Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problems seating primers in lapua brass

Default Problems seating primers in lapua brass

I have been loading up some lapua and other brass in 308.
    Using a wilson priming tool( which works nicely), and have trouble with lapua brass
    only. The wilson uses a shell holder to align the case with the rod.
    About half the lapua cases will hardly fit into the shell holder, or barely, causing the case to be cockeyed and not seat primer.
    The other brass ( several others) work great
    Any ideas...

I'm going to WAG (I don't shoot .308, but do use Lapua brass in 6.5x55) that the Lapua is on spec and the other (American?) stuff, and/or perhaps the shell holder, is slightly off-spec. I'd find a different shell holder properly fitted for the Lapua brass. I've had the same issue with shell holders; one brand is too tight, while another brand fits fine. RCBS is usually on the looser side, in my experience.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by sh View Post
    Any ideas...
    Use a different priming tool and/or shell holder. I've primed Lapua .308 cases with my RCBS Posi-Prime and RCBS shell holder without a hitch. Lapua brass is friggin' awesome! Don't give up on it.

Thanks i will try those ideas

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by L. G. View Post
    Lapua brass is friggin' awesome! Don't give up on it.
    Yeah, sounds like it.

Yahoo "problems with Lapua brass".

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Yeah, sounds like it.

Yahoo "problems with Lapua brass".

Smitty of the North
    I'll take personal experience over internet jibber jabber every day of the week and twice on Sunday!

. . . and your experience with Lapua brass is?

I don't have any Lapua brass, but I do have an old RCBS '06 shell holder that won't fit in their new priming tool. There was a slight change in size some many years ago. I could be yours is an old shell holder, maybe your shell holder is just "off" a bit. At $10 or so, I'd just try a different shell holder.

This is where the picked on gun counter guy at a local store earns his $. Take your brass & tool into your local store and explain the problem to said gun counter person. He may let you try (without a live primer!) several shell holders, different brands?, to see if one will fit.

Lapua brass is my #1 choice in the calibers that they make and I reload for - absolutely the best in my experience.
    "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"

correction, it is actually a Sinclair priming tool I am using.
    they give you a shell holder to use with it that is truncated, so it will fit inside the tool head.
    some of the lapua brass slides in fine, some don't. all the nosler, barnes, etc. I have work fine.
    I will have to experiment and try a few things , since the lapua brass is the best.

Quote Originally Posted by sh View Post
    correction, it is actually a Sinclair priming tool I am using.
    they give you a shell holder to use with it that is truncated, so it will fit inside the tool head.
    some of the lapua brass slides in fine, some don't. all the nosler, barnes, etc. I have work fine.
    I will have to experiment and try a few things , since the lapua brass is the best.
    Is it rim/head diameter causing the bind? In the case of 6.5x55 brass, Lapua brass is properly sized, while with U.S. manufactured brass the rim is undersized. I wonder if similar is true of U.S. .308 brass vs. European/NATO spec brass? If that's the case, and if Sinclair has spec'd their machining tolerances to U.S. brass dimensions, that would explain it. Regardless, I bet a call to Sinclair would yield a fix in short order.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Is it rim/head diameter causing the bind? In the case of 6.5x55 brass, Lapua brass is properly sized, while with U.S. manufactured brass the rim is undersized. I wonder if similar is true of U.S. .308 brass vs. European/NATO spec brass? If that's the case, and if Sinclair has spec'd their machining tolerances to U.S. brass dimensions, that would explain it. Regardless, I bet a call to Sinclair would yield a fix in short order.
    Yes , that is exactly what seems to be the issue

Quote Originally Posted by L. G. View Post
    I'll take personal experience over internet jibber jabber every day of the week and twice on Sunday!

. . . and your experience with Lapua brass is?
    Why would you ask, and why would I tell you, since your are unable to benefit from the experiences that are posted on the Internet?

SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

Why would you ask, and why would I tell you, since your are unable to benefit from the experiences that are posted on the Internet?

SOTN
    Now that's funny!
    The spec is .473 diameter and .054 rim thickness...I'm guessing that is SAAMI max. I don't have any Lapua brass, but of the 3 types I have, Lake City comes the closest at .470 and .053, so it's all "under sized"? Anyone know the minimum? I'm curious as to the measurements on the OP's brass. Lapua and Sinclair both make good stuff, but nobody is perfect all the time. Mark

Quote Originally Posted by AKC172 View Post
    Anyone know the minimum?
    I know how to look it up... http://www.saami.org/pubresources/cc...Winchester.pdf
    #Resist

Thanks!....bookmarked.

I noticed a lot of my lapua 308 hulls have a burr on the rims that sometimes seems to hang them up in rcbs shell holders.

i measured a few and the rims averaged about 0.057 thick and right at 0.470 dia.

Obviously, I lean towards the problem being due to the brass, even it's the (wonderful?) Lapua Brass.

The search reveals that there are other problems with Lapua Brass, too. Surely, there are problems with All brands of brass.

The only problems I've had with brass to shellholder fit were due to the brass, which seems the more likely. Usually, my shellholders fit over the rims, loosely.

SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

The only problems I've had with brass to shellholder fit were due to the brass, which seems the more likely. Usually, my shellholders fit over the rims, loosely.

SOTN
    Not disputing your experience, but mine has been the opposite. Only problem I've had was because the shell holder was too tight. Brass was within proper spec. Shell holder was Redding, brass was Lapua. Just goes to show you can run into manufacturing tolerance issues with even the best brands. In fact, it's probably more likely with manufacturers which hold to very tight tolerances. As stated previously, my RCBS shellholders have always been on the sloppy loose side tho...

The search reveals that there are other problems with Lapua Brass, too. Surely, there are problems with All brands of brass.

SOTN
    Yup, no manufacturer can ever be 100% immune to manufacturing defects. However, in my limited experience I've never had any issue with Lapua brass. And of the so called "problems" I've read about on various other web forums, they most all appear to stem from some poster who doesn't seem to have firm grasp on cause and effect.
    #Resist

Not disputing your experience, but mine has been the opposite. Only problem I've had was because the shell holder was too tight. Brass was within proper spec. Shell holder was Redding, brass was Lapua. Just goes to show you can run into manufacturing tolerance issues with even the best brands. In fact, it's probably more likely with manufacturers which hold to very tight tolerances. As stated previously, my RCBS shellholders have always been on the sloppy loose side tho...

Yup, no manufacturer can ever be 100% immune to manufacturing defects. However, in my limited experience I've never had any issue with Lapua brass. And of the so called "problems" I've read about on various other web forums, they most all appear to stem from some poster who doesn't seem to have firm grasp on cause and effect.
    Well, whatever, but because Lapua is spose to be so great, I always notice, and have noticed complaints about it. I've heard of necks being too thick, and tight primer pockets.

I've got probably All brands of shell holders. I think they may vary in thickness, somewhat. Enough that if I have a seating die set for an OAL, I always use the SAME shell holder each time, to get the same OAL.

I've not noticed any variance in how they fit the brass, yet. But I spose anything is possible. You'd think that Redding would be quality.

My impression is that it would take a much larger than the norm, rim diameter to fit tightly in my shell holders, spec or no spec. I've never thought it took a lot of "grasp" to tell if your brass doesn't fit the shell holder and diagnose the cause.

But, I see a possible marketing opportunity for Lapua. They could sell their own brand of IN SPEC SHELL HOLDERS.

Here is an interesting read, regarding Lupua brass in 308. http://benchrest.com/showthread.php?...brass-problem)

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

I manufacture ammo here in Indiana and I have loaded and have shot competitive bencrest. I have quite a bit of experience with L.E. Wilson dies. My first action would be to call Wilson and talk to them. Thier dies are designed for precision shooters and most of them use Lapua brass. Did your brass come in a gold box or the plastic blue box?

223 Rem, 223 AI, 6mmBR, 6mm Dasher, 243 AI, 6.5x284 Norma, 308 Win, 338 Lapua

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast