Thread: Whats a decent 10 day float on the Noatak

Default Whats a decent 10 day float on the Noatak

Hoping to do a 10 day float on the noatak in 2016 for char and dollies. Anyone willing to offer up some good options? At first we wanted to go from 12 mile sough down to kelly but I dont think we could make the entire trip in 10-12 days. Thought about flying up the anisak and float down it to the noatak and then down to kelly river, could this be done in 10 days? Also thought about 12 mile slough to the cuttler, or drop up stream on the cuttler and float it down to the noatak and then down to the kelly. Looking for about a 12 -14 day trip with about 10 days of actual floating, allowing 4 days for delays and fishing, and hoping to time the char.Thinking about end of August first week of Sept. No hunting just floating and fishing. Jim kincaid is one pilot we were thinking of any other sugesstions?
    Thanks to all that offer suggestions.

I would suggest calling some pilots and getting their input. Drop and pickup points are often limited depending on aircraft. Make some calls and see what options are available and then get a few options and think about which one works and sounds the best for your time and expectations.
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

Bushwacker

I outfit up there so I have some incite that may help.

That section of the Noatak is slow so don't plan on anything more than 15-18 miles per day unless you have to. The Dolly fishing is not going to be very good on the main stem of the Noatak so I suggest that you get up onto the Kug or the Kelly which will give you about 25 miles of Dolly fishing and about 40 miles of floating down to the village of Noatak.In Noatak you can load your gear onto Bering Air and fly back to kotz which will save you a butt load of $ over a charter. The charter will cost you $800 an hour.

If chasing the Dollies is your focus that is the ticket but it is only a 6-7 day trip. Another and better trip would be to hit the Wulik and float down to the village of Kivilina and Bering Air back out as well. Once again that is not 10 days but the fishing will be crazy good. World record crazy good. You will catch dollies in the 20 pound range and lots in the 15-18 pound range. Our average group will land 100+ in the 13-15 pound range and almost every group lands at least 1 in the 20-23 pound range.

Check out this link: http://www.flyfisherman.com/canada/n...s-arctic-char/

We outfitted Landon Mayer who most fly fishermen know from Fly Fisherman Magazine a few years back. The link will give you a peek from one of our clients. We are mentioned in the story and the rivers I mentioned were the same ones we put Landon and his crew on. Crazy Good!

Go to my web site at www.northwestalaska.net and click on the fishing tab and the slide show to see what is found in those waters. We outfit trips on all 3 of those river for the fall spawn run which is at or about Aug 15th into early September. I do a number of these trips each fall and can help you out with the entire trip or just offer pointers.

Walt
    northwestalaska.net
    World Class Dolly and Sheefishing trips
    Unit 23-Kotzebue
    907-259-4290
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hey Walt, thanks for the reply, I sent you an email.

Quote Originally Posted by DannerAK View Post
    I would suggest calling some pilots and getting their input. Drop and pickup points are often limited depending on aircraft. Make some calls and see what options are available and then get a few options and think about which one works and sounds the best for your time and expectations.
    Yup, I did contact Jim Kincaid, he gave me the above mentioned put ins and take out. Hoping to confirm with others here who have done some of those trips and get their input.
    Thaks for the reply