Thread: Interesting Line Experience

Default Interesting Line Experience

THe day after Christmas I went out to pull the rest of my marten line before I left to go hunting in Ohio. I had 70 or so boxes to grab and got after it at daylight. Everything was going smooth, and I hit a spur road I was really excited to check. I had recently put out 4 boxes in a new area to test for next year and I was hoping that I'd have one or two. When I pulled in the spur there was a truck parked about 50 yards from my first box with two fellas just standing there. Weird I said to my partner, what are they doing out here? Anyway I get to the first box and it is smashed, the trap is ripped off the box (wire broken) and I find the trap 3 feet in a small spruce. Huh? SO I continue to the next one, the box is moved and the trap set off. Maybe I missed one? Get to the third and the box is down the hill, trap set off. Now I am suspicious. You don't miss 3 in a row. I was wishing there was snow but I couldn't figure out what the heck was happening. Then it hit me - those dudes in the truck probably either hated trapping and messed with my gear OR I set on top of them. I got a bit upset and said to the partner - I am going to go grab that last one and go have a chat with those fellas. As I round the bend to the last one, waddling down the center of the spur was a giant black bear. He was just veering into my last set. I couldn't believe it. I grabbed for the rifle but he saw us before I could make anything happen and he bounded off. Last set was untouched. Man am I glad I witnessed the bear otherwise I would have swore it was human. Pretty funny stuff.
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

Default Interesting Line Experience

Wow that's crazy! I've switched firearms from my squirrel rabbit gun bak the the 12ga. Walking my dog after finding bear tracks on the last 2 out of 3 dog walks! I'm afraid the ones I'm seeing are brown bears (closed) unfortunately!

Glad you didn't chew on those guys hanging out there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sweet story! I miss marten trapping down there. That blackie probably just needed more time to ponder how to get at the bait without setting off the trap. LOL

Was there any black bear hair in or on any of the traps/set area?
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Interesting story for sure! What's the old saying, believe half of what you see and none of what you hear???
    I was picking up garbage at a popular party spot on a farmers lane one day that I had nothing to do with but hated to see the mess when I went fishing there and the farmer showed up and raised hell with me for "dumping" garbage until he gave me a chance to explain I was not the responsible one. Made a good friend in the end and got some prime ground to hunt and trap on but the first few minutes were interesting to say the least!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Awesome Smokey. I don't know if you are aware, but you might be able to sell some of those for a little more than the fur market brings by offering them to taxidermists. http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php
    Especially anything uniquely colored or very large.
    Taxidermy IS art!

Thanks for the tip Juli, I will look into it! I have a few sold to individuals already and wife wanted some to hang on the wall ( God I love this gal ) so I am getting a few tanned...
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Honestly I was thinking wolverine for some reason. I was thinking if it was the guys they would have taken your traps. Wolverines can be notorious for messing up marten sets!

Quote Originally Posted by nwf99 View Post
    Honestly I was thinking wolverine for some reason. I was thinking if it was the guys they would have taken your traps. Wolverines can be notorious for messing up marten sets!

Yep - your initial assumption would be correct for most of the state of AK - except POW ... although a friend of mine once said he saw a 'very large bushy, brown animal' dive into some rocks when he was on top of a mtn deer hunting. He always figured it had been a wolverine, but was never able to confirm it.
    Taxidermy IS art!