanting to whiten it with peroxide, try a diluted version first - maybe 30 volume cut in half. As long as it isn't flaky or brittle right now, a dilute peroxide oughtn't hurt it. You might let it sit in a dawn dish soap and water solution for few days to cut any grease remaining in the skull. Or some other type of degreasing agent. Bears tend to be very greasy.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Quote Originally Posted by KLNhunter View Post
    I have a bear skull that I found that is pretty well bleached by nature. There are a few spots that could be cleaned up. Some of the skull has turned green and I would like to whiten it without damaging it or significantly weakening it. Any suggestions aside from hydrogen peroxide?

Thanks.

Mike
    By are you avoiding peroxide?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depending on what you want it to look like, I would use the peroxide and after it's as white as you think it's gonna get, paint on a mixture of white Elmer's glue and water.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Skull with prob be mostly grease free if mostly whitened and growing moss/algae. A few sessions of hot soapy water (dawn dish soap) to get the dirt and any surface grease/grime off. Use the hottest tap water you can. Drop skull in bucket and then add soap right at end to mix but don't need lots of bubbles. Let cool to room temp and repeat a few times over a few days. Then once you have all the boulders off let completely dry. See what it looks like. If you like the look leave as is. If you want bright white use strongest peroxide you can get. At a beauty supply, 40 volume is 12%. Univar or Garness industrial in ANC can get you 30-50% but have to buy in bulk 5-30 gallons. Weaker still works the same but you have to let it sit longer to get the desired effect. High strength 30-50% works over night. Use a few trash bags and put skull inside and add peroxide then place the bags into a bucket of water. Put a plastic bottle on top to hold down in bucket. The water acts like a vacuum sealer and requires less peroxide to accomplish the desired results. Careful with high strength peroxide, it will cause bad burns to skin and possible blindness.

Pull out of peroxide and place in hottest tap water again until cools. Will bubble and get alot of dirt, grease and grime out as the peroxide bubbles to surface.

Once relatively cool remove and dry.

Use Elmer's to glue teeth because it is water based and can be soaked in water to remove teeth if you make a mistake. It is not a great sealer because if it gets moist or damp it gets sticky and attracts dirt. Paraloid b-72 is a museum quality sealer you meld in acetone. It is the best. Next best is a rattle can on non-yellowing clear sealer in what ever sheen you want, I like satin. Pm me if I can help more.

Here is a skull I did like what you are talking about ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421475988.290544.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421476039.923693.jpg

Here is a cub skull not peroxided, more ivory color. Just did the soap and let dry and out the teeth back in thy fell out. . ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421476197.541083.jpg

Thanks for all the tips. Here are a few pictures of the skull.441A81C8-A374-450D-81C7-41342B1DBBF2.jpg107E07CD-A6A8-430B-BF79-88EF15B94B51.jpg

The lower jaw is pretty weak where the fissure is. Would the Paraloid b72 help strengthen that weak fissure?

Did you take that in and get it sealed?

Yup, wanted to make sure it would be legal. Bio said that if it still had the front teeth, it would have measured 27 inches.

It is not uncommon for the lower jaw to come apart into two pieces - In fact if you soak it in water/soap solution for a week or so, it probably will pull apart quite easily (may even just fall apart in the bucket). You can use some super glue to put it back together.
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Yup, wanted to make sure it would be legal. Bio said that if it still had the front teeth, it would have measured 27 inches.
    So you just took it in and told them you found it an they were ok with that?

Yup. It likely helped that I knew the bio and was able to describe exactly where i found the rest of the bones that went with it. It might have been more difficult if the front teeth were there.

Yup. It likely helped that I knew the bio and was able to describe exactly where i found the rest of the bones that went with it. It might have been more difficult if the front teeth were there.
    Interesting thanks. I've only ever found moose skulls and a coyote but I was curious about the legality of taking any of the, I guess I'll have to give them a call now for the other species.