Thread: 130 year old Winchester found in Great Basin Nat'l Park

Default 130 year old Winchester found in Great Basin Nat'l Park

http://www.winchesterguns.com/librar...ail.asp?id=652

How wicked cool would this be? I wonder how many things are sitting out here in Alaska. They probably wont fare as well as something in the dry southwest. I know one guy who's dad left a pre-64 model 70 sitting on a mountainside after a sheep hunt while they were skinning it, thinking they would get it the next day, but then got weathered out and couldn't find it. I could only imagine finding that, 40 years down the road.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

I've lost several knives by setting them on top of a gut pile while i was field dressing and then forgetting them.
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,
    Teach a man to fish and he'll also learn to drink, lie, and avoid the honey do list.

I would worry more about some old bear trapper that perished during the trapping season and somewhere - out there - is a nasty bear trap waiting for someone to step in! Yikes!
    Many years ago in a Nat'l forest in New Mexico on an elk hunt I found a grove of birch trees with many names and dates carved into them dating back to the very early 1900's. Very legible and cool to read...
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Quote Originally Posted by highestview View Post
    http://www.winchesterguns.com/librar...ail.asp?id=652

How wicked cool would this be? I wonder how many things are sitting out here in Alaska. They probably wont fare as well as something in the dry southwest. I know one guy who's dad left a pre-64 model 70 sitting on a mountainside after a sheep hunt while they were skinning it, thinking they would get it the next day, but then got weathered out and couldn't find it. I could only imagine finding that, 40 years down the road.
    That is so cool...!!! Reminds me of the movie Jeremiah Johnson when he found that frozen dead guy up on the mountain holding his rifle across his lap, with the note attached something like...... "Whoever finds me take my gun......it kilt the bear that kilt me."
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!