Thread: Salmon sausage

Default Salmon sausage

We inherited (via Santa) a Kitchen Aid mixer this Christmas and I've been reading about it's various uses and attachments. A meat grinder/sausage attachment has piqued my interest. We don't have a lot of game meat around the house, unless you consider salmon. And I'd never heard of salmon sausage -- until I googled it. A small handful of people apparently have written about it, and liked it. Some of it looks incredibly tasty.

Which leads me to my question and the purpose of this post. How many of you have made or eaten salmon sausage (as in stuffed in casing)? Care to share any recommendations for recipes or instructions for making them? I think it would be interesting to try... And maybe a good way to add some additional variation to the use of salmon!
    Palmer, Alaska
    "There are some things money can buy. For everything else, there's ALASKA!"

I like Salmon sausage. many people do not.
    I think it is one of those love it or leave it kinda foods.
    I know Tustumena smokehouse makes and sells this stuff. That's where the stuff I ate came from.
    I have never looked for or heard of a receipe for it.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

I believe there is a thread somewhere on this forum on just that topic.

I'm sure I stole this recipe from the internet and modified it, but this works very well for me:
    Run all of the following through a meat grinder:

Smoked Salmon Bellies - 7 lb (you could just add liquid smoke, if you haven't smoked the bellies)
    Salmon filets - 7 lb
    salt - 1/4 cup (If your salmon bellies aren't salted, you might want to add a little more salt than this, but I wouldn't)
    mustard seed - 1/4 cup
    celery seed - 1/4 cup
    dill seed - 1/4 cup
    fresh sage - 4 healthy sprigs (more sage would be better, I think)
    Fresh Garlic - 4 small heads (that's heads, not cloves. Lots of garlic)
    Lemon juice and zest from 2 lemons
    Black Pepper - 1/4 cup (add some Cayenne or any other hot pepper if you like spicy. This recipe isn't very spicy just with the black pepper)
    Salmon Broth - 2 1/4 cup (Maybe only mix in 1 3/4 cup at first, and add more if it seems like the texture needs more.
    Potato Starch - 1 1/2 cups

After grinding and mixing this all together, I rolled the sausage in saran wrap with a sushi mat. Look online on how to make california rolls, and I used the same technique. Twisted the ends to tie them and wrapped in in freezer paper. I don't let them thaw all the way before I slice them and put them in the frying pan. If they thaw all the way, they are hard to cut. I cut medallions or discs about the size of a checker piece, and fry them both sides on a non-stick pan or on cast iron with a little bit of oil.

Quote Originally Posted by HikerDan View Post
    I'm sure I stole this recipe from the internet and modified it, but this works very well for me:
    Run all of the following through a meat grinder:

<snip>
    Definitely trying that one. Thanks!
    Palmer, Alaska
    "There are some things money can buy. For everything else, there's ALASKA!"

I tried it once. I had trouble finding a good recipe so kinda winged it. The flavor was ok but I added too much filler and the consistancy turned out like playdo

I'll have to give HikerDan's recipe a go. I'm sure with the right consistency we'd eat a lot of them!
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

I'm giving up my salmon sausage recipe. I invented it because I found nothing on the internet I wanted. I have always mixed some halibut in but you wouldn't need to. I've stuffed this same recipe into snack sticks and it comes out excellent. I like it best made into patties. It sticks together better than burger. Trust me. This is good.

Fish burger

10lbs Sockeye Salmon
    10lbs Halibut

⅓ cup salt

2 cup almond flour

1 cup honey

1 tsp ground ginger

2 tsp ground nutmeg

2 Tablespoons ground white pepper

2 teaspoons cyan pepper (2 teaspoons just gives you some lingering heat) with

1 tsp sage

1 tsp garlic granules

1 1/2 cup olive oil

2 cup ice water

Grind fish semi frozen and stuff into perfect patties. Makes the best burgers!

T Fitz.