Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Cva apex?

  1. #1

    Default Cva apex?

    Any of you gents shot or owned a CVA Apex rifle? I have experience with the CVA Accura MR Black Nitride. It's the best inline muzzleloader on the market if there is such a thing as a good inline. I don't know anyone who has any experience with the Apex switch barrel rifle that CVA now offers. Are they as good as advertised?

  2. #2

    Default

    Only second hand, and by accounts rather than watching it happen.

    A guy moved up here recently with one, full of glowing reports about long range accuracy. Boy, was he ever leaked off to learn he couldn't use a scope during the special muzzleloader seasons! He uses it with open sights, but grumbles all the time. "What's the point of having that kind of accuracy if all you can use is open sights?"

    If his stories of scoped performance are even close to accurate, it should do well there where you are and scopes are allowed. I have noticed one thing: You're allowed to use scoped muzzleloaders during the general hunting season, but he favors his cartridge guns over the Apex, even scoped, during the regular season.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    8,809

    Default

    The Apex is not just an Inline ML. They also make it in a Single Shot action for modern cartridges.

    I've only seen ONE in all my born days. It was Bootiful, and tighter than a Bulls Arse in fly season. I wooda buyed it if the barrel was longer than 20". I'm holding out for one that has a longer barrel. 25", IIRC. The rifle length would still be several inches shorter than a BA with the same length barrel.

    SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

  4. #4

    Default

    Well I got one but only because it was a way good deal ... I think? What I have learned since is that the company that goes.by the Connecticut Valley Arms needs to just close their doors and quit baiting the American outdoorsman an into buying products they have no intention of ever supporting. They sold thousands upon thousand of these switch barrel Apex rifles and then abruptly quit supporting them. You can't find a barrel for them for love nor money yet their website lists them but states that you have to buy them through a vendor. I gave them my zip and they referred me to Brown ells. I didn't believe it but called Brownells only to find out that never have and never will support CVA. So now I have a very recent production switch barrel rifle and there is no availability of barrels.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    8,809

    Default

    Hmm, it sounds like CVA is goin Belly Up. That's too bad for me, as the 7mm-08 Single Shot I saw, was a dandy.

    CVA usta make traditional MLs and they were very reasonably priced, yet pretty good guns. I owned 2 of them, but no more. I just have the rifle I got from you, and a cupla ML pistols, a Lyman Plains, and a Traditions, Trapper.

    CVA started making ONLY Inlines until recently, I guess, and they now make the Apex in Single Shot cartridge rifles. Like you say, they look really great on their website, with all kinds of options, etc.

    I gather, you have an Inline. What kinda nother barrel are you lookin for?

    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

  6. #6

    Default

    Yes Smitty I have a 50 cal in line barrel and also a 243 barrel for the Apex. I love the 243 and it's one of my favorite coyote killing cartridges. However the kind of coyote hunting that I do calls for a larger margin of error than is afforded by a single shot. I would love to have a 45-70 barrel for this Apex but after 2 days of looking the world wide I've come up empty! Weren't suppose to be I guess....not now anyway! I may send this 243 out to JES and have him turn it into a 338-06.

  7. #7

    Default

    Smitty put his hound dog tracking nose to work on the net and found me a 45-70 barrel for the Apex. Way to go Smitty! I'm happier 'n a hog in slop.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Valley
    Posts
    144

    Default

    I tried to buy one a few years back when they first came out. I was living in AR at the time and wanted another rifle that I could use as a switch barrel like the TC Encore I had owned earlier. I went to several FFL's in the area, but none could get me one and an extra barrel. Sure, I could have gotten one that was either or, but no extra barrels in the calibers I wanted. I think if I ever want another single barrel/switch style, I go back to an Encore.

  9. #9

    Default

    I had it out with TC a few years back. I have no room at my house for a gun made so poorly that they break from dry firing. They will not warranty an Encore if you break the firing mechanism while dry firing. Most manufactures...good ones anyway encourage dry firing rather than warn against it. I was guilty of dry firing the first time it broke and never dry fired it again. It lasted another couple hundred rounds before it broke again.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Valley
    Posts
    144

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    I had it out with TC a few years back. I have no room at my house for a gun made so poorly that they break from dry firing. They will not warranty an Encore if you break the firing mechanism while dry firing. Most manufactures...good ones anyway encourage dry firing rather than warn against it. I was guilty of dry firing the first time it broke and never dry fired it again. It lasted another couple hundred rounds before it broke again.
    Sorry about your experience with TC, as mine was just the opposite. I had excellent customer service from them after the butt stock broke on the Encore I had. I honestly think if I was wanting another SS rifle and didn't want a switch barrel, I would go Ruger #1.

  11. #11

    Default

    I have read very few bad reviews on the TC Contender or Encore and have friends that love theirs. I have just been snake bit in regards to all things TC.

    I had a brand new Apex barrel arrive at my house yesterday. The one and only place that had a 45-70 barrel was Able's Ammo in Virginia. They carry a lot of hard to find stuff. A big thanks to Smitty Of The North for taking some of his time and finding that barrel for me. Ole Smitty has a good heart folks and I'd a as soon go down the river with him as any!

  12. #12
    Member Smokey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Central Illinois
    Posts
    3,334

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    I have read very few bad reviews on the TC Contender or Encore and have friends that love theirs. I have just been snake bit in regards to all things TC.

    I had a brand new Apex barrel arrive at my house yesterday. The one and only place that had a 45-70 barrel was Able's Ammo in Virginia. They carry a lot of hard to find stuff. A big thanks to Smitty Of The North for taking some of his time and finding that barrel for me. Ole Smitty has a good heart folks and I'd a as soon go down the river with him as any!
    That 45/70 otta be a real coyote thump'n round for you EKC, get you a bandolier, or better yet two, stuff a couple hundred rounds in them loops and you'll be the talk of the town!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

  13. #13

    Default

    I think wrapping my pea brain around how much lead is needed to shoot a running coyote with a 45-70 is apt to make my head hurt. I'll continue to use my mini 14.

    When shouldered this Apex feels perfect. With scope mounted in the Duraight rings/mount cheek weld and eye alignment with the scope is perfect. The handling characteristics of the Apex makes it feel whole a lot like a Weatherby Vanguard to me and it doesn't get any better than that for me.

    Hey Smoke. How 'bought you go out in the yard and listen real intensely for a thud. I just fired off the 45-70 and was holding it barrel in the air at bought a 60 degree angle pointing to the SSE. It should be coming back to earth any second! Ha!

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    8,809

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    When shouldered this Apex feels perfect. With scope mounted in the Duraight rings/mount cheek weld and eye alignment with the scope is perfect. The handling characteristics of the Apex makes it feel whole a lot like a Weatherby Vanguard to me and it doesn't get any better than that for me.

    Hey Smoke. How 'bought you go out in the yard and listen real intensely for a thud. I just fired off the 45-70 and was holding it barrel in the air at bought a 60 degree angle pointing to the SSE. It should be coming back to earth any second! Ha!
    Ketch it in your hat, Smokey.

    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    8,809

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    I think wrapping my pea brain around how much lead is needed to shoot a running coyote with a 45-70 is apt to make my head hurt. I'll continue to use my mini 14.

    When shouldered this Apex feels perfect. With scope mounted in the Duraight rings/mount cheek weld and eye alignment with the scope is perfect. The handling characteristics of the Apex makes it feel whole a lot like a Weatherby Vanguard to me and it doesn't get any better than that for me.
    C'mon, EKC:
    Yore brain is at least the size of a Butter Bean.

    Now you see, that APEX has a lil comb rise, and a lil cheekpiece, kinda like the Vanguard and Wby MK Vs, which make it fit so good.

    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

  16. #16
    Member Smokey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Central Illinois
    Posts
    3,334

    Default

    Smitty you are right on about the butter bean!
    EKC your aim was off a bit s when I came home one of the neighbors cats was stone dead in her back yard and a lump of lead was resting nearby. Good shot though, I ain't much fer cats...

    Me and the Mrs will be within spit'n distance tomorrow afternoon if'n ya have a hankering to meet for supper?
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

  17. #17

    Default

    We'll get together one of these days Smoke. I promise. I got a whole pack of lies stored up that need telling. Just promise that if you see through them that you will nod your head in agreement anywhoo.

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    47

    Default

    I'm still laughing about the rifle being "tighter than a bulls arse in fly season" comment.

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    8,809

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    That 45/70 otta be a real coyote thump'n round for you EKC, get you a bandolier, or better yet two, stuff a couple hundred rounds in them loops and you'll be the talk of the town!
    Sure. Running Straight Away, he could get at least 3 with one shot. That's why a Single Shot is no problem for him.

    EKC knows how to line'em up, too. I'm proud of that guy.

    I'll bet he's ALREADY the "Talk of the Town". Shucky Gee, he's known by folks way up hyar in the Greatland.

    SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •