Thread: Kenai Pen Brown bear Season --OPEN

Default Kenai Pen Brown bear Season --OPEN

I asked Jeff Selinger about the EO from last Oct.
    Heres his return email response....

The RB300 hunt reopened January 1, 2015 so if you happen to see any brown bears moving around during this snow-free, abnormally warm winter you are good to go as long as the bear is in a legal area for harvest (the Refuge is closed to brown bear hunting), you have a 2014-15 RB300 permit, a 2015 hunting license, and a 2015 brown bear metal locking tag. Good Luck!
    Jeff

Jeff Selinger
    Kenai Area Wildlife Biologist
    Alaska Department of Fish & Game
    43961 Kalifornsky Beach, Suite B
    Soldotna, Alaska 99669
    (907) 260-2905
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

cod..........Thank You for posting that information.

Picked up all the tags last week and put 9 miles in on Saturday, unfortunately didn't find any sign in the area I was hiking.
    "One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted"
    Jose Ortega y Gasset, Meditations on Hunting.

Limon will like to hear that... he just posted about seeing brown bear tracks while walking the dogs..but he didn't think the season was open.
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

I will post if the monster that left tracks here a couple weeks ago returns. In Nikiski.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Does that mean baiting will be a go again? New quota?
    Grab a friend, a rifle and go hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by JuliW View Post
    Limon will like to hear that... he just posted about seeing brown bear tracks while walking the dogs..but he didn't think the season was open.

I PM'ed him just before starting this thread. I had mentioned it in the middle of another thread and thought most would pick up on it. I should have taken AGL's advice and started the new thread immediately. OH well. I have tag in hand.

I've been thinking about this since your other post cod. I think it's great that they did this, but have been wondering if anybody has ever seen the F&G do this before with either bear, or any other big game? Meaning, have they ever shut down a season by EO and then reopened it up again during that same season, either after the first of the year or at any other time within that same season? I don't think I've ever seen it in the regs before......but can't say that I was looking.

Go get em cod......but after last year you may need a bit more luck to top that...!!!.......lol.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Both the refuge and the department have proposals in the current BOG cycle, but due to the timing of proposal deadlines (proposals were due before the season was over) those published will not reflect what will be put forth at the BOG meeting. Though final amendments will not be known until the department A&R's are made public, I know that both agencies amended proposals will be more cpnservative than the "placeholder" proposals in the book. Without addressing baiting, the dept is likely to endorse proposals similar to what they pushed in the last cycle. Expect a seperation of "back country"(refuge) and "front country" (basically everything else). BC sow cap at 3, FC at 7, to be managed independently but with an overall harvest limit of 40 bears total. If baiting is continued we can expect a short spring season and no fall season at all should this proposal be enacted. No surprise at all, as this was exactly what was predicted to happen when the liberal brown bear seasons were enacted last board cycle.
    With the BOG going to a 3 year cycle, kenai proposals won't be accepted again until 2018, and heard at meetings in 2019. I expect that given the HUGE interval between this meeting and the next, more conservative regulations will be strongly pushed for not just brownies but everything from grouse to sheep.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

I think they look at this as a Predator Control program, with quotas per YEAR. The Brown Bears are still a problem in areas inhabited by humans.

There is much about last years harvest numbers that was/is interesting.

It is the cheapest Brown Bear hunt that many Anchorage area hunters will every have. This gift will not last long.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    I've been thinking about this since your other post cod. I think it's great that they did this, but have been wondering if anybody has ever seen the F&G do this before with either bear, or any other big game? Meaning, have they ever shut down a season by EO and then reopened it up again during that same season, either after the first of the year or at any other time within that same season? I don't think I've ever seen it in the regs before......but can't say that I was looking.

Go get em cod......but after last year you may need a bit more luck to top that...!!!.......lol.

Good news COD, thanks for sharing! I guess I better get the scope back on my bear gun! I've seen tracks two out of the last three weekends, couldn't tell if they were the same animal or not. Curious to see what they do with our season, sure hope it lasts longer than spring baiting!

Ready for some bear calling COD?

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    Good news COD, thanks for sharing! I guess I better get the scope back on my bear gun! I've seen tracks two out of the last three weekends, couldn't tell if they were the same animal or not. Curious to see what they do with our season, sure hope it lasts longer than spring baiting!
    Ready for some bear calling COD?
    I have it been out calling ANYTHING yet. Been waiting for snow. That's not been working out too well. So a couple weeks ago I ordered a new Honda rubicon, coming by April.
    One of these upcoming days I'm going to drag out the 3 wheeler and go blow my calls out where I shot Mr Bear. With these conditions who knows what might show? Bl bear, br bear, coyote, wolf? Could be any of em.
    But...... Come onnnnnn, SNOW!!!!
    Maybe get u out here again this winter, Limon?

[QUOTE=4merguide;1452319] have they ever shut down a season by EO and then reopened it up again during that same season, either after the first of the year or at any other time within that same season? QUOTE]

I was one of the last guys to fill a 2014 RB300 tag so looked into this carefully. The quota for human caused mortalities is 70 for each calendar year. The hunt was closed on October 21 because the 2014 quota was met but a new quota began on Jan 1. Any bears killed this spring count against the 2015 quota.

I agree this is confusing. I hope the refuge opens to brown bear but I expect they will keep it closed until ADFG makes changes that satisfy them.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBC View Post
    I agree this is confusing. I hope the refuge opens to brown bear but I expect they will keep it closed until ADFG makes changes that satisfy them.
    I wouldn't doubt the Feds may think that enough bears will be killed outside the refuge that they won't have to open their precious refuge it at all......

Sure wouldn't surprise me.....

Cod.......empty some of your pm's so I can send you another one...!!!........lol

Thank You..........VERY Helpful information.

Quote Originally Posted by akbc View Post
    The quota for human caused mortalities is 70 for each calendar year. The hunt was closed on october 21 because the 2014 quota was met but a new quota began on jan 1. Any bears killed this spring count against the 2015 quota.

Gotta bring this thread back to life fellas....

So... looking at the regs for RB300 the season dates are "September 1 - May 31, unless closed by Emergency Order"....The EO happened.

Well who's to know that "this hunt reopened on Jan 01" without this single email to one single guy?

Should not another EO have happened to reopen this hunt?

Reading the regs as they are now... this hunt is closed.

I'm Cornfuseded!
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Quote Originally Posted by akiceman25 View Post
    Gotta bring this thread back to life fellas....

So... looking at the regs for RB300 the season dates are "September 1 - May 31, unless closed by Emergency Order"....The EO happened.

Well who's to know that "this hunt reopened on Jan 01" without this single email to one single guy?

Should not another EO have happened to reopen this hunt?

Reading the regs as they are now... this hunt is closed.

I'm Cornfuseded!
    Yeah......I guess we were all "just supposed to know" that the SAME hunt would reopen the first of the year AFTER AN EO CLOSURE.......lol. I know I sure didn't have a clue that they would reopen it again, and mistakenly told somebody (after the first) that it had been closed by EO.

Like you say, it would have been nice to know when and where, or IF, they posted this info somewhere. But I can't say I'm a regular on the F&G website. I just assumed it would stay closed. And you know what they say about assuming.....

I was told the season dates an the regulatory year that govern the quota are not the same, regulatory quota is calendar year, which is why it reopened. That wasn't obvious in the regs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk