Thread: What fishing rig do you include with your hunting gear?

Question What fishing rig do you include with your hunting gear?

I'll be flying in to a river for a float hunt with a buddy of mine, and the taxi service is allowing 90# of personal gear apiece. We'd be looking to catch mostly grayling along the way.

Just wondering what you folks normally carry with you for fishing while you're on a hunting trip. I'm guessing I'll need some sort of breakdown rod and spinning reel with a small collection of spinners, a spool of line, forceps, small scissors, etc. Does that sound about right? What do you carry with you?

I appreciate any ideas or suggestions you can offer. Apologies if this is in the wrong forum. I just figured, since the fishing is secondary, hunters might carry different tackle than those who are only fishing.

Thanks,
    John

You got it. Spinning pack rod. 4 or 6 lb test. assorted small spinners, spoons and wet flies. some split shot and a couple small float bubbles.

I've been looking at the Tenkara fly rods for use on hunting trips. Sort of a simplified fly rig. A friend of mine in CO swears they are the greatest thing since sliced bread on backpack hunts.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Emmrod 6 coil did a lot of looking for a tough little rod . I think the emmrod was the best

If you really feel you're only going to have grayling bite, then get yourself a cheap and light break down fly rod and have some fun.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

Or use your tent pole (the way Buck Nelson does).
    My only gear sponsor is the salvation army - Dick Griffith

Size 0 chartreuse vibrex. Leave the rest of the spinners at home. You'll be trying to cast without a hookup

Lightweight flyrod & reel with a small spin reel for back up. You use the spinning reel on the flyrod. Works fine.

Eagle Claw 6 piece Spin/Fly combo rod.