Thread: Port Chalmers cabin Montague

Default Port Chalmers cabin Montague

Has anyone stayed in the port Chalmers cabin on montague? Looking to go sometime this summer with my adult children on a fishing trip there. would need to sleep 6 adults and one child. is the cabin big enough for that?

http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/chuga...6619&actid=101

The info below didn't copy so well but the link to the page is shown above...

Port Chalmers Cabin
    Area Status:Open

A 12 x 14-foot rustic cabin.
    Sleeps 6, table, wood stove, oil stove, splitting maul, saw, rainwater catchment barrel, and outhouse.
    No running water, electricity, mattress or bedding, cooking utensils, cut firewood or stove oil.
    At a Glance

Reservations: Cabin reservations can be made by calling 1-877-444-6777 (518-885-3639 overseas) or visitingwww.recreation.gov. Cabin reservations (check-in & check out time) are from noon to noon.
    Closest Towns: Cordova, Seward
    Water: rainwater barrel
    Restroom: outhouse
    Information Center: Cordova Ranger District
    P.O.Box 280, Cordova, AK 99574
    (907) 424-7661

General Information

Directions:Cabin is on southern end of Port Chalmers on the NW side of Montague Island. Access is by floatplane (40 minutes from Cordova, 60 minutes from Seward) or boat (65 miles from Cordova, 70 miles from Whittier, 100 miles from Seward).
    Best access at high tide. Click here for local tide information. (Click Predictions for Port Chalmers on Montague Island in Prince William Sound.) Winter access may be difficult due to pan ice in bay.

General Notes:Inclement weather conditions may cause an extension of your trip during any time of the year and winter access can be difficult due to snow and ice conditions. Bring extra supplies to last 2-5 days. Bring initial supply of water. Boil surface water 5 minutes before drinking. Bringing a personal cooking stove is recommended. Remember to pack out your trash. You can contact a U.S. Forest Service office to receive more detailed information on safety precautions.
    Recreation Map

Map showing recreational areas. Map Information

Thanks, that's what I was looking for.

sent you a PM.

Spent a week there with four guys for a late fall early winter deer hunt. Six adults and one child would be possible in emergency situations, but I wouldn't consider it a comfortable stay.

Also be aware that the lagoon in front of the cabin goes dry on low tide, so be careful where and when you anchor and off load and on load.

View from the cabin at high tide.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Basically two sets of bunk beds. Big beds on bottom and twin beds on top. I was there in October a few years ago for a week with 5 friends. It was snug, but it worked out ok. Two guys in sleeping bags on the bottom and 1 guy on top.

Couple places close by that you could pitch a tent too if someone wanted their own space.

The Green Island cabin is a lot bigger and has a nice covered deck. The Chalmers cabin would be way to small for 6 especially if the rain comes in.

When I stayed there years ago the oil stove didn't work. We took it apart cleaned it and still no luck. After we got settled in and a wood fire going we found the cabin journal and seemed like every group that entered in it tried fixing the stove too. I would still bring fuel though. You will be on a very wet island that doesn't have much dry wood near the cabin.

Default Green Island

I have visited, but not stayed at, the Green Island cabin. Very nice and well maintained, however, maybe a bit lacking on the finer details. For example, I wanted to sign the guest book but it was full. I followed the lead of other guests and used stationary that others left behind. There is a very good boardwalk once one gets above the tide line, however, the protected (southern) beach is shallow and slimy at anything other than high tide (FYI).

We are actually thinking it would be fun to stay at that cabin in particular rather than on the boat. The only problem with that area, of course, is that it takes really good water to get there and back (well, for me anyway - I'm a fair-weather sailor any more!).