Thread: Chugiak Shooting Range

Default Chugiak Shooting Range

Trying to see if anyone else has had this problem. Me and my buddies for close to ten years have been in the Spring Shotgun league at the shooting range in Chugiak. I get the phone call last night that my team can't get the events we want for our usual Weds night. Can't even do Thurs night. And Tues night they can only offer me an early time where my team would have to skip out on work early. Talked to the team and after some heated discussion we decide to not shoot this Spring. We all also decide to never shoot there again. We feel a little, ok a lot, jilted. We have been doing this for a long time. We all really like doing this. The team is not going to renew our individual memberships and I defiantly won't ever shoot there again. Just wondering if there was a change in management over there or philosophy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Evan is not running leagues anymore, there is a new guy in charge and I don't think he's real dialed in yet. We've had a few hickups as well but got it worked out. Your not the first team who's had issues.

I would say call the club president , I am thinking of dropping my membership because I'm tired of range nazi, trying to fiddle with peoples guns and asking 400 questions . I could go on all day but I know the board hasnt changed very much in 4-5 years .

Quote Originally Posted by polardds View Post
    Trying to see if anyone else has had this problem. Me and my buddies for close to ten years have been in the Spring Shotgun league at the shooting range in Chugiak. I get the phone call last night that my team can't get the events we want for our usual Weds night. Can't even do Thurs night. And Tues night they can only offer me an early time where my team would have to skip out on work early. Talked to the team and after some heated discussion we decide to not shoot this Spring. We all also decide to never shoot there again. We feel a little, ok a lot, jilted. We have been doing this for a long time. We all really like doing this. The team is not going to renew our individual memberships and I defiantly won't ever shoot there again. Just wondering if there was a change in management over there or philosophy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Our team's been in the shotgun league at Chugiak B.S.R.P. (Issac Walton before that) coming up on the 20 year mark. On the whole, we've usually been able to get our regular events and time slots. Not sure why your team could not be accommodated. Someone should have provided a clear explanation to your team. I will say that if you and your team were treated poorly, definitely let the board members know. If enough complaints come in, maybe something will get done.

That being said, with recent personnel turnover (Evan, Jim), I've noticed things have not been running as smooth as they have been on the shotgun side of the club. Maybe there was some miscommunication between a new employee and your team captain? It's too bad the club could not accommodate a longtime league team.

I dropped my membership. I won't be going back until things change.

Quote Originally Posted by Roman View Post
    I would say call the club president , I am thinking of dropping my membership because I'm tired of range nazi, trying to fiddle with peoples guns and asking 400 questions . I could go on all day but I know the board hasnt changed very much in 4-5 years .
    ditto for the same reasons

Dropped mine. It's a long drive to shoot at the upper susitna shooters ass range in talkeetna but the folks there are really nice and they real nice range. The range is better every year. 300 and 1,000 yard range for who can see something that far.

I am my team's captain. They were able to offer us a Tuesday spot but we had all set our schedules up for Weds. So we can't get a team of five together for a Tuesday. So we will probably be cancelling our memberships as well. Just a shame to have helped and watched the range grow and then to have to leave it with such a bad taste in my mouth.

Board meeting is Jan 27th. My team is going to show up and express our concerns but do not expect any resolution.

Bummer man. Sorry to hear this.

Well they tried to offer us a different day and time. We had all set up our kids practices and late work hours to avoid our desired day that we have had for over 8 years. We could not make it work. So the team is a little pissed off. Most are not renewing their EPM's. One member went and turned his in and got another mixed message. They said they don't make priorities for the Fall league teams whereas I was told they did. So of our 8 members (We have a team of five but do to travel and slope jobs we need 8) seven are not renewing their EPM's. I wanted to go to the last Board meeting but my wife had a C section the day before. So I will go to the next one. I do not plan on staying with the club I just feel they should know what is going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Roman View Post
    I have been shooting there for more than 30 years but I won't be renewing my membership for the same reason.

Dropped mine and refuse to shoot there ever again. They don't seem concerned either, have plenty of people who don't mind being treated as an idiot and a number.

I think I am going to skip them too.
    Last time I was there one of the guys came into the firing line and yelled "you got 5 minutes to pack up your crap and get out"
    We understood there was a league shooting scheduled but really? Could have reminded us nicer.
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Has this place gotten any better? Before I read this my buddy who belongs there, but had not been there since the change, had my wife and I con vinced to join. There hasn't anything new on here for awhile, so thought I would spark the conversation up for any new input. Thanks

I was just there today, had a great time. Shot the AR and my new XDM, watched the cowboy shooters for a while... Looks like fun, and watched the apple seed shooters...also looks like fun and educational. I have been a member for 4 years
    and have NEVER had a problem with anyone there. There was some new folks at the clays side but they are doing good, and working hard from what I can see. I always have a good time there.

I have to agree with 2dawgs, i have been shooting there as an EPM for years and never had a problem.
    There might be different people working during the week when the range is open to the public.
    I have found the guys to be friendly and helpful.

Also seems the shotgun side is considerably more friendly. I don't have issues with the people in the booth on rifle/pistol side at all. Its the range boys that I have issue with. Although I went few weeks ago and there was a New Zealander doing safety and range stuff. Nice guy , pleasant and talked to me like an adult. Maybe he can control the kids. There is one person there that wont ever leave that I have a slight issue with though